IGNORED

I look down at young women with husband and children

NotALoserLikeYou

And she's not sorry.

Thoughtcatalog.com/amy-glass/2014/01/i-look-down-on-young-women-with-husbands-and-kids-and-im-not-sorry/

Do people really think that a stay at home mom is really on equal footing with a woman who works and takes care of herself? There’s no way those two things are the same. It’s hard for me to believe it’s not just verbally placating these people so they don’t get in trouble with the mommy bloggers.

Having kids and getting married are considered life milestones. We have baby showers and wedding parties as if it’s a huge accomplishment and cause for celebration to be able to get knocked up or find someone to walk down the aisle with. These aren’t accomplishments, they are actually super easy tasks, literally anyone can do them. They are the most common thing, ever, in the history of the world. They are, by definition, average. And here’s the thing, why on earth are we settling for average?

If women can do anything, why are we still content with applauding them for doing nothing?

I want to have a shower for a woman when she backpacks on her own through Asia, gets a promotion, or lands a dream job not when she stays inside the box and does the house and kids thing which is the path of least resistance. The dominate cultural voice will tell you these are things you can do with a husband and kids, but as I’ve written before, that’s a lie. It’s just not reality.

You will never have the time, energy, freedom or mobility to be exceptional if you have a husband and kids.

I hear women talk about how “hard†it is to raise kids and manage a household all the time. I never hear men talk about this. It’s because women secretly like to talk about how hard managing a household is so they don’t have to explain their lack of real accomplishments.

And she's not sorry.

Thoughtcatalog.com/amy-glass/2014/01/i-look-down-on-young-women-with-husbands-and-kids-and-im-not-sorry/

If the author isn't hearing from men about how hard managing a household is then it's because s\he isn't listening. The blogosphere is rich with stay at home dads who talk about those same challenges. My husband is the stay at home dad to five kids and he waxes eloquent on this subject all the time. The reason is - it is hard to take care of a family. There is a lot of work involved. It can be messy, noisy and expensive. Sometimes it's scary or confusing. Or heartbreaking. That doesn't change if a man or a woman is home with the kids.

The idea that we have showers for weddings and babies as awards - that never crossed my mind. I always thought we did it because we were happy for people and wanted to gift them things that they would need.

This turned up on my fb feed. Among some of "her" other blog posts is one who inequality in the workforce doesn't really exist, it's an "ambition problem"....I wonder if she's real.

I'm willing to bet this is a poe/troll. There's no history of this person except for a few posts on Thought Catalog.

The language is deliberately designed to be inflammatory.

It buys into stereotypes of what anti-feminists claim that feminists say.

If someone was really so accomplished that having and raising kids would be trivial in comparison, they'd have a presence. You'd google them, and say, "wow, that's a great writer/brain surgeon/CEO/humanitarian/Oprah". The only people coming up when I google her name are clearly not her. They would also mention what they do which is so much more important than whatever parents do.

So, I'm pretty sure the post was designed to:

1. Give someone their jollies.

2. Drive traffic to a site nobody had previously visited.

3. Demonize feminists.

4. Give conservative media outlets an excuse to foam at the mouth.

Thing is, having kids and marriage ARE milestones. Ok, a lot of people do it, but that doesn't take away it's specialness to the individual nor the urge to celebrate it with loved ones. I do smell a rat with the post though. It just seems designed to drive traffic and piss off people.

Being a SAHM is differe t from having a career only in that they involve different responsibilities.

Real feminism isn't about looking down on a woman for her choices, and if she chooses to be a STAHM, that's her choice, and not necessarily a bad one.

Archived