IGNORED

Summary of Spring Days with the Moodys

Miggy

Is there an actual plot to this book that I'm not seeing? Because it's just going from one average day to the next, with nothing really happening whatsoever...

How many chapters are there, BTW?

20 chapters. No actual plot. At first I thought we were going to build up to the safari park and that it would be a big adventure but it is happening in chapters 8 & 9 and nothing happens. There is a wedding and a premi baby later on, both of which could have been a big deal but they are described in the same way as the bean burritos are described.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe there's an entire chapter about packing. Did the Duggar girls ghostwrite this?

I think it's been said before, but this would be a great creative writing exercise: "Take these elements and, without deviating from the plotlessness, make this shit interesting."

So, basically it is her blog with her and her siblings portrayed as their emotional age, not their physical age?

20 chapters. No actual plot. At first I thought we were going to build up to the safari park and that it would be a big adventure but it is happening in chapters 8 & 9 and nothing happens. There is a wedding and a premi baby later on, both of which could have been a big deal but they are described in the same way as the bean burritos are described.

Wow. 20 chapters of nothing....and there are what? 8 books now? And I'm assuming they are all like this....yikes....

9. Moody Woes at the Hotel

Mitch sleeps well despite having to sleep in his clothes. Moses and Melissa have slept well in the Pack'n'Plays. Maddie wants breakfast but they have to do bible time first. Maddie nearly forgot to pack the CD player for bible time but luckily Mommy reminded her. (???)

They go down for breakfast. Grandpa helps Maddie make a waffle but it sticks to the griddle because Grandpa didn't spray it first. (Oh, the drama.) Far too much detail about exactly what they do and don't eat. (Who really cares whether they have a lot of something or just a little. Get in with it! I guess there is nothing to get on with though.) The children use perfect manners of course. A lady crashes into Mitch and knocks his drink over. She is obviously BAD because she speaks "sourly" and blames Mitch for being behind her. A NICE lady cleans up the mess. (She is an employee and this is her job but it reads like she is just such a nice person for doing this.) Back to the room. Load bags onto trolley. Mitch pushes the trolley. He nearly wipes out a gentleman while trying to get into the elevator. Downstairs, he wipes out a trash can. He gets behind the rest of the family so tries to hurry but drives the trolley of the curb and spills all the bags. He has skinned his knee and has blood on his shirt. (I teach a lot of ten year old boys. Skinning your knee hurts and I have sympathy. Blood on your shirt is either a badge of honour or they don't care.) Mom patches up his knee and Dad takes him inside to change his shirt.

Mitch needs to learn to watch where he's going. Normally, parents would call him out for getting in someone's way or nearly running into people with a heavy object.

Odd what the Maxwells consider unnecessary of discipline.

I haven't read this particular book, but I did read 4 or 5 of the others. They're all written in this same episodic style without a central plot/theme. That's not a major problem in and of itself-- a lot of kids' books follow this same format, especially kids' books from the 1960s or earlier. But the kids in those other books DO more. They build a clubhouse out of old crates. They get lost exploring in the woods at the edge of town. They play baseball in the street and break the neighbor's window. They put on a talent show to raise money to buy a wedding present for their teacher. The kind of stuff the Maxwells would not be allowed to read about, much less do. (Note how I used the present tense in that last sentence even though the youngest Maxwell is SEVENTEEN! Steve still wouldn't let her read a 3rd-4th grade book where the characters play sports, go to school, and have friends.)

He has skinned his knee and has blood on his shirt.

How does blood get from his knee to his shirt? Inquiring minds, and all that...

These are written for kids who are my oldest daughter's age and there is no way she would read this. I feel so sorry for the kids who are only allowed to read such boring books.

These are written for kids who are my oldest daughter's age and there is no way she would read this. I feel so sorry for the kids who are only allowed to read such boring books.

You took the words right out of my mouth. At the moment I don't feel sorry for Sarah or the other Maxwells who are grown up and can make their own decisions, I feel sorry for the poor kids who received this book as a present for Christmas or birthday. How tragic to unwrap a book, start reading, and within a few pages realize what a boring piece of shit you hold in your hands. I shudder to think how many kids are given the Moody books and who then decide that reading is boring.

Is this a Maxhell publishing effort or did they have a real publisher? It enrages me a bit to think how much these Moody books sell when there are so many good children's books out there waiting to educate, entertain, and amuse.

You took the words right out of my mouth. At the moment I don't feel sorry for Sarah or the other Maxwells who are grown up and can make their own decisions, I feel sorry for the poor kids who received this book as a present for Christmas or birthday. How tragic to unwrap a book, start reading, and within a few pages realize what a boring piece of shit you hold in your hands. I shudder to think how many kids are given the Moody books and who then decide that reading is boring.

Is this a Maxhell publishing effort or did they have a real publisher? It enrages me a bit to think how much these Moody books sell when there are so many good children's books out there waiting to educate, entertain, and amuse.

Per Amazon, the books are published by Communication Concepts

a quick google finds this

.we-communicate.com/

We are a small, highly skilled, fast-moving group of individuals who are passionate about our client's success. We help our clients succeed by providing technology and support services.

Our clients include a variety of businesses, churches, and Christian Ministries, across a number of industries. Project scopes range from a few hours to hundred's of hours.

Communication Concepts also operates several DBA's in specialized industries.

Our business was founded upon Biblical principles, and we strive to honor the Lord Jesus Christ through honest and ethical business practices.

We are selective in the clients that we choose to work with and promote.

â—¾IT Support via Nathan Maxwell

â—¾Mentor-based IT Training via ITOnRamp.com

â—¾Photography via ChristopherMaxwell.com

â—¾Contact Information

SO Self Published... are we surprised?

Per Amazon, the books are published by Communication Concepts

a quick google finds this

.we-communicate.com/

We are a small, highly skilled, fast-moving group of individuals who are passionate about our client's success. We help our clients succeed by providing technology and support services.

Our clients include a variety of businesses, churches, and Christian Ministries, across a number of industries. Project scopes range from a few hours to hundred's of hours.

Communication Concepts also operates several DBA's in specialized industries.

Our business was founded upon Biblical principles, and we strive to honor the Lord Jesus Christ through honest and ethical business practices.

We are selective in the clients that we choose to work with and promote.

â—¾IT Support via Nathan Maxwell

â—¾Mentor-based IT Training via ITOnRamp.com

â—¾Photography via ChristopherMaxwell.com

â—¾Contact Information

SO Self Published... are we surprised?

Wow-so that's a copy paste of their business summary? I expected the Maxwells to have better grammar/punctuation than that. Since ya know, they love RULES!

I will never again criticize the stupidest books at the library. Even the ones for my kid. We could be stuck reading this BS.

Sometimes I imagine offering the Maxwell "children" (I use that term loosely) real quality literature that would horrify them: The Witch of Blackbird Pond or even worse, The Giver.

Heck, even Ramona the Pest would horrify them. I can't think of a single children's book in my house that they would approve of, except for Hairy McClary from Donaldson Dairy.

As an aside:the only adult books they might approve of would be an old copy of the KJV (but that's beside an NIV on one side and a copy of the Koran on the other so it probably has cooties) and a couple of atlases.

I wonder about the Misty of Chincoteague books. Could they read them? I mean, they're about kids and ponies. Except Grampa chews tobacco, and the kids got dumped with the grandparents.

I wonder about the Misty of Chincoteague books. Could they read them? I mean, they're about kids and ponies. Except Grampa chews tobacco, and the kids got dumped with the grandparents.

Doubt it. The kids have fun (oh, horror!!), and while I recall Grandma wearing housedresses in the illustrations, I don't recall her being submissive. And the kids "make an idol" of the ponies, I'm sure. Plus, the books have an actual plot and things happen during the story.

I can't think of any books my son has read, that were boring enough to be Maxwell-approved. The only one I can think of that I've read was that lousy Elsie Dinsmore (and I read it last year, when I was old enough to be aware that it was a mess of crazy). Maybe the Mandie books, or the "poor boy makes good" books by - crap, can't think of the name. Probably early 20th century, wrote a whole bunch of poor boy works hard and gets rich type of thing, which I've never read any of, but I've seen references to them. Anyone? There's not enough to Google.

9. Moody Woes at the Hotel

Mitch sleeps well despite having to sleep in his clothes. Moses and Melissa have slept well in the Pack'n'Plays. Maddie wants breakfast but they have to do bible time first. Maddie nearly forgot to pack the CD player for bible time but luckily Mommy reminded her. (???)

They go down for breakfast. Grandpa helps Maddie make a waffle but it sticks to the griddle because Grandpa didn't spray it first. (Oh, the drama.) Far too much detail about exactly what they do and don't eat. (Who really cares whether they have a lot of something or just a little. Get in with it! I guess there is nothing to get on with though.) The children use perfect manners of course. A lady crashes into Mitch and knocks his drink over. She is obviously BAD because she speaks "sourly" and blames Mitch for being behind her. A NICE lady cleans up the mess. (She is an employee and this is her job but it reads like she is just such a nice person for doing this.) Back to the room. Load bags onto trolley. Mitch pushes the trolley. He nearly wipes out a gentleman while trying to get into the elevator. Downstairs, he wipes out a trash can. He gets behind the rest of the family so tries to hurry but drives the trolley of the curb and spills all the bags. He has skinned his knee and has blood on his shirt. (I teach a lot of ten year old boys. Skinning your knee hurts and I have sympathy. Blood on your shirt is either a badge of honour or they don't care.) Mom patches up his knee and Dad takes him inside to change his shirt.

Wait, I thought they were in a hotel?! How did Granpa help make the waffles? Do they have self-serve waffle stations in hotel restaurants?

I have to wonder just how many people they really "saved" - I would think most people would just blow them off or pretend just to get them out of their sight.

At least they tipped 20%... too many of their ilk don't even do that.

Wait, I thought they were in a hotel?! How did Granpa help make the waffles? Do they have self-serve waffle stations in hotel restaurants?

I have to wonder just how many people they really "saved" - I would think most people would just blow them off or pretend just to get them out of their sight.

Yes. Most hotels that offer breakfasts have waffle machines, as well as things like bagels, oatmeal, cereals and fruit. Pretty standard. And agreed about the tipping. One of the very few things I admire about them. Tipping is a rarity amongst the masses these days.

Yes, the self service waffle bar is ubiquitous at hotels that offer free breakfast. Hampton Inn, Fairfield, Homewood Suites, La Quinta, etc. This has been true from New Jersey to California. In Texas, the waffles are usually Texas shaped at these buffets. waffle-e1339618426388.jpg

8. The Trip Begins

Dad comes home. Load van. Drive to hotel. Grandpa and Max go to check in. Grandpa converts the guy at the desk. He starts with the "good person test" where he asks him questions that prove what a bad person he is, then says he is in the same boat but is forgiven and this guy needs to turn to Jesus NOW! (I can hear Steve doing this but somehow I can't hear the person immediately converting.) to the rooms. Mitch has trouble unlocking the door. They order pizza. Loooong discussion about the tip. "Twenty percent. I gave him a tip for his physical needs and a tract for his spiritual. As a Christian, we should bless others, and one way is by tipping. It's actually a testimony to other people how much we tip. I might have given him less, but since I gave him a tract, I tipped a little extra."

Mitch has forgotten his pyjamas. They pray for the pizza guy and desk guys salvation and that it won't rain the next day.

Lolwut? Stevehovah is too cheap to allow any of his books in libraries but he tips 20 percent? I call shenanigans. And if he does tip 20 percent standard, he's bragging about it according to this little passage. Don't make your tipping an idol, Stevehovah! :naughty: Also, Sarah is basically saying they paid the guy to take a tract. Well, that's the only way I'd take one.

:roll:

Doubt it. The kids have fun (oh, horror!!), and while I recall Grandma wearing housedresses in the illustrations, I don't recall her being submissive. And the kids "make an idol" of the ponies, I'm sure. Plus, the books have an actual plot and things happen during the story.

I can't think of any books my son has read, that were boring enough to be Maxwell-approved. The only one I can think of that I've read was that lousy Elsie Dinsmore (and I read it last year, when I was old enough to be aware that it was a mess of crazy). Maybe the Mandie books, or the "poor boy makes good" books by - crap, can't think of the name. Probably early 20th century, wrote a whole bunch of poor boy works hard and gets rich type of thing, which I've never read any of, but I've seen references to them. Anyone? There's not enough to Google.

Horatio Alger.

Who was a pedophile, it appears.

Damn his (because let's face it, Sarah doesn't have an original thought in her head; it's all Stevehovah's ideas that we're Miggy's reading) braggadocio regarding tipping 20 percent pisses me off. Granted, it's shocking any fundy would tip that much, and I certainly didn't expect Stevehovah to tip much, if at all. But to brag about it! Listen, you yahwah-wanna-be, MANY of us tip 20 percent or more, standard. It's NOTHING to brag about.

Ever since I worked as a server in college and learned what it felt like to get skimped on tips that you needed to live on, I determined that if I was ever in a position to tip generously, I would. So guess what, asshole? I made it. I GUARAN-DAMN-TEE you I tip better than you ever dreamed about tipping. And I only bring it up because you think you're so goddamn special bragging that you're such a good Christian for tipping 20 percent. OMG the nerve, the hubris, of these out-of-touch losers!

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Who knew I could get so worked up over a damn Moody book?

Would Beatrix Potter be okay? Or the Just-So stories and Aesop's Fables?

All of those are pretty squeaky clean and have a moral. But are the Maxwells allowed to read about anthropomorphized animals? (Not making a joke, I've actually known fundies who wouldn't let their kids read or watch anything with talking animals.) What about those kids' Christian books published by the Lutheran church in the 50s and 60s?

Archived