16strong

We know that when Jon and Kate Gosselin divorced, TLC was more than happy to milk them for ratings (despite/because?) of the negative press by switching from Jon and Kate +8 to just Kate + 8. It wasn't until the legal wars broke out between the two that the show ceased altogether. Also, It's no secret the toll that reality TV often takes on those that participate, often leading to the demise of marriages/families.

My question is, would TLC ever bring down the Duggars for ratings purposes? Lots of people would be willing to watch a show about some of the kids rebelling and striking out on their own and why they did it. If 19KaC continues to receive increasingly poor ratings, do you think TLC would just cut them loose and send them on their way with a friendly wave, or throw them under the bus for a new show with (potentially) great ratings? Argue away! :D

I think TLC would sink anybody if they would make money on it. They exploit the shit out of their workers.

I don't see why not. There's nothing special about the Duggars. Once they outlive their usefulness, TLC will cut them loose. If the family disintergrates for whatever reason, TLC will be the big winner. Jon and Kate were also initially marketed as pro-life Christians, albeit of the mainstream variety. It would be interesting to know what role religion plays in their lives now (if any).

A part of me thinks that TLC will eventually throw the Duggars under the bus. But on the other hand, executive producer Sean Overbeeke seems to have a boner for the Duggars.

I think they're already doing it in small and subtle ways. Examples would be showing Michelle's blown glass creation, repeatedly showing Anna's concern about the "vibrator" being put on the moving truck, and broadcasting close-ups of Josie's "accident." I'm sure that they have hours and hours of Duggar life on film, yet, these are the scenes they chose to put out for public consumption.

I wonder how they will announce the end of the show. Little People Big world was allowed to come up with an excuse for the end of their show. Kate was not allowed to do that.

I got the feeling that a lot of scenes of the last season were staged. I don't know american reality shows too much but where I come from most of them start to be 'real' and once the ratings drop they make stories up to get more interesting.

edited because english is not my first language...

A part of me thinks that TLC will eventually throw the Duggars under the bus. But on the other hand, executive producer Sean Overbeeke seems to have a boner for the Duggars.

Two words that should never be in the same sentence.

I don't know what their bottom line is in terms of ratings. What is unacceptably low to them? It seems like the ratings for 19K have been lower than in the past, which may reflect the sheer boredom of watching them. It was kind of cute when the kids were young but now they have undereducated adult children living in the house and it is, to my mind, strange. I also wonder what happens to their "celebrity" once their show is over. Will TLC replace them with a show about another large family. So many questions....

I wonder how they will announce the end of the show. Little People Big world was allowed to come up with an excuse for the end of their show. Kate was not allowed to do that.

I've always imagined some announcement about needing more family time away from the cameras followed by effusive thank you's to the Lord, their loyal fans, and TLC. And maybe a teaser about letting us know how they're doing once in awhile.

I agree with Dandruff, they will announce the ending of the show like that when does happen. Boob will probably ask for update doc shows like Matt Roloff did with LPBW.

I also think TLC has been bored with the Duggars for awhile. The show isn't heavily promoted like some of other TLC shows are. The Long Island Medium and Honey Boo Boo have appeared on popular late night shows and very popular daytime shows like Ellen. Of course, the Duggars would never appear on ebil lesbian Ellen's show, but other popular talk shows probably don't care for them. The Today Show and GMA basically use the Duggars for fluff pieces.

19 kids and Counting is probably relatively cheap to film, since a lump sum is given to the family and to Josh and Anna when they appear. Like many people, I suspect that JD, Joseph, and the J'slaves have been "convinced" to sign over their TLC checks to JB. The Duggars aren't likely to ask for raises, since their primary purpose is to "minister" to others through the show, not pursue wealth or fame in the conventional sense of the word.

I doubt the older non-married Duggars have ever asked for checks nor has TLC offered them.

TLC should hook up the Duggars with the Breaking Amish cast for a cross over.

I also doubt that the kids see any of the money that they make from this. Boob is hoarding it for his hairspray obsession.

I don't see TLC throwing the Duggars under the bus. It would be a PR nightmare for them. Despite what people here think, the Duggars are a pretty likeable group. People may think they are nuts for having so many kids, but most people (at least the ones I encounter) feel they are harmless. Jon and Kate, on the other hand, were a different story. Kate came across as mean and unlikeable from the beginning. It was fun to see their demise because, well, Kate was so mean.

When it comes time for the Duggars to fade off into the sunset, I think TLC will handle it respectfully and keep ties so they can do update shows in the years to follow.

TLC should hook up the Duggars with the Breaking Amish cast for a cross over.

I also doubt that the kids see any of the money that they make from this. Boob is hoarding it for his hairspray obsession.

But doesn't he just use Aquanet? Isn't that stuff pretty cheap? :D

TLC should create a new show called breaking fundie.

I have been wanting this for a while. With Josiah once he hits 18. Less than a year buddy.

I doubt the older non-married Duggars have ever asked for checks nor has TLC offered them.

I don't think the TLC legal team would allow that. Anyone 18 and older mostly likely has his or her own contract and is paid accordingly. TLC would not like to see a situation where one of the Duggars later comes back and claims they are owed back pay with interest. Even if they signed away their rights and agreed not be compensated (or, more likely, that Jim Bob can be compensated for them) this would still present a risk to TLC down the road should one or more of them leave the cult and come knocking.

I doubt the daughters are seeing a penny, but that would be because of an "agreement" between them and their parents, not TLC.

I don't think the TLC legal team would allow that. Anyone 18 and older mostly likely has his or her own contract and is paid accordingly. TLC would not like to see a situation where one of the Duggars later comes back and claims they are owed back pay with interest. Even if they signed away their rights and agreed not be compensated (or, more likely, that Jim Bob can be compensated for them) this would still present a risk to TLC down the road should one or more of them leave the cult and come knocking.

I doubt the daughters are seeing a penny, but that would be because of an "agreement" between them and their parents, not TLC.

Hmmm...I think that any money made by the girls is put by Jim Bob into a "marriage fund," for them to have only when they get married to an approved fundie guy. I think the boys, on the other hand, probably receive their money outright, or they at least have access to it if they "need" something for a business endeavor.

I'm pretty sure TLC money goes to a corporation with JB as it's CEO. I don't think anybody has a separate contract, including Josh and Anna.

Archived