• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Curious

POLL: Vote for FJ Mascot (sketches included)

My vote for the FJ Mascot is   181 members have voted

1. 1. My vote for the FJ Mascot is

• Beehive
    • Honey Badger
    • Platycorn
    • Shark
    • Snark
    • Unicorn

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

I know the other poll is not quite over, but it only has a few hours left and I don't think enough people are going to chime in to raise another animal up higher than the ones we have here. If you guys prove me wrong, then I can have another sketch done for that animal or animals.

As mentioned before, these are sketches so we can make some modification requests before the final is done. Now would be the time to make those comments, if you have them.

Happy Atheist made this comment on the other poll:

I'm not digging the equal sign on these critters. I'm totally for equality, I just think the rainbow covers it and the equal looks out of place. Also, FJ aren't the kind of people who would brand an animal.

So I'd like people to weigh in on this, as well, in the comments.

As always questions, comments and discussion are welcome.

post-132-14451999184859_thumb.jpg

post-132-14451999185189_thumb.jpg

post-132-1445199918541_thumb.jpg

post-132-14451999185623_thumb.jpg

post-132-14451999185927_thumb.jpg

post-132-14451999186223_thumb.jpg

These are all good! I was torn between the platycorn and the snark sketch. The equal sign actually looks pretty natural on the snark sketch. :)

If we put a horn on the shark would people think it's a narwhale?

How cute are those! Now how am I going to pick??? I'm torn between the bees, the honey badger, the platy-corn, and the unicorn...

What does the cat have in her mouth?

I was against the signs on the mascot at first, but now that I look at the cat, it looks pretty badass, kind of like war paint. I vote for keeping it.

I'm not liking the equal signs on anybody but the cat. That does look like warpaint.

I vote for no equal signs, and thought the cat looked badass, but more like Adam Ant. (/child of the 80s :whistle: )

No equal signs, but the designs are cute otherwise. I vote Honey Badger.

I like the bee hive, but I think the bees should have stingers and maybe a more judgemental/ snarky expression on their faces.

Definitely no to the equal sign. I think if you have an equal sign and a rainbow it implies that Free Jinger is specifically a LGBT services organization, which would be confusing to people who land here through some googlefest. Having just the rainbow implies acceptance on its own.

I like the bee hive, but I think the bees should have stingers and maybe a more judgemental/ snarky expression on their faces.

Definitely no to the equal sign. I think if you have an equal sign and a rainbow it implies that Free Jinger is specifically a LGBT services organization, which would be confusing to people who land here through some googlefest. Having just the rainbow implies acceptance on its own.

ITA with everything above. Love the bees.

Platycorn, hands down. I don't like bees.

I totally agree with the above. Also, maybe the hive could be vagina-like?

Still lovin' the unicorn, but agree with those who don't care for the equal sign.

All for equality, but the equal sign looks like a couple of rainbow colored band aids to me.

The rest of it looks great, though.

What does the cat have in her mouth?

I was against the signs on the mascot at first, but now that I look at the cat, it looks pretty badass, kind of like war paint. I vote for keeping it.

I think that's cheese--bait to attract the snark's prey. (You know how we talk about Cabinetdude and then he shows up? Yeah. Bait.)

I agree that the equal sign should be removed, as the rainbow is enough to show that FJ is for equality.

We could put an FJ brand on them instead :)

Not really digging the equal signs or the rainbows. I get the reason why people want the rainbows, but it just makes the whole thing look really juvenile and like something my five year old would put in her room.

I think that's cheese--bait to attract the snark's prey. (You know how we talk about Cabinetdude and then he shows up? Yeah. Bait.)

Ooh I get it :) And I like it.

I kind of love them all...also, what? No puffins??? I'm offended. :evil: :mrgreen:

If we put a horn on the shark would people think it's a narwhale?

I'd change my vote for the Narwhale! :D

I really don't get the cat/snark thing. Why does it have wings? Why is it holding a sponge? I just :?

It's too cartoony. And I realize that this is just a sample, not the finished product, but I don't see how a cat with rainbow wings is ever going to not look cartoony.

As quoted above, I vote for no equal sign. And I agree that the rainbows are on the juvenile side.

If this is just a fun thing for around the site, and maybe putting on t-shirts or something, then whatever. If it's going to be incorporated into the official logo, then I think we need something more serious/grown-up.

And that's why Curious calls me the fun killer.

It's OK. I agree with you. I'm so bad that I don't really have a need for a mascot. However, if people want one, it won't harm me. They all so seem so something. Cartoony is good enough. They seem very young to me. I guess we'll be called kill joys. :)

I'm still pullin' for a slightly less cartoony version of the unicorn or the platycorn! (If there has to be a mascot, that is.)

post-9473-14451999191629_thumb.jpg

post-9473-14451999191816_thumb.jpg

As I said, I'm not sure where this is going yet. It isn't something that will be incorporated into the logo, though.

Although a beehive could potentially be, I suppose. I haven't really gotten that far. Since pretty much no one seemed interested in input into the logo, I'm still deciding what to do there.

I think it doesn't hurt to have some kind of mascot type thing (and my preference happens to be an animal) that could be used for things that is recognizable as FJ when it's seen. Be that on swag, sister websites, buzzard's purple condom dream or anything else that may come up in the future.

Or it may just be something that amuses me and goes no where :)

As far as cartoony vs realistic, I was asked that and I don't think I responded so these are the sketches we got. As I said, they are sketches and changes can be requested.

The Snark comes from the Lewis Carroll poem, which describes what sounds like a cat/bird hybrid.

Are you still looking for a logo? I'm indifferent to the mascot, and any comments I have are probably redundant. I vaguely remember reading about a logo contest but haven't seen anything about it since.