IGNORED

Birthday Bingo with the Maxwells

uber frau

It's Jesse Maxwell's birthday.

Can you list 5 special things about Jesse?

Little known facts about Jesse:

He’s amazingly strong and extremely fit. (Remember, he’s the one who will summit a 14er, and then go back down to carry someone else’s pack up. That’s amazing.)

He’s very organized.

He drinks his coffee with no sweeteners.

He makes a lawn look incredible.

He’s awesome with public speaking and can share a powerful message the Lord has laid on his heart.

Happy Birthday. We love you, Jesse!

How did you go? I must admit I only got 4. His talent with lawn care was a new revelation.

Happy Birthday Jesse.

One year closer until you die. I really hope you escape and live a full and productive life before then. :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL @ unsweetened coffee. If it were coming from anyone else, I would not think anything of someone liking black coffee. But coming from the Maxwells, it screams "COFFEE IS NOT FUN"

Even though I usually drink my coffee black, I'm thinking on adding sugar to it next time. It's kinda disturbing to be similar to a Maxwell in *any* way.

Even though I usually drink my coffee black, I'm thinking on adding sugar to it next time. It's kinda disturbing to be similar to a Maxwell in *any* way.

I'm a sucker for CCM and I was listening to a song the other day and I really liked it. Then I heard a phrase that I remembered that Ken Alexander said it once and I could never go back to that song. Ever. Blech. Fundies ruin everything.

Just how are we supposed to respond to Jesse drinking coffee "without sweeteners"?

Are we supposed to swoon over his manliness or something? Sorry, not impressed.

Hey Steve, when my son is in the field and can't heat water, he and his buddies open the coffee packets, pour the crystals into their mouths and start chomping. Plus. NO SWEETENERS!

How many people on FJ drink their coffee black? And why can't they just say "he drinks his coffee black"? And why is this exciting?

Also, why am I so agitated by it? I need a life. :?

I still think he lost weight and is too skinny. Hope you had a nice bday and got 3 animal crackers....

We really don't hear much about him. Is lawn mowing his work? What does his chore pack have him doing all day....

--------------------- All I could think of is the overly manly man meme. Sugar? You mean like b*tch powder?

Yay, happy birthday, you little man-slave. :(

Oh, see, my mind went straight to this with the coffee thing.

[bBvideo 560,340:6s8lmtpx]

[/bBvideo]

I still think he lost weight and is too skinny. Hope you had a nice bday and got 3 animal crackers....

We really don't hear much about him. Is lawn mowing his work? What does his chore pack have him doing all day....

So I've been reading through the blog since I'm up a lot at night nursing a baby. When Jesse was 13-14 they wrote a post about his lawn work. At that time he was mowing their yard, the grandparents' yard, and some of the neighbors'. He was also doing lawn maintenance on their yard and possibly landscaping if I remember correctly. He was doing some small engine repair work on lawn mowers as well. I'm pretty sure it sounded as if he taught himself must of this stuff. I remember reading this and being impressed because when I was that age I was I was doing nothing of the sort. I was too busy biking around town with my friends and playing tennis.

This also got me thinking - do the Maxwell "children" throw themselves into stuff like this because it's their only outlet. I mean, if all you do is read the Bible and spend time with your family, anything else must be an escape of sorts. So no wonder he's teaching himself small engine repair and starting a lawn mowing business at 13. It's as close to "fun" as he can get. It must also be why they're so into working out.

--------------------- All I could think of is the overly manly man meme. Sugar? You mean like b*tch powder?

if that isn't in an actual meme, it needs to be

So I've been reading through the blog since I'm up a lot at night nursing a baby. When Jesse was 13-14 they wrote a post about his lawn work. At that time he was mowing their yard, the grandparents' yard, and some of the neighbors'. He was also doing lawn maintenance on their yard and possibly landscaping if I remember correctly. He was doing some small engine repair work on lawn mowers as well. I'm pretty sure it sounded as if he taught himself must of this stuff. I remember reading this and being impressed because when I was that age I was I was doing nothing of the sort. I was too busy biking around town with my friends and playing tennis.

This also got me thinking - do the Maxwell "children" throw themselves into stuff like this because it's their only outlet. I mean, if all you do is read the Bible and spend time with your family, anything else must be an escape of sorts. So no wonder he's teaching himself small engine repair and starting a lawn mowing business at 13. It's as close to "fun" as he can get. It must also be why they're so into working out.

No, they do it because it's expected of them. Every male Maxwell is supposed to start earning an income as soon as they can so they can buy a home debt-free. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, but when you've already had your path in life laid out for you, they're not really as entrepreneurial nor as ambitious as they'd like us to think. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Steve was the one who assigned a career path for each kid, regardless of his aptitude or interest. Nathan, you'll be our computer geek. Christopher, photographer. Sarah, writer. John, irrigation. Joe, what DOES Joe do, anyway? Jesse, lawn care. Sarah, cook. Mary, art. So Daddy says and so it shall be. While it may be somewhat impressive on the face of it, it's the kid who has a dream and bring it to fruition out of nowhere, all on his or her own, who really gets my respect.

Yay, happy birthday, you little man-slave. :(

Doesn't John drink his black too? Or was think Smirkeph?

And it can't be a "profession" that they enjoy. Can't have work made into an idol. :cray-cray:

If that closed leg stance isn't an FU to FJ, I don't know what is.

If you look really closely, he's not actually closed-legged; he is doing a sort of wide stance, one leg behind the other, on two rocks. :lol:

Just how are we supposed to respond to Jesse drinking coffee "without sweeteners"?

Are we supposed to swoon over his manliness or something? Sorry, not impressed.

Hey Steve, when my son is in the field and can't heat water, he and his buddies open the coffee packets, pour the crystals into their mouths and start chomping. Plus. NO SWEETENERS!

How many people on FJ drink their coffee black? And why can't they just say "he drinks his coffee black"? And why is this exciting?

Also, why am I so agitated by it? I need a life. :?

Not from usmcmom's post, but to nelliebelle - I liked "Smirkeph." heh-heh, heh-heh!!

To usmcmom, army(retired)mom here. Even though my junior is back in civvies, combat will be with them the rest of their lives. I salute you and yours.

Two more things. One, we have to understand that Stevovah Sarah isn't writing this blog for married women like ourselves. Oh no no no. Those of you old enough to have heard of "Tiger Beat" and "16" magazine will remember the joys of learning insider, intimate details of your TV crush's life.

For young women and older girls in the far reaches of Maxhell, the info about the Maxmales is very much their "fan" reading. "Ooh, if Jesse were to choose me to court, I would get rid of ALLLLLLL the Sweet'n'Low and only use sugar if Mother Maxwell approves it in a recipe, and ONLY if Jesse likes it. ....where's my pink highlighter .... MRS. JESSE MAXWELL. BIANCA SMITH MAXWELL ..... ah, swoon .... but do NOT practice kissing on his image on the screen!!!

For me, the fascination at the Maxwells is twofold. I grew up not far from Leavenworth, and it was our destination for a "trip into town for movies and dinner out." When we took the train somewhere, our depot was Leavenworth. It was my big city and I loved it, loved it. It's one reason why knowing that Steve has his house of stupidity there rankles me.

The other is that while my folks were very sincere people and not hypocrites in any way, they tended to be pretty critical of me and my sibs, and vocally so about friends we brought home or hung out with. I was the kind of child to whom parental approval meant boatloads, so I morphed pretty swiftly from being a gutsy, outspoken little wonder into a self-doubting, frightened, terminally awkward kid. As they say in Monty Python, I got better! - but Steve & Teri & their handiwork trigger bad feelings more often than I'd like to admit.

It's why I'd love to see the kids, especially Poor Sarah, get the lives they would have without such insane amounts of parental involvement. And the sooner, the better. Let Poor Sarah be Sarah! :embarrassed:

He drinks his coffee black, will Stevehovah make coffee the new Pepsi? :stir-pot:

Oh Jeeezus, I swear they mentioned the unsweetened coffee in Jesse's birthday post last year. Good to know nothing has changed.

EDIT: Just checked -- 2 of those "little-known facts" (coffee and lawns) can indeed be found in last year's birthday post:

He loves a good cup of espresso (and he can drink it without any sweeteners!).

He spearheaded and was responsible for getting the audio downloads on our site.

He completely designed and programmed the mobile version of Titus2. (If you have a smartphone, check Titus2 out on it.)

He’s an amazing pianist (self-taught, I might add).

He is very knowledgeable about lawns and does an incredible job maintaining them.

He was determined to get a deeply rooted, 350+ pound tree stump out of Joseph’s yard recently, and he did.

He will tackle any project you give him and succeed no matter how long it takes.

They are so borg-like and lacking in their own unique personalities that they have to put coffee preference as an "interesting" fact. Jeez. It's like Raising 16 Children when a viewer asks if the Duggar kids are allowed to have their own interests and John David chimes in with "Some of us don't like pickles!" Real indivijy-ality (as Michelle would say) there...

Archived