IGNORED

Those poor, misunderstood Pearls..../CNN Clip [Merge]

Koala

From Shoshanna:

Shoshanna (Pearl) Easling

Yesterday at 05:52 ·

I have a lot of people asking me if I am normal. LOL! I just laugh at them and say, "You are right, I am not normal. Good thing! Normal is over rated and I would rather be extraordinary anyway!"

I am happy to say, I have the best parents in the world! They are some of my husband and my best friends! They have a wonderful marriage. They have five kids, lots of grandchildren that love, adore, and respect them! That is definitely not normal!

In my short time on earth I have learned that you can not believe everything you hear and see on the news. In fact, I take it as seriously as the towns gossip. Very little of anything she says is true and even the true stuff is twisted into a story of its own. If I ever find it to interest me I have to fact check it straight for the source not from another gossip.

Please Pray! God hears his children. Be strong. Stand for truth. Smile. Enjoy life. Shine bright. Don't stop because of accusers charge on stronger than ever. Show the world you are not normal, BE EXTRAORDINARY!

* This is a public figure page, not her personal Facebook

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Pearl kids only seem happy because they've been beaten into believing that the only emotion they are allowed to have is happiness. But not too much happiness, that might lead to foolishness and require another beating.

Remember one of them making loads of posts online about her scary dreams which were mainly about something threatening trying to harm her or take her rights away, thinking they were predicting the end of the world but are actually more likely due to being abused as a child? Or that none of them are the remarkably successful adults he predicted-one of them lives in complete poverty and the others don't have that good jobs. Or how one of them said she can only remember being spanked twice, but it obviously happened way more often due to her parents anecdotes, so she probably blocked out the memories due to the trauma of it, or was completely broken into a robot by the time she was old enough to form memories. And how for every post by them saying that it made them turn out well, there are hundreds of others on Homeschoolers Anonymous or any of the other more personal survivor blogs of adults who now have PTSD from being raised the Pearl way, or had to relearn everything as an adult because being beaten all the time made them unable to make decisions for themselves, or gave them anxiety over doing something wrong...

From Shoshanna:

Shoshanna (Pearl) Easling

Yesterday at 05:52 · I have a lot of people asking me if I am normal. LOL! I just laugh at them and say, "You are right, I am not normal. Good thing! Normal is over rated and I would rather be extraordinary anyway!"

I am happy to say, I have the best parents in the world! They are some of my husband and my best friends! They have a wonderful marriage. They have five kids, lots of grandchildren that love, adore, and respect them! That is definitely not normal!

In my short time on earth I have learned that you can not believe everything you hear and see on the news. In fact, I take it as seriously as the towns gossip. Very little of anything she says is true and even the true stuff is twisted into a story of its own. If I ever find it to interest me I have to fact check it straight for the source not from another gossip.

Please Pray! God hears his children. Be strong. Stand for truth. Smile. Enjoy life. Shine bright. Don't stop because of accusers charge on stronger than ever. Show the world you are not normal, BE EXTRAORDINARY!

Lots of meaningless cheery stuff that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

There, I fixed that for her.

I saw an interview with some of the family. It was right after there were news reports about one of the children who died, and one of the sons "interviewed" Michael about it to prove that he had nothing to do with it. Scary stuff. The women mostly smiled and nodded, but one or two times Shoshanna (I think?) told an "anecdote" about her childhood, of course it involved abuse, and they were all smiling and laughing about it, I think the son did it at one point too. But the whole time there was this slight tension in their eyes and body language, the son looked afraid every time he looked at Michael and one daughter kept clasping her hands. I felt so sorry for them, even though they are probably all already abusing their children.

I saw an interview with some of the family. It was right after there were news reports about one of the children who died, and one of the sons "interviewed" Michael about it to prove that he had nothing to do with it. Scary stuff. The women mostly smiled and nodded, but one or two times Shoshanna (I think?) told an "anecdote" about her childhood, of course it involved abuse, and they were all smiling and laughing about it, I think the son did it at one point too. But the whole time there was this slight tension in their eyes and body language, the son looked afraid every time he looked at Michael and one daughter kept clasping her hands. I felt so sorry for them, even though they are probably all already abusing their children.

Was it this this one?

0RAEa2ORFbg

So much lying for Jesus, and delusion, and denial. And, although I try not to be judgmental about grammar with most people, errors really jump out to me, due to Pearl's insistence on homeschooling only, and how it made his children so superior.

Oh, and a coupon code (it was originally a live webinar), in case "there's something we reference that you don't have." :roll:

These so-called biblical literalists are fucking idiots.

In the context of the oft-quoted verse about the rod of correction, they are using a shepherd's rod as an example. Literally - a shepherd's rod. The rod is NEVER used to hit the sheep. It's used to herd/guide them to go the way that the shepherd needs them to go. They just hold the rod to the side of the sheep and the sheep walk in the opposite direction. It's actually quite a lovely example of what they're trying to illustrate, that you should guide children in the right direction with a gentle hand so they don't stray and come to harm.

Ironically, this is one of the few passages that is extremely literal and yet they choose to 'interpret' it to justify their desire to beat children into submission instead of, you know, taking the passage literally.

These so-called biblical literalists are fucking idiots.

In the context of the oft-quoted verse about the rod of correction, they are using a shepherd's rod as an example. Literally - a shepherd's rod. The rod is NEVER used to hit the sheep. It's used to herd/guide them to go the way that the shepherd needs them to go. They just hold the rod to the side of the sheep and the sheep walk in the opposite direction. It's actually quite a lovely example of what they're trying to illustrate, that you should guide children in the right direction with a gentle hand so they don't stray and come to harm.

Ironically, this is one of the few passages that is extremely literal and yet they choose to 'interpret' it to justify their desire to beat children into submission instead of, you know, taking the passage literally.

I suspect they are going from Proverbs 23"13-14 which read

13Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

14Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Instead of Proverbs 13: 24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

I don't see fundies mentioning proverbs 23 13-24 all that often, even though it's certainly the best 'evidence' that their sadistic child rearing methods are god-approved. I'm sure he's mentioned it in TTUaC but I don't remember it specifically.

Pearl likes to quote Luke 17:2 and say that it refers to parents who don't beat their kids (ie. parents who don't beat are the ones harming their children). I always thought it was pretty straightforward - you cause children suffering, you're a terrible person - but Pearl will twist everything in the bible to suit his needs. They all do it.

Do you have a link??? :wink-kitty:

I suspect they are going from Proverbs 23"13-14 which read

13Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

14Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Instead of Proverbs 13: 24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Here are the verses in TTUAC, with some words from Pearl (I have the old edition, which is available for free online):

The wise God who said: "Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not... (Mark 10:14)," also said:

* "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying." (Prov. 19:18)

* "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." (Prov. 13:24)

* "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him." (Prov. 22:15)

* "Withhold not correction from the child, for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die, Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Prov. 23: 13-14)."

* "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame." (Prov. 29: 15)

* "Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shah give delight unto thy soul." (Prov. 29:17)

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (Prov. 13:24)."

COMFORTING ROD

Do you comfort your children with a rod? If you have not seen the rod as a comfort to your child, you have missed its purpose. "Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me (Psalm 23:4). I will chasten him with the rod...(2 Sam. 7:14). Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquities with stripes (Psalm 89:32)."

David, who experienced the rod of God's correction and was chastened for transgression, found comfort in the Divine discipline. He was comforted by the rod. It assured him of God's control, concern, love, and commitment. Children need to know that someone is in control.

"Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying (Prov. 19:18)." Proper use of the rod gives new hope to a rebellious child. The exhortation is to not let their crying cause you to lighten up on the intensity or duration of the spanking. A parent's emotions can stand in the way of a thorough cleansing.

An unchastened child is not only restless and irritable in his own spirit, but causes the whole house to be in turmoil. "Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul (Prov. 29:17)."

Not about the rod, but more verses and Pearl's interpretation:

THE FEAR OF GOD

A child must take seriously the moral law. "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom (Prov. 9:10)." In defining the root of sin, Paul said, "There is no fear of God before their eyes (Rom. 3:18)." The proper use of the rod teaches a wholesome fear. Do not fall victim to the modern rewriting of "fear" as "respect." For Jesus said, "But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear.' Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell,' yea, I say unto you, Fear him (Luke 12:5)." The Scripture makes a distinction between honor, love, and fear: "Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king." (1 Pet. 2:17)

Several verses are repeated over and over in the book.

Question about the train up a child book..... How come the Pearl supporters think that we lie? We being us who don't agree with the book. They keep saying if you have read the book you will see thats not what it says..

Yet there are PAGES that identify everything that we find appalling.. There are pages where it says "keep hitting till the child is a wimpering mess" or something like that.

So why are the pearl lovers denying it? saying we lie even when its written right in front of them?

I got into it with a supporter on twitter and she called me a liar who hasnt read the book.

Its making me soooooo :angry-banghead: :pull-hair:

Question about the train up a child book..... How come the Pearl supporters think that we lie? We being us who don't agree with the book. They keep saying if you have read the book you will see thats not what it says..

Yet there are PAGES that identify everything that we find appalling.. There are pages where it says "keep hitting till the child is a wimpering mess" or something like that.

So why are the pearl lovers denying it? saying we lie even when its written right in front of them?

I got into it with a supporter on twitter and she called me a liar who hasnt read the book.

Wait, she supports the Pearls and hasn't read the book? Then how does she know that she supports them?

No shes saying that I havent read the book. That if I had read it then I would know what it says... Even though i quoted pages to her.

Was it this this one?

0RAEa2ORFbg

So much lying for Jesus, and delusion, and denial. And, although I try not to be judgmental about grammar with most people, errors really jump out to me, due to Pearl's insistence on homeschooling only, and how it made his children so superior.

Oh, and a coupon code (it was originally a live webinar), in case "there's something we reference that you don't have." :roll:

Yes, that's it.

They're not addressing us, they're playing to the silent audience. The majority of people implement these schemes without ever reading the book, and if they hear that the critics haven't read it they don't have any obvious evidence to know that's a lie. It's a winning tactic, becausealthoughthey lose the debate they win followers.

I cant get through an hour of Michael Pearl's creepiness. Someone tell me when the "best" bits are please.

13:40 - 15:15 Shalom tells a charming story about how she tried to climb a staircase as a baby, Debi first hit her on the hand to discourage her, but she tried again, so Michael laid the "spanking stick" in front of the stairs, she recognized it and so she never tried something so dangerous again, her parents "guided her and saved her from hurting herself". I have no idea how she remembers this, but maybe she thinks she remembers because they told her. Or she's a genius.

23:50 - 24:50 Nathan defends his parents, he can't believe people on the internet believe they are "abused and beaten down, sitting under a table somewhere moaning and rocking". Debi smiles creepily, everyone chuckles.

27:50 - 28:20 Michael compares child training to animal training, he said he saw a survey that said that "people who train their animals are several hundred percents more satisfied with them than people who don't train them. So many people are not training their children." That's a creepy thought process I'm not sure I understand or want to.

All three children defend their parents, they are so thankful for their guidance/the beatings etc., but they go out of their way to explain that it all wasn't beating-beating. I get that this weird idea that spanking isn't hitting wasn't invented by the Pearls, but they take it to the extreme.

I couldn't watch the whole video either.. I only watched the portions where someone other than Michael was talking.

I cant get through an hour of Michael Pearl's creepiness. Someone tell me when the "best" bits are please.

I was going to watch the whole thing and recap, but I didn't get far. Too sickening, especially since I've been visiting the Amazon reviews daily to vote for useful and non-useful reviews and comments.

I will try again sometime soon.

As for the "you never read it" crap, I think it is, as August said, not really aimed at us, when it is done on a forum or reviews. It is often just to pull in those who haven't heard of the book or are on the fence.

A few of them might be sincere when they say that, somehow assuming that we couldn't possibly have read it all if we are not seeing the magic. And isn't that a scary thought? :pink-shock:

And there are, at this point, many people who have come to Amazon to post an anti-Pearl review, who admitted that they've only read excerpts or the news stories. So glomming on to the idea that people against the book must not have read it is easy to do, there.

Of course, I think the people who have only seen excerpts see right to the heart of the matter, so I don't think they are wrong. But it does make Pearl's worshippers think they have a leg to whip stand on.

Besides "you didn't read it," the other predictable lines are:

- It doesn't encourage abuse, it prevents it (this is because Pearl labels his early abuse "training," and then tells them he is preventing abuse. So of course it must be true). :angry-banghead:

- If you're not doing it this way, you must be flying into a rage and beating your children.

- Look at the fruit -- my children/Pearl's children turned out so well.

- It's Biblical.

- Children must learn _______ (a list of things every good parent teaches, implying that anyone who doesn't follow Pearl has Lord of the Flies going on at home).

- Everyone in public places asks how I got my children to be so well-behaved (there seem to be fewer of these now; maybe someone tipped them off that praising surface stuff, rather than deeper, long-term goals, leaves detractors room to say it is due to fear or robotic obedience).

- My children are such a joy!!!!!! We laugh all the time!!!!!!! :roll:

What's interesting is that there is rarely anything else in their reviews. Every now and then there is a positive review in which someone openly talks about corporal punishment being good. But, for the most part, positive reviewers don't say much about what's in the book and how they used it to raise such fabulous children.

They're a bit like first graders reviewing a movie: "It was good, and I liked it because it was really nice and it made me feel good. My Mom says she always liked stories like this, too. So, to finish up, I think this was a good movie."

:roll:

http://www.amazon.com/To-Train-Child-Mi ... Descending

My children are such a joy! We laugh all the time! :roll:

Well they do laugh a lot, mostly about the shenanigans they used to come up with, however then they laugh about the punishment that followed :? Creeepy.

What's interesting is that there is rarely anything else in their reviews. Every now and then there is a positive review in which someone openly talks about corporal punishment being good. But, for the most part, positive reviewers don't say much about what's in the book and how they used it to raise such fabulous children.

I've found this to be particularly problematic. You also see some of the Pearl supporters claiming that they "don't agree with everything" the Pearls teach, but never expand on what they do or don't agree with.

They're a bit like first graders reviewing a movie: "It was good, and I liked it because it was really nice and it made me feel good. My Mom says she always liked stories like this, too. So, to finish up, I think this was a good movie."

So...it's like a movie review from Miss Raquel ;)

13:40 - 15:15 Shalom tells a charming story about how she tried to climb a staircase as a baby, Debi first hit her on the hand to discourage her, but she tried again, so Michael laid the "spanking stick" in front of the stairs, she recognized it and so she never tried something so dangerous again, her parents "guided her and saved her from hurting herself". I have no idea how she remembers this, but maybe she thinks she remembers because they told her. Or she's a genius.

23:50 - 24:50 Nathan defends his parents, he can't believe people on the internet believe they are "abused and beaten down, sitting under a table somewhere moaning and rocking". Debi smiles creepily, everyone chuckles.

27:50 - 28:20 Michael compares child training to animal training, he said he saw a survey that said that "people who train their animals are several hundred percents more satisfied with them than people who don't train them. So many people are not training their children." That's a creepy thought process I'm not sure I understand or want to.

All three children defend their parents, they are so thankful for their guidance/the beatings etc., but they go out of their way to explain that it all wasn't beating-beating. I get that this weird idea that spanking isn't hitting wasn't invented by the Pearls, but they take it to the extreme.

I couldn't watch the whole video either.. I only watched the portions where someone other than Michael was talking.

So this is the first time I've ever actually seen or heard the Pearls speak, and this might come off as catty but I hope it doesn't: where are they from? Shalom has the strangest accent I've ever heard, and I say that as someone with a really thick Southern (US) accent. I can't place it. Also, she is totally making that shit up about remembering the stairs incident that happened when she was 7. I'm sure that actually happened, but it had to be because her parents told her about it as some weird proud moment. Sickening.

Archived