IGNORED

Little People, Big World

homeschoolmomma1

A long time ago, at the start of the series, Matt was hosting a few corporate events on the farm, against Amy's wishes. Last year, they bought the farm next to them, and that's where they're going to do weddings and other events, so Amy's "privacy" will be maintained, but Matt can still get his ego stroked and have a purpose for which he can constantly insist he "has" to have (another building, another man toy, another car, whatever...).

I like how Amy admits that TLC is apparently picking up most of the cost of renovating the barn and grounds into an event venue. Gotta hand it to Matt - he knows how to make a deal.

Guess since they lost their case against the county, they had to find something else to bring in the bucks and maintain their lifestyle...

Won't be watching - I live in LPBW territory, and I've had more than enough of them.

I'm not a huge of fan of Amy, but I also like that she admits to the TLC perks unlike Boob, Mullet, and Joshie boy.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June swivel necking at Amy and Matt might be worth the time.

I have to wonder at how Matt keeps reeling in TLC.

I think Matt is a greedy man like Jim Bob Duggar, but I think TLC keeps working with Matt because there is still come curiosity about little people in the reality show business. The Roloffs have some mainstream appeal unlike the Duggars. I disliked the Roloff twins, but I liked that there were episodes that show the twins, Jacob, and Molly having their own interests or doing things that didn't require the whole family to be involved with. I liked the one episode of twins going to homecoming with dates. Something like that is pretty normal compared to the J'Slaves talking about how daddy will choose their husbands. I liked how Amy didn't always act like everything was perfect.

I can see Boob following Matt's lead and trying to get update or mini-series deals with TLC.

This show is still so damn popular in my neck of the woods. Probably because Amy is from and attended college here in Michigan. I still don't get the appeal.

I have often joked that there would eventually be a show that was a big family of Little People who run a wedding business and bakery.... and this is oh so very close.

When I first read the title I assumed that one of the kids (presumably Zach since his girlfriend has been on the show) was getting married :doh:

When I first read the title I assumed that one of the kids (presumably Zach since his girlfriend has been on the show) was getting married :doh:

Oh good I wasn't the same one who had that first thought. :lol:

Aren't the Roloffs kind of fundie-lite? Their kids go/went to some kind of Christian private school, and I remember Zach getting detention or something because his hair was too long for the dress code.

I have often joked that there would eventually be a show that was a big family of Little People who run a wedding business and bakery.... and this is oh so very close.

I'm sure Amy will offer to make wedding cakes. With Molly's help, of course.

Aren't the Roloffs kind of fundie-lite? Their kids go/went to some kind of Christian private school, and I remember Zach getting detention or something because his hair was too long for the dress code.

Yes, they went to a conservative christian academy in the Portland area. My parents looked into that school when we moved out there. They choose the more liberal LCMS school. I needed the small school but I did have to deal with a level of crazy.

I also remember Amy made the twins take a tour at some Christian college. There have been a different stories floating around about the Roloffs' religious beliefs. One rumor is that Amy is more religious than Matt and she was the one who pushed for the kids to attend Faith Bible. Jacob got kicked out of Faith Bible right before he started high school and he is attending a public school. The Roloffs were linked to some Portland pastor that has bashed gays quite a bit and we can't forget about Jeremy's homophobic rants on MySpace.

I'm sure Amy will offer to make wedding cakes. With Molly's help, of course.

IIRC, Molly is attending college at Washington State. I seriously doubt she's going to fly back to Oregon on weekends. I doubt Pullman has many flights to Portland, or flights anywhere for that matter. Driving? That would waste her entire weekend.

I guess Matt and Amy have to do something so they can be divorced without anyone having to pay serious alimony or child support. Who wants to bet Matt is housed elsewhere on the compound?

As someone who is planning a wedding I would say that the Wedding Farm concept is going to work. One woman, a good 40 minutes outside of Pittsburgh on tiny, haphazard roads no less was charging 8500 for use of her converted barn and grounds (lovely lake and gazebo) and that included flowers grown on her farm, dishes, tables, chairs and a bonfire.... food, music, booze was all extra. She gave us a discount down to 4500 for a Sunday wedding! This was cheaper than the 6-9k we were being quoted for Sunday weddings.

OH, and she was renovating a small B and B on the other side of the property and a local chef and her were working together on the catering (and her only produce was sold to this particular chef... her farm doesn't have a lot of productive acreage). And there was a little farm house on the property that was a couple grand more to rent out to use for the party and presumably the B and B would be for guests.

Despite the costs she already had a significant amount of bookings over a year before the dates. I was told by folks who had a "last minute" wedding there on a Sunday that they only got the place due to a cancellation about 4 months before their planned month.

That and she doesn't have a reality show!!! And up here there is some extreme weather... super hot and rainy in the summer and only a short autumn and spring (which are also rainy).

THe Roloffs have the notoriety (and frankly a pretty piece of property) to make this venture a go if they do things right. If they provide, standard, things like Chiavari chairs and make things pretty and fun they can charge a premium. If they go into a joint venture with a caterer and provide flowers from their farm and other perks they can make a mint. And if, unlike the venues I just mentioned, they are allowed to sell alcohol (the venues above are BYOB with a hired bartender), then they can really cleanup by charging 20-60 per person for your typical wedding bar.

All in all I can't believe its taken this long. If I had a farm I'd go the same route as the wedding venues above. I'd stop growing food and start hosting weddings and corporate events. I think the Roloffs do the latter, don't they"? The few eps I saw seemed to involve them having other fun stuff on the farm for the events. They can charge even more for weddings when they can do unique carnival accents on top of everything.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess TLC made a new deal with Matt- A new Series will begin soon.

Something about a Weddning Farm...

Sorry if this was discussed before- I just saw this on a commercial

I heard something about the son killing kittens for fun and taking photos of it.

Jeremy's friend was throwing one of the family cats & Jeremy was laughing and taking pictures. I just googled it. I couldn't find anything on kitten killing.

I can't stand the Roloffs! I used to threaten my kids that I'd make them watch the show when they misbehaved, which usually got them to straighten up pretty quickly. Matt Roloff is the laziest, most entitled, annoying person I've ever seen. His nasally, whiny voice makes me want to beat him with his crutch! The kids are all lazy brats too. Amy is the only one who does any work in that family.

Jeremy and his friends threw a cat and stomped birds to death (taking pictures of both) The bird stomping pictures were already posted on FJ (that's how I actually learned of them, though I already knew about the cat thing)

Matt and Amy are disgusting, hateful people who've raised disgusting, hateful children.

ETA: The animal killing is discussed here (about half-way down the page):

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12580&start=20

Jeremy's friend was throwing one of the family cats & Jeremy was laughing and taking pictures. I just googled it. I couldn't find anything on kitten killing.

Sorry, I think I had the kitten and bird stories mixed up in my head.

Jeremy and his friends threw a cat and stomped birds to death (taking pictures of both) The bird stomping pictures were already posted on FJ (that's how I actually learned of them, though I already knew about the cat thing)

Matt and Amy are disgusting, hateful people who've raised disgusting, hateful children.

Oh, yuck! I just found a post about it: [link=]http://spiritswander.blogspot.com/2012/09/jeremy-roloff-and-his-reputation-with.html[/link]

Now I hate them even more! I'm a huge animal lover. I believe people who are cruel to animals should go to jail. It's not that much of a stretch from animals to people. Most serial killers start out that way.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived