IGNORED

Bill Gothard Sexual Misconduct Investigation - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this today as my response to my "prayerful" request that they have a third party immediately investigate BG. Not sure if other that wrote got this same letter? Thought I'd share.

Dear Amy,

Statement Regarding Resignation

The stated corporate purpose of the Institute in Basic Life Principles, Inc. is to introduce individuals to God's basic way of life through the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Institute remains committed to this purpose and to helping individuals live out their salvation, received by grace through faith, and apply Biblical truths in their daily lives.

A few weeks ago, Bill Gothard respectfully submitted his resignation to the Board of the Institute and the Board unanimously and in unanimity asked him to withdraw it until a review by outside legal counsel was complete and recommendations given. At the Board's encouragement, Mr. Gothard agreed to withdraw his resignation. However, based on assertions brought by various individuals and groups, Mr. Gothard was placed on administrative leave where he was to have no contact with the ministry pending such review.

On March 5, 2014, Mr. Gothard again submitted his resignation indicating that he wanted to follow Matthew 5:23-24 and listen to those who have "ought against" him. In considering what was in the best interests of the Institute, the Board of Directors accepted Mr. Gothard's resignation.

On March 14, 2014, the Board of Directors announced the appointment of Dr. Tim Levendusky as the interim president for the Institute. Meanwhile, the Christ honoring review process shall continue and a future statement will be issued once the review is complete and submitted to the Board of Directors.

Board of Directors

Institute in Basic Life Principles, Inc.

March 17, 2014

That's a non-answer. However, it is entirely what I would have expected. There is (and IMO, never will be) no IBLP outside of Gothard. IBLP is not Christian, nor Biblical (in spite of their frequent use of that word). IBLP's god is Gothard. Period.

David Waller doesn't strike me as leader material. He strikes me as a pompous try hard, but at least there probably wouldn't be any sexual misconduct allegations against him from young female staffers.

David Waller doesn't strike me as leader material. He strikes me as a pompous try hard, but at least there probably wouldn't be any sexual misconduct allegations against him from young female staffers.

I have a feeling Waller would make a great puppet for Gothard's behind-the-scenes machinations.

I agree. I don't think that he's good leadership material. Too much of a yes man.

Also, although the girls would probably be safe under his tutelage, I think young male staffers might have something to worry about. ;)

I agree. I don't think that he's good leadership material. Too much of a yes man.

Also, although the girls would probably be safe under his tutelage, I think young male staffers might have something to worry about. ;)

David doesn't like serious crimes, only the most pathetically hilarious ones.

He would be kicked out for doing something stupid like stealing all of the pens from their offices as they are just lying around and obviously open for him to take.

Yes this reply to me was pretty much like not getting a reply. Sounds to me in the letter they'd like him to stay and asked him to and don't really care about allegations.

David really isn't leadership material...but I would really enjoy watching him try. Everything he does is just slightly ridiculous.

You may have a point here. I have a feeling something actually has happened between David and Gothard, or David and some leader. Im from an area that saw a lot of Catholic priests go to jail, and sometimes you can just tell someone is harbouring a deep secret that, try as they might, can't remain hidden. A reason why Priests felt they could mess with little boys is due to the fact that they werent allowed to marry women. Well, in the same thread, these fundies arent allowed to marry until they have parental permission. And Gothard wouldn't marry, but I don't know how that would work anyways. Id say finding an unmarried-ever 70-80 year old may be difficult.

Another idea I did have over this whole debacle is...maybe the parents turned a blind eye because they thought 'my child is receiving special treatment, and perhaps he may wish to marry my daughter'. Bringing us right into Warren Jeffs territory. Jeffs is also known for going after boys. So what makes Bill Gothard any different than the priests who went bad and Warren Jeffs? Bill and his minions had much more access to these kids/young adults via Excel, JTTH, CI and every other form of young people's groups. Both Catholics and LDS/FLDS are against homosexuality, but in their eyes, you can pray away all sin. So, have some fun, pray, and do it again. Prayer allows him to do whatever the heck he wants to do. And most of the people picked to oversee these camps are hand picked by him.

It frightens me on many levels. I thought there was some active talks or actual legislation moving regarding increasing or lifting the statute of limitations regarding sexual abuse by clergy in the US? I know the Catholic church spent millions on lobbyist efforts, did anything happen in any of the states involved in this whole scandal? Call me Canadian.

I got this today as my response to my "prayerful" request that they have a third party immediately investigate BG. Not sure if other that wrote got this same letter? Thought I'd share.

Dear Amy,

The stated corporate purpose of the Institute in Basic Life Principles, Inc. is to introduce individuals to God's basic way of life through the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Institute remains committed to this purpose and to helping individuals live out their salvation, received by grace through faith, and apply Biblical truths in their daily lives.

A few weeks ago, Bill Gothard respectfully submitted his resignation to the Board of the Institute and the Board unanimously and in unanimity asked him to withdraw it until a review by outside legal counsel was complete and recommendations given. At the Board's encouragement, Mr. Gothard agreed to withdraw his resignation. However, based on assertions brought by various individuals and groups, Mr. Gothard was placed on administrative leave where he was to have no contact with the ministry pending such review.

On March 5, 2014, Mr. Gothard again submitted his resignation indicating that he wanted to follow Matthew 5:23-24 and listen to those who have "ought against" him. In considering what was in the best interests of the Institute, the Board of Directors accepted Mr. Gothard's resignation.

On March 14, 2014, the Board of Directors announced the appointment of Dr. Tim Levendusky as the interim president for the Institute. Meanwhile, the Christ honoring review process shall continue and a future statement will be issued once the review is complete and submitted to the Board of Directors.

Board of Directors

March 17, 2014

They just sent you the statement they have posted on their website. http://iblp.org/news/statement-regarding-resignation

A reason why Priests felt they could mess with little boys is due to the fact that they werent allowed to marry women.

I disagree. This may have been used as an excuse, but pedophiles are not stopped by virtue of the fact that they might be married to women. Pedophiles still act on their pedophilia. This, unfortunately, has been demonstrated by the fact that there, unfortunately, are Protestant denominations with married pastors who preyed on children (boys or girls). Way too many such cases.

Back on the thread topic: Gothard would have continued the same behavior even if he had been married. Marriage to one woman who would now be close to his own age was clearly not what he wanted. RG has over 50 stories of young girls/ young women and they have clearly testified to Gothard's "type" and it has nothing to do with a woman who by now would have grown old along with him, had he been married.

I disagree. This may have been used as an excuse, but pedophiles are not stopped by virtue of the fact that they might be married to women. Pedophiles still act on their pedophilia. This, unfortunately, has been demonstrated by the fact that there, unfortunately, are Protestant denominations with married pastors who preyed on children (boys or girls). Way too many such cases.

Back on the thread topic: Gothard would have continued the same behavior even if he had been married. Marriage to one woman who would now be close to his own age was clearly not what he wanted. RG has over 50 stories of young girls/ young women and they have clearly testified to Gothard's "type" and it has nothing to do with a woman who by now would have grown old along with him, had he been married.

Marriage wouldn't have stopped Gothard being a pervert, cause he likes them young and replaceable. People would look down on him if he married an 18 year old, divorced her when she turned 25 and married another 18 year old. With not marrying them and not being public about liking them, this means he can take in as many hot secretaries as he likes and replace them when theyre too old. Also he likes them when theyre underage or just about of age, its not like he can marry a 14 year old without making everyone be creeped out and him being sent to jail.

I feel the need to edit and comment on the Statement Regarding Resignation. This is what they really meant to say:

Dear Amy,

Dear Clueless Sheep,

The stated corporate purpose of the Institute in Basic Life Principles, Inc. is to introduce individuals to God's basic way of life through the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Institute remains committed to this purpose and to helping individuals live out their salvation, received by grace through faith, and apply Biblical truths in their daily lives. [boilerplate]

A few weeks ago, Bill Gothard saw the writing on the wall and panicked slightly. Herespectfully reluctantly submitted his resignation to the Board of the Institute and the Board unanimously and in unanimity [holy redundancy!] asked him to withdraw it until a review by outside legal counsel was complete and recommendations given. refused to accept it while sticking their fingers in their ears and chanting la-la-la-la. Then the the Board agreed to hire Gibbs to do a fake investigation and clear Gothard's name.

At the Board's encouragement, Mr. Gothard agreed to withdraw his resignation because he realized that we had his back. However, based on assertions brought by various individuals and groups, which are more credible than we want to admit Mr. Gothard was placed on administrative leave where he was to have no contact with the ministry pending such review and we really expect you to believe this lie. History will not repeat itself. Promise!

On March 5, 2014, Mr. Gothard again submitted his resignation indicating that he wanted to follow Matthew 5:23-24 and listen to those who have "ought against" him because he realized that the evidence against him was too strong to ignore. In considering what was in the best interests of the Institute, the Board of Directors temporarily accepted Mr. Gothard's resignation.

On March 14, 2014, the Board of Directors announced the appointment of Dr. Tim Levendusky as the interim president for the Institute. Meanwhile, the Christ honoring review process shall continue and a future statement will be issued once the review is complete and submitted to the Board of Directors. We will then announce that Mr Gothard is innocent of all charges and the claims made against him are fraudulent. Mr Gothard will then resume the presidency.

Board of Directors

March 17, 2014

What the hell is a christ honoring review process?

Fundie mumbo jumbo for cover up, ignore, pretend, sweep, let's get this shit over with so we can make more money.

I'm not sure what disgusts me more; the actual acts or the fundie mumbo-jumbo meant to completely mask and manipulate.

Oh, shoot! I meant to address that Christ honoring bit in my edit. Thanks for the reminder!

That last paragraph should read:

On March 14, 2014, the Board of Directors announced the appointment of Dr. Tim Levendusky as the interim president for the Institute. Meanwhile, the Christ honoring inspired by Satan as we are his minions review process shall continue and a future statement will be issued once the review is complete and submitted to the Board of Directors. We will then announce that Mr Gothard is innocent of all charges and the claims made against him are fraudulent. Mr Gothard will then resume the presidency.

"Christ honoring review process"=misapply Matt 18 or whatever chapter it is, sweep the whole affair under the carpet, and silence any victims by telling them the matter has been dealt with and any further complaints are just bitterness and an unwillingness to forgive and move on.

Both Catholics and LDS/FLDS are against homosexuality, but in their eyes, you can pray away all sin.

Don't lump the Catholics in with the Mormons, and please don't talk like you are stating Catholic facts. More American Catholics are in favor of same sex marriage than Americans in general. The majority of Catholics aren't "against homosexuality." http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-an ... aseID=1961

A reason why Priests felt they could mess with little boys is due to the fact that they werent allowed to marry women.

Marital status has nothing to do with pedophilia.

The blind followers of such creepy leaders so worship them that they would follow them under any circumstances.

Gothard is the god they worship.

The blind followers of such creepy leaders so worship them that they would follow them under any circumstances.

Gothard is the god they worship.

That is so true and messed up.

You may have a point here. I have a feeling something actually has happened between David and Gothard, or David and some leader. Im from an area that saw a lot of Catholic priests go to jail, and sometimes you can just tell someone is harbouring a deep secret that, try as they might, can't remain hidden.

>>Really? Is this a proven scientific fact? What are the parameters one is judged by, to determine that they are "harbouring (sic) a deep secret"?

A reason why Priests felt they could mess with little boys is due to the fact that they weren't allowed to marry women. Well, in the same thread, these fundies arent allowed to marry until they have parental permission.

>>Really? Did you interview them and they told you "a reason" why they felt that they could abuse kids?

Also, as reprehensible as the acts of sexual misconduct/harassment/rape performed by a person of religious authority can be, there is no discernible difference between the frequency/incidence of Catholic clergymen's' misconduct and other religious denomination's leaders. Do you have access to any studies, medical journals, psychiatrists, or religious groups?

------------http://blogs.denverpost.com/hark/2010/05/25/scandal-creates-contempt-for-catholic-clergy/39/

And Gothard wouldn't marry, but I don't know how that would work anyways. Id say finding an unmarried-ever 70-80 year old may be difficult.

Another idea I did have over this whole debacle is...maybe the parents turned a blind eye because they thought 'my child is receiving special treatment, and perhaps he may wish to marry my daughter'. ...Catholics ... are against homosexuality, but in their eyes, you can pray away all sin. So, have some fun, pray, and do it again. Prayer allows him to do whatever the heck he wants to do.

>>Please get your facts straight if you're going to make blanket statements about any religion.

And most of the people picked to oversee these camps are hand picked by him.

It frightens me on many levels. I thought there was some active talks or actual legislation moving regarding increasing or lifting the statute of limitations regarding sexual abuse by clergy in the US? I know the Catholic church spent millions on lobbyist efforts, did anything happen in any of the states involved in this whole scandal? Call me Canadian.

>>A number of states are proposing and enacting laws that will either extend or eliminate the Statute of Limitations.

http://verdict.justia.com/2014/01/09/2013-year-review-child-sex-abuse-victims-access-justice-victims-access-justice

I just want to make sure that we're dealing with the facts, as much as is possible.

The most important thing is that the victims feel safe enough to open up about any abuse that happened, and people continuing to support them in any way they need. I wish them all courage and faith.

I would surmise a lot of dudes in these God appointed positions can be megalomaniacs and feel that anything goes where it comes to them. Course that's no excuse but my experience of megachurches and movements is that there is a lot of ego and a lot of phony baloney and showmanship on stage and not much Jesus when the spotlight goes off.

Here is an ATI alumni group

facebook.com/groups/2215001843/

They tell some interesting stories (one woman said, "I have no doubt that had I stayed I would be in the same situation that those women were in") and have some insightful pictures up. Pics that show how HUGE ATI really was back in the day.

I am total shock about my next door neighbors are affiliated with ATI and Gothard. I had no idea.They are uber conservative and they go to a Methodist church. They have TV and internet. They even let their youngest son go out with the other kids on Halloween. They even joins us for our cul de sac barbeques where us heathens drink alcohol. They did home school their two boys. Their older son works for our public school system in Information Technology. I am totally blown away by this.

>>A number of states are proposing and enacting laws that will either extend or eliminate the Statute of Limitations.

http://verdict.justia.com/2014/01/09/2013-year-review-child-sex-abuse-victims-access-justice-victims-access-justice

I just want to make sure that we're dealing with the facts, as much as is possible.

The most important thing is that the victims feel safe enough to open up about any abuse that happened, and people continuing to support them in any way they need. I wish them all courage and faith.

Research Mt Cashel Orphanage for information on why I I may have some information on certain things. In my area, the incidence of Catholic misconduct is head and shoulders above that of any other organized religion in the area. At least those who have been reported. And keep getting reported.

As for those who harbour secrets, in some cases yes. You can tell. In other cases, no. I know 20 people who have drug and alcohol issues who, after years of keeping it bottled in, finally opened up. Now, with PTSD in the news, people recognize symptoms because they know what the symptoms are. But back then, someone drinking to excess and shooting heroin and never sleeping and getting agitated over the family forcing a grown man to go to church wasnt a symptom of anything.

I don't have concrete numbers by all religions, however I do have the entire database of US priests who have been publicly accused.

bishop-accountability.org/priestdb/PriestDBbylastName-L.html

I wasnt meaning Catholics as individuals, Im saying the Catholic church is against homosexuality. Perhaps clarification was needed. My error. For this I'll link directly to the Vatican.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a6.htm

As for priests reasons, there are many, but I highlighted only one. Sit in on some of the trials and you'll hear it or see it when priests are asked point blank. But this guy makes a point in his second last para...its an opinion piece, but he bases it on his own personal experience covering it. I'll try to find three specific court transcripts for more. But i know some other reasons include prior abuse, and a need for power.

articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/10/opinion/la-oe-dantonio-catholic-priest-molestations-20130210

I knew efforts were being made in the US, but thanks for the link. The latest settlement last year of the Christian Brothers lawsuits reached both Canada and the US.

Archived