IGNORED

A mildly interesting survey of Maxwell blog closings

shedemei

I find the religious signoffs the Maxwells use in the blog posts interesting in a non-snarky way. I'd never seen this particular aspect of weird fundie-speak before LJ introduced me to the blog. Late last night, the LORD laid it upon my heart to gather a list of them. It was His will, totally not me procrastinating and avoiding a work project.

In order of popularity:

• Love
  • Joyfully His
  • Trusting In Jesus
  • In Christ
  • Only for Jesus
  • Serving Jesus
  • Rejoicing in Jesus
  • Blessings
  • In Christ Jesus
  • Delighting in Jesus
  • Resting in Jesus
  • Serving the King of kings
  • Thanks for praying
  • Blessings in Jesus
  • God bless
  • In Jesus
  • May you have a blessed afternoon rejoicing in Jesus
  • Merry Christmas from a white Kansas
  • Only for my Savior
  • Praying for those still affected
  • Rejoicing in His gift of another day
  • Rejoicing in my Savior
  • Rejoicing in our Savior
  • Rejoicing in the One Who is Worthy
  • Serving my Lord
  • Serving My Risen Savior
  • Thank you
  • With a Grateful Heart
  • With Love
  • With love for all the rest

"Resting in Jesus" kinda creeps me out, to be honest.

This list contains posts from every month back to the beginning in 2006, but not all posts. My script pulls data from Google's cache instead of hitting the Titus2 blog, and after several rounds of testing my IP was flagged for suspicious activity. So, I have to answer a captcha for the next 24 hours whenever I use Google search and I need to wait to test the part that gets the rest of the posts.

Of all the ones that I have seen on the blog this is the one that creeps me out the most.

Me too. It's also only Mary who uses it. Poor kid, it's like she wants a boyfriend, can't have one, so she's substituting Jesus.

I grew up in a strong Catholic environment. We had lots of family friends who were priests and nuns and received frequent letters from them. I am so reminded of them when I read the Maxwell's blog. "In Jesus' name", "Prayerfully yours"...these were as familiar to me at age 8 as "Sincerely". But these friends were adults, and made the choice as adults to live that sort of life. The Maxwell daughters always remind me of nuns who were born nuns and never knew another life. And that's just sad.

The Maxwell daughters always remind me of nuns who were born nuns and never knew another life. And that's just sad.

I have always felt that way about the Maxwell girls. However, the people who r nuns have probably lived in the "world" before they made this dicision but the Maxwell girls have not and will not.

I don't know why but Sarah is the Maxwell female that I feel sorry for the most. I just feel sad for her. I wish, highly unlikely, that a nice man would marry her and take her away from all the crazy.

In this day and age, most women who become nuns make that choice. Admittedly, it wasn't always like that, but in those days the other option (getting married) wasn't particularly outstanding either.

The other thing to remember is that joining a holy order could actually open doors for some ppl-there could be opportunities to be educated, for example.

And for all of the shitty things the Catholic Church did to Galileo and his friends, they also had a fair few real intellectuals and scientists of their own.

Compare this to the Maxwell 'girls' who have been deliberately isolated from the world, and given a sub-par education. They've been trained to be wives and mothers but then even that option has been taken away and they've all been tied to the soul destroying, beige dungeon of Maxhell forever.

I don't know why but Sarah is the Maxwell female that I feel sorry for the most. I just feel sad for her. I wish, highly unlikely, that a nice man would marry her and take her away from all the crazy.

Its because she is the oldest of the Maxwell daughters. She has the least hope of anything other than the hellish monotony they call life.

As Sarah gets older, more and more hope fades, as she becomes more and more distanced from anything people would expect at her age. Mary's 18, she may not be as mature as the average 18 year old, but theres less of a difference between Mary and an average 18 year old than there is between Sarah and an average woman in her thirties. With Mary, its normal that she isn't married and hasn't had kids, and not out of the ordinary to be a virgin. Its fine that she doesn't have much job experience, most 18 year olds haven't had much either. If Mary gets out now, she can catch up (not without a ton of therapy though) and learn to relate to other 18 year olds but Sarah has way more catching up to do as she has been through way more brainwashing and is way further behind her age. Sarah could never catch up to the life experience of any other 30 year old woman, as she is missing out so much. How many other women Sarah's age have never had a relationship, are virgins, never kissed anyone, never lived by themselves, never had a job, have no friends, and she will never be as mature as they are.

Not only does she have less hope of living a normal life, she has no hope of achieving the ideal fundie life either, she has been filled with all of these fundie approved dreams of the future-a courtship, marriage and then homeschooling a whole quiver of kids. She has been taught that God blesses people with a Godly marriage and then as many kids as possible. She has been taught to look forward to and prepare for the day when she will become a wife and mother, and have a large family. This will not happen.

There are plenty of eligible young men and women ready for courtship. There are not many unmarried people Sarah's age. All of the young men are going to go for younger women, and not for Sarah, as the younger women like Anna and Mary are closer to their age range-they might think it is weird to date someone who is way older than them, and also will probably find the younger women more attractive, and also want someone who has more fertile years left as they want to have loads of kids. Most men Sarah's age are married already.

Sarah also has been taught to want a large family, but how likely is that? Even if she does manage to get married, she doesn't have many years left of being able to have babies. She wont get a large family. If she has a courtship now at 32, she will probably be 33 when she marries and 34 when she has her first baby. Having one every two years, which seems to be a pretty common fundie age gap, she will have three by 40 (and it is harder to get pregnant the older you get, so maybe two kids by then). Most other 40 year old fundies already have 8-10 and their fertility is starting to wind down as they reach menopause. If Sarah is lucky, she might reach what regular people would call a large family, of about 4 or 5, but probably wont, and that is considered tiny in fundie families.

Its also really undignified for her to be treated like and thought of as a child. Think of all the other fundies who are her age-she is lumped in with their 11 year old children. She has no peers. Even people younger than her, these really immature and childlike couples who married at 20 and have a ton of kids, are considered adults, so she cant relate to them, and I imagine she also finds it hard to relate to the 12-18 year olds she is usually grouped together with just because she has yet to have a penis in her vagina.

The other Maxwell girls may not have much hope in the outside world, but they at least have a hope in the fundie world.

*Wow, I wrote too much, I feel like Ken.

and she can't break away because of fear her parents filled her with, and her dad is a prominent leader, it would ruin his "ministry".

it would be awesome if she could get into an approved line of work, perhaps nursing. But it won't happen, too much worldly exposure.

I hope she doesn't have a nervous breakdown.

I also think the older Maxwell children might realize more then the younger ones what they're missing out on since they did live in the real world for a time. I remember once Sarah posted some pictures of them when they were little and it was sad seeing them as happy little children and knowing that soon Steve would take everything away from them and they would enter Maxhell.

I really don't get them at all when it comes to marriage. Isn't marriage, according to their interpretation of the Bible, desired by God? Isn't it supposed to be a Christian goal to marry and have many children? I really don't see how Steve justifies keeping his kids unmarried. How is that NOT going against God's will?

I really don't get them at all when it comes to marriage. Isn't marriage, according to their interpretation of the Bible, desired by God? Isn't it supposed to be a Christian goal to marry and have many children? I really don't see how Steve justifies keeping his kids unmarried. How is that NOT going against God's will?

Heh - it's the first time I've quoted myself.

Just jumping back on to clarify that *I* don't think being unmarried is going against God's will, just that clearly Steve does and going against that should be considered a sin, if Steve was actually following his own beliefs.

And with that, I'm going to...um...just....stop talking. :?

An old musician's joke (I swear, it's relevant):

A jazz musician dies and goes to heaven. Once in heaven, he is invited by St. Peter to the monthly heaven jam session with other jazz musicians. The players include Charlie Parker, Lester Young, Frank Sinatra, George Shearing, Trane, Bing, and many more. They start the session with an amazing take on Oleo, and continue with Giant Steps, Donna Lee, Body & Soul, and finish with East St. Louis Toodle-oo. The musican is thrilled - but then he spots a black trumpet player in the corner, playing by himself. "Who's that?" the musician asks St. Peter. "Oh, never mind him," replies St. Peter. "That's just God. He thinks he's Miles Davis."

That's just Stevehovah. He thinks he's God.

An old musician's joke (I swear, it's relevant):

A jazz musician dies and goes to heaven. Once in heaven, he is invited by St. Peter to the monthly heaven jam session with other jazz musicians. The players include Charlie Parker, Lester Young, Frank Sinatra, George Shearing, Trane, Bing, and many more. They start the session with an amazing take on Oleo, and continue with Giant Steps, Donna Lee, Body & Soul, and finish with East St. Louis Toodle-oo. The musican is thrilled - but then he spots a black trumpet player in the corner, playing by himse

lf. "Who's that?" the musician asks St. Peter. "Oh, never mind him," replies St. Peter. "That's just God. He thinks he's Miles Davis."

That's just Stevehovah. He thinks he's God.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh! Oh! I have one:

A man was waiting to be rescued from his flooded neighborhood. A neighbor threw him a rope and offered to pull him to dry land, and the stranded man said "NO! God will save me." A man in a boat came by and offered him a ride. This man said "No! God will save me." A helicopter flew over and dropped a line to pull him up to safety. The man yelled "No. God will save me!" When the man drowned and went to Heaven he asked God "Why didn't you save me?" And God said "I sent you a rope, I sent you a boat and I sent you a helicopter..."

These people just sit around thinking God's going to drop a spouse on their doorstep. They never actually go out and meet people and build relationships. So when they talk about how "God hasn't sent my husband yet..." I'm like :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: I get just a little upset that they blame God for their unmarried status.

As sad as it is if Sarah wanted to marry and isn't allowed, in the greater scheme of things, the more of these well known fundie "Spinsters" die virgins, the better it is for society as it shines a bright light on the insanity that is fundie patriarchy. Note, I don't use the term Spinster about general unmarried women. My sister is 55 and never married--but that has been her choice and she has a seriously great life going on. Sarah's extended stay at home daughterhood is a result of her father's choices, not her own and lives in a culture where she and others expected her to center her life around marrying and having children.

I view her as a living sacrifice to her father's controlling nature.

As sad as it is if Sarah wanted to marry and isn't allowed, in the greater scheme of things, the more of these well known fundie "Spinsters" die virgins, the better it is for society as it shines a bright light on the insanity that is fundie patriarchy. Note, I don't use the term Spinster about general unmarried women. My sister is 55 and never married--but that has been her choice and she has a seriously great life going on. Sarah's extended stay at home daughterhood is a result of her father's choices, not her own and lives in a culture where she and others expected her to center her life around marrying and having children.

I view her as a living sacrifice to her father's controlling nature.

Plus unmarried fundies mean like ten fewer children being brought into that crazy world.

These people just sit around thinking God's going to drop a spouse on their doorstep. They never actually go out and meet people and build relationships. So when they talk about how "God hasn't sent my husband yet..." I'm like :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: I get just a little upset that they blame God for their unmarried status.

Oh yes, I remember hearing this sort of thing from some of my more fundie college classmates. It drove me nuts even back then. I was like "no! you go out and meet people!"

In 1 Cor, Paul says it is good for the unmarried and widows to be single. But if you burn with sexual desire, get married.

Someone like Sarah Maxwell, I imagine that, as a woman, she may have never burned with sexual desire because she hasn't been allowed to have the emotional connection that would spur it. I do think this is different for a male.

But, idk, if the thinking is to keep things as much as alike to that culture Paul lived in, I would guess SAHD is exactly what she would be doing.

Just me personally, I don't think Christians today are necessarily expected to keep that culture alive. I disagree with the Maxwells and feel sorry for Sarah.

Shedemi, that list in your OP is also quite popular with scam artists who email you offering you millions of pounds! I'm always getting that in my spam folder (I have to check it as I've had genuine messages go in there by mistake before). Sometimes if I'm feeling vaguely bored, I'll scambait them.

http://www.419eater.com/

Archived