IGNORED

A former fundie SAHD on What Not to Wear?

AuntCloud

I'm watching season 9 on Netflix, and had to take a break from watching to post here. Jill is 28, looks and acts simultaneously much older and much younger, and has a sense of fashion that is, to put it gently, out of touch with what people actually wear. She was homeschooled, tends to digress and free-associate into various fantasy ramblings, is eloquent but very under-employed.

I couldn't decide if she's a former fundie or a current fundie-lite. She is very church-y but has friends who wear sleeveless shirts, the horrors. She mentions shopping at Goodwill and not being able to pick her clothes until she was 18. She wears a skirt suit that is the frump to end all frumps and when Clinton says "this says "celibate and proud of it"", she replies "but I am proud of it, but would like to get married at some point".

She is so socially awkward, it hurts. She dreams of having intellectual conversations with potential partners, but is terrified when C&S mention that flirting is, you know, the stage preceding deep intellectual conversations. She seems like a lovely person but living in this fantasy world does nothing for her. Now I'll tune in to see the make over.

My apologies. Productivity is overrated anyway.

Now off you go to watch the episode and report back.

Discuss!

Was it the "we always shopped at Goodwill" or "I wasn't allowed to pick out my own clothes" or "my mom cut my hair"? Or her general horror when Clinton+Stacy implied that she can, you know, talk to people just to chit-chat and get to know them before delving into deep personal conversations?

Well, the Chicago thing made me wonder if she was IBLP affiliated, but she went to college, has read LOTR, and she had short hair growing up, so that's probably just a coincidence.

All those things you just mentioned stood out, plus the homeschooling and the fascination with medieval and colonial style clothing (VF anyone?).

She didn't say "modesty," but she did kind of freak out at the idea of shorts being an inch or two above the knee. The idea of long skirts automatically being "elegant" was odd and sounds like something you would hear in a fundie-type church about dressing femininely. She was also very proud to be celibate. She also implied she was anti-dating since she didn't want men to chat with her just to chat with her. They had to be serious, as you mentioned. Is she dating-with-a-purpose or courtship I wonder?

Was her pastor approving clothing choices? I was a little confused about that part when they were throwing away some jackets.

I get the feeling she grew up fundie because of the homeschooling, but then she and her family veered more fundie lite. She did go to college, she does wear shorts and sleeveless shirts, and she has a job. I don't think it was addressed whether she lives with her parents still, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

You pretty much summed it up - the shorts, college and job didn't add up with deep fundie-dom either, especially since she mentioned the shorts were a hand-me-down from her mom.

You pretty much summed it up - the shorts, college and job didn't add up with deep fundie-dom either, especially since she mentioned the shorts were a hand-me-down from her mom.

Is her mom related the Arndts?

Archived