IGNORED

Minimum amount of $$ needed to run the Maxwell household.

albanuadh_1

I'd be shocked if Steve (or any other Maxwell when they're eligible) collects Social Security. Even though he paid/pays into it, I'm lay odds that he thinks it's of the devil and that he'd never lower himself to accept one cent of his entitlement.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be shocked if Steve (or any other Maxwell when they're eligible) collects Social Security. Even though he paid/pays into it, I'm lay odds that he thinks it's of the devil and that he'd never lower himself to accept one cent of his entitlement.

Love you, sparkles, but I wouldn't go that far. Social Security is taken from our paychecks throughout our working lives. It's our money, invested [sic] for us by the government and held until we reach a certain age. So taking it is certainly not a government handout nor entitlement, but the receipt of something that was always ours to begin with. Yep, I bet you dollars to donuts: Steve's collecting his social. ;-)

Love you, sparkles, but I wouldn't go that far. Social Security is taken from our paychecks throughout our working lives. It's our money, invested [sic] for us by the government and held until we reach a certain age. So taking it is certainly not a government handout nor entitlement, but the receipt of something that was always ours to begin with. Yep, I bet you dollars to donuts: Steve's collecting his social. ;-)

My money's on Steveovah collecting his social security especially considering that the conferences schedule looks lighter than before and the and sales of chore pack and other Maxwell wares might be drying up. He would have made a decent paycheck in his engineering career before being called home quitting the workforce, so while it may be necessary to take it to make ends meet it might be enough to cover living expenses. He wouldn't publish that fact though.

I dunno, I still have my doubts. He's enough of an arrogant, holier-than-thou ass that I can definitely see him refusing it on some grand Maxwellian principle, even though it's his money. Because he's so much better than the rest of us, you know.

Well, we'll never know either way, unless there's a crack in the very carefully constructed facade.

I dunno, I still have my doubts. He's enough of an arrogant, holier-than-thou ass that I can definitely see him refusing it on some grand Maxwellian principle, even though it's his money. Because he's so much better than the rest of us, you know.

Well, we'll never know either way, unless there's a crack in the very carefully constructed facade.

Well, he does seem to be the "anti ebil gubmint" type to refuse SS on principle however, I also think he's very good at making it look like he would. I think there's a lot of spin in Maxhell, just as I don't believe for a minute he was "called home" from his engineering career but just a more "godly" way to spin how it really went down, which was being let go (IMHO) and he might have even (no pun intended) engineered that.

Speaking of that very carefully constructed façade . . .

I think the Maxwells make most of their money from the books and 1Tonramp (although I wonder how many suckers sign up for that overpriced Christian course) with a fair amount of cash love offerings.

Are there any tax accountants here? I've wondered whether there's some creative stuff going on with their tax returns, both business and personal, but I'm terrible at financial stuff. They seem to channel everything, including the Moody books, through the family business, Communication Concepts, Inc. As we know this is a for profit business because Steve says he doesn't want the restrictions of a 501©.

If you look it up, Communications Concepts, Inc. states that it has 5 employees. Presumably these are Steve (president), Nathan (director?), Chris (CFO), Joseph (1TonRamp teacher) and perhaps Sarah or Teri? -- But the whole family works there. Some for no pay or do they call the others casual labor?

It looks on LinkedIn as though Nathan does some outside IT consulting with a couple of other businesses, and Chris has his photography business, but again these are subsidiaries of Communication Concepts. Christopher has a big portfolio and recently lightened up on his requirements for happy couples presumably to attract more business.

The business website says that Maxwell and Sons Construction, LLC is a two person business, specifically Joseph and John. Same address and phone # as Communication Concepts but not identified as a subsidiary of CC, Inc. on that website. The portfolio link doesn't work and there are no testimonials or reviews of the company that I can find. Have we ever seen any photos of Joseph or John doing construction work on other than Maxwell or friends' houses? I smell a tax write-off and they could get in trouble with the 3 in 5 rules.

The IrriTAtion web page, which reads like John's little high school project (I'll grade it D, could do better) smells like a tax write-off too. I wonder how many odd little businesses the Maxwells have begun, written off start-up costs, and then closed over the years. It's quite legal just rather sneaky.

In rural NE it's quite common to see numerous business signs blossoming in front yards. On long drives we amuse ourselves by counting and giving points for the most diverse services offered. A recent winner was "Hair and Nail Salon Walk-ins Welcome, Notary Public, Stump Grinding, Snow Plowing, Bait and Tackle, Guided Hunts, and Tax Return Preparation" all in the front yard of one small house and all seasons covered.

The Maxwells are not quite that enterprising. Yet. :lol:

It's on the technicalities but I doubt Steve has signed up for Social Security yet. At 62 he'd have had a 30% reduction and at 63 it's 25%. Plus there is a reduction for earnings over a small amount. He's probably better off waiting until closer to 65 or even 67 if he's still working. He could try to claim he's no longer working, but he lives in a smallish community and publishes what he's doing on a website. It would make it so easy to track his work and develop an audit. Self-employment earnings and whether a self-employed person is working have their own special rules.

And ::cough, cough:: Social Security is listed as an entitlement program. It's a Government program designed to provide a guaranteed benefit which is all an entitlement program is. Most people will get paid more than they paid in at least for the ones receiving now.

In rural NE it's quite common to see numerous business signs blossoming in front yards. On long drives we amuse ourselves by counting and giving points for the most diverse services offered. A recent winner was "Hair and Nail Salon Walk-ins Welcome, Notary Public, Stump Grinding, Snow Plowing, Bait and Tackle, Guided Hunts, and Tax Return Preparation" all in the front yard of one small house and all seasons covered.

This is a real business that Mr. No did advertising for: "Dentist and Pet Sitting".

And this is one I came up with, have yet to see it: "Bob's Used Toaster and Bait Shop".

Not certain if this has ever been discussed before. For some strange reason, I was thinking about this last night. :roll: What would the minimum monthly ( or yearly) income would the Maxwells require to function? The house, undoubtedly, has been paid for years ago but the utilities, groceries, maintenance, insurances, gas all cost.

Even their 'vacations' and conferences ( not to mention the cameras!!) wouldn't be cheap. Do they really bring in that much money or does Steve have really good pensions?

ETA: I'm not from the States so I don't know a lot of the costs there.

Sarah and I were emailing back and forth about photography and writing (this was a couple years ago) and she mentioned her camera cost 2,999 so that's a lot of money for someone who had never held a job before..I didn't want to ask but I always wondered if she paid for it with her moody money or if her parents bought it..or if they bought it for her using her moody money lol

I wonder if Scamaritan is counted as insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Or if ebil Obama is going to 'force' them to get proper insurance? (Or will they take the fine...)

This is a real business that Mr. No did advertising for: "Dentist and Pet Sitting".

And this is one I came up with, have yet to see it: "Bob's Used Toaster and Bait Shop".

Love it!

I wonder if Scamaritan is counted as insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Or if ebil Obama is going to 'force' them to get proper insurance? (Or will they take the fine...)

Scamaritan counts:(

From healthcare.gov

Exemptions from the payment

Under certain circumstances, you won’t have to make the individual responsibility payment. This is called an “exemption.â€

You may qualify for an exemption if:

You’re uninsured for less than 3 months of the year

The lowest-priced coverage available to you would cost more than 8% of your household income

You don’t have to file a tax return because your income is too low (Learn about the filing limit.)

You’re a member of a federally recognized tribe or eligible for services through an Indian Health Services provider

You’re a member of a recognized health care sharing ministry

You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare

You’re incarcerated (either detained or jailed), and not being held pending disposition of charges

You’re not lawfully present in the U.S.

I'm so surprised that it counts. It's not insurance, at least not in the traditional sense that your Anthem or Humana or Blue Cross/Blue Shield happens to be. I mean, what happens when, say, someone is a secret alcoholic for years and years and needs a liver transplant. Scamaritan says outright that it won't pay for illnesses from alcohol drinking...so that cost would just go to everyone else just as if they were uninsured...this makes no sense.

The only thing I would disagree with YPestis is that only the Maxwell men earn money.

Sarah with her Moody books does bring in income, and those books seem very popular among their blog readers and conference attendees.

Otherwise, yes, they don't have many of the expenses non-fundies have.

Teri is heavily involved with the writing and speaking gigs, isn't she? That would add another adult whose is able to contribute to household finances.

I think if he wasn't collecting, A Dad's Corner (or whatever the "rebranding" now is) would address the fact that godly men refuse their SS and remain independent.

From healthcare.gov

Yep, Scamaritan counts under Affordable Care -- with many cautions. And Nathan and Christopher are happy poster boys for Scamaritan.

samaritanministries.org/member-spotlight-nathan-maxwell-christopher-maxwell-itonramp-com/

It's $405 per month for a family + a $200 initial registration fee. In other Scamaritan related stories -- apparently, per Nathan, the cash and prayers pour in from other members if Melanie and assorted babes have crises. They did lose one baby and have had a couple of risky pregnancies and my sympathies are with them there. :(

But, am I being way too cynical when I wonder whether Nathan/extended Maxwell family have paid it back to Scamaritan as generously as they have received in the Special prayer and much $$$$ division? Perhaps even holding back on the purchase of an expensive camera or 3?

I'm so surprised that it counts. It's not insurance, at least not in the traditional sense that your Anthem or Humana or Blue Cross/Blue Shield happens to be. I mean, what happens when, say, someone is a secret alcoholic for years and years and needs a liver transplant. Scamaritan says outright that it won't pay for illnesses from alcohol drinking...so that cost would just go to everyone else just as if they were uninsured...this makes no sense.

And you tell the providers that you don't have insurance and are paying cash. They get the "uninsured" rate and any hits that the providers take because of it get passed on to us with insurance. Apparently there is a $500 deductible and if you get them to drop the rates by at least that much from the "insured" cost to the "uninsured" then you've covered your deductible.

I had the "pleasure" of sitting at a table for breakfast at a hotel on Monday morning next to a guy who was a minister and was shilling it to a couple (that was part of the group he was there with). He never mentioned it by name, but it was clear what he was talking about. I had to hurry up and finish eating so as to not say something. :angry-banghead:

And it shouldn't count as INSURANCE if you are telling the providers that you are UNINSURED. :naughty:

Over and above any lump-sum settlement he got from the employer he held hostage for a year to his petulance about going to lunch with a woman who was his business associate...

What are the details about this little nugget? I'm not a real avid Maxhellion, so I don't know a lot about their backgrouind. I keep up more now than I used to, but I've never heard about this intriguing sounding tidbit.

And you tell the providers that you don't have insurance and are paying cash. They get the "uninsured" rate and any hits that the providers take because of it get passed on to us with insurance. Apparently there is a $500 deductible and if you get them to drop the rates by at least that much from the "insured" cost to the "uninsured" then you've covered your deductible.

I had the "pleasure" of sitting at a table for breakfast at a hotel on Monday morning next to a guy who was a minister and was shilling it to a couple (that was part of the group he was there with). He never mentioned it by name, but it was clear what he was talking about. I had to hurry up and finish eating so as to not say something. :angry-banghead:

And it shouldn't count as INSURANCE if you are telling the providers that you are UNINSURED. :naughty:

Wow. That really pisses me off. But it's all okay I guess, because Nathan Maxwell can't be expected to pay for someone who needs medication as a result of poor diet or smoking. You know, like Jesus said.

What are the details about this little nugget? I'm not a real avid Maxhellion, so I don't know a lot about their backgrouind. I keep up more now than I used to, but I've never heard about this intriguing sounding tidbit.

This doesn't mention a lump-sum payment but I think it's definitely hinted that he was bought out somehow.

web.archive.org/web/19990921085137/http://www.titus2.com/Corners/frame1.htm

In which Mr. Morality yammers on about the temptations of having a business lunch with wimmins.

web.archive.org/web/19990921085137/http://www.titus2.com/Corners/frame1.htm

Let's see... the L-rd called Stevovah home to work in 1997, was it? So he was probably pulling down at least $100,000 as a degreed, experienced engineer at that time. Over and above any lump-sum settlement he got from the employer he held hostage for a year to his petulance about going to lunch with a woman who was his business associate, and figuring that he worked since exiting the military, he's probably bringing in a good $4,000/month in Social Security retirement benefits alone. Srsly

Having worked in an engineering environment very similar to what was probably Stevovah's workplace since 1997 the degreed engineers would easily make $100K and over after 5+ years experience. Plus he did this over a number of years so he would rack up decent SS benefits based on that salary.

Also, while I was at the "Big Company" there were people who decided they didn't want to work anymore for whatever reason who would take advantage of (or create) some situation in the workplace (bad fit, bad boss, insubordination, incompetence, objection to doing a task) so they could walk out with a severance package. The company would counsel / accommodate the person or do whatever was necessary legally to avoid a lawsuit before working out some severance deal and letting them go. These deals always took some time as the company couldn't just fire the person, they had to make sure it was all legal and within company policy. "Holding hostage" is an apt term though, these folks knew what they were doing. I have always suspected Steveovah's being "called home" had a lot to do with him rather than the Sky Pilot.

Then you have any military pensions, which he may or may not have. I notice they've never written about shopping in the PX (post exchange) at Fort Leavenworth, which can save a LOT of money on grocery bills, especially for a family of 8 adults. This tells me he may not have many military bennies.

Not an expert on military bennies, but I thought that in order to pull any military retirement pension one has to have been in for at least 20 years. Steve was only in for a few years IIRC so no pension but he would be entitled to VA benefits such as healthcare. Wonder if Steveovah ever took advantage of that...sure he would still need Scamaritan for his family but he himself could obtain care at the VA hospital in Leavenworth.

I doubt Steve qualifies for any VA health benefits. He'd have to have had a service connected disability or something. Merely serving a few years doesn't do much beyond the educational benefits and some preference in government hiring.

I doubt Steve qualifies for any VA health benefits. He'd have to have had a service connected disability or something. Merely serving a few years doesn't do much beyond the educational benefits and some preference in government hiring.

My mother served in the Navy in the 1950s, for three years. My dad also served, and retired after more than 20 years. They divorced in the early 80s. My mother is eligible for VA health benefits and uses them. I asked her if it was because of Dad's service or her own, and she said it was due to hers. I double checked with my FIL who is an expert in VA benefit matters (he's retired Navy and has worked with the VA for awhile), and he says that yes, she's correct. So apparently you don't have to put in 20 years or have a service-connected disability to receive VA health benefits. Which means that Steve probably does qualify. :?

Archived