IGNORED

Alyssa Bates with a BOYFRIEND!!

sunshine

I wonder if her parents were unaware that she was using that term and when they found out made her take it down. You don't get to be high up in ati like Gil is by being liberal and open minded. People seem to forget that Gil is on the ati board of directors he believes just as many horrible controlling things about his adult children as Jim Bob does. They are just better at appearing normal.

This. I think it's good to remember that as more "normal" as they seem, they are just as controlling over their adult kids. The two courtships/engagements clearly involve chaperones, accountability partners, being monitored, given permission on how much to touch, its all controlled and remember these are all legal adults. It's also important to remember that Gil is up there in ATI-land and that right there is a sign, that in spite of some differences in their parenting, they are cut from the same cloth as the Duggars in terms of their beliefs.

Have you guys seen the latest comments on the Bates Family Blog? Someone asked if Alyssa and John were courting and Kelly replied

"Dear Katie,

Well, I’d imagine if you keep watching, you’re likely to see updates on Alyssa in the near future! Love, Kelly"

So that's two Bates engagements and one courtship :lol: :dance: :lol:

Have you guys seen the latest comments on the Bates Family Blog? Someone asked if Alyssa and John were courting and Kelly replied

"Dear Katie,

Well, I’d imagine if you keep watching, you’re likely to see updates on Alyssa in the near future! Love, Kelly"

So that's two Bates engagements and one courtship :lol: :dance: :lol:

My vote is on engaged by Thanksgiving.

Next year Gil & Kelly may be grandparents. I wonder what JimBob & Michelle will think about that?

Possibly with two grand kids. It's pretty easy to catch up since only one of the Duggars is married. Compared to the soon to be two Bates. Next year, show or no show Jim Bob will release more of the j Slaves, if only to keep up and win the grand kids race since they tied in the kids department, unless Kelly decides to have another!

Possibly with two grand kids. It's pretty easy to catch up since only one of the Duggars is married. Compared to the soon to be two Bates. Next year, show or no show Jim Bob will release more of the j Slaves, if only to keep up and win the grand kids race since they tied in the kids department, unless Kelly decides to have another!

I kinda hope it won't happen, but I'd love to see Mullet's face if Kelly, Alyssa, Erin and Whitney were all knocked up at once and NO MORE DUGGARLINGS.

I kinda hope it won't happen, but I'd love to see Mullet's face if Kelly, Alyssa, Erin and Whitney were all knocked up at once and NO MORE DUGGARLINGS.

That would be GREAT! but I really hope no more children for Kelly. She seems to love children, so I think Gil and her will enjoy grandchildren. I don't see Jimbob or Mullet interested in Josh children at all.

In the replies to comments about Zach and Whitney's engagement in Florida, Kelly writes that they stayed with (Congressman) Webster's family there (Alyssa's boyfriend's father is U.S. Rep. Daniel Webster). If I remember correctly, Alyssa's birthday is in autumn, because she and her dad went deer hunting for her birthday. I predict she & John start courting on her 19th birthday. Also in her replies, Kelly also discusses Zach's "failed" courtship & how they have changed their views on it. PS It bothers me that fundies have to view every courtship that doesn't lead to marriage as a "failure". How sad it would be if I had to look at every past boyfriend & date, other than with my now-husband, in my life in purely negative terms.

Alyssa will be 19 on November 9th. I really hope she doesn't get engaged on her birthday. 19 is so young, and she's been so sheltered. At least give her a few more years before she starts popping out babies, Gil and Kelly!

In the replies to comments about Zach and Whitney's engagement in Florida, Kelly writes that they stayed with (Congressman) Webster's family there (Alyssa's boyfriend's father is U.S. Rep. Daniel Webster). If I remember correctly, Alyssa's birthday is in autumn, because she and her dad went deer hunting for her birthday. I predict she & John start courting on her 19th birthday. Also in her replies, Kelly also discusses Zach's "failed" courtship & how they have changed their views on it. PS It bothers me that fundies have to view every courtship that doesn't lead to marriage as a "failure". How sad it would be if I had to look at every past boyfriend & date, other than with my now-husband, in my life in purely negative terms.

They are speaking from a cultural perspective, where the person they meet will one day become their spouse. This is drilled in them. People like us don't necessary think our boyfriend will become our future husband; while they do. I am Zach felt he was follow the rules of courtship to a T but when it does go thru he lost hope. They can't have Zach thinking that courtship does work, so re-evaluating is better than the old plan.

Off topic, but I find it interesting to note that JD and Jana are 11 days older than Michael Bates, and Erin is 15 days older than Jill.

Isn't Kelly the one who said that they don't believe any courtships are 'failed' courtships because God obviously wanted them to experience it and they learn from what happened and move on? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I was sure it was Kelly...

I think you're right, Zach's courtship wasn't a failure, because he learned from it and it ultimately brought him close to Whitney.

Alyssa will be 19 on November 9th. I really hope she doesn't get engaged on her birthday. 19 is so young, and she's been so sheltered. At least give her a few more years before she starts popping out babies, Gil and Kelly!

Well, hopefully they'll only start courting then, and get engaged in the spring. At least she'd get another full year of no babies in, if they put off a wedding until next fall.

Well, hopefully they'll only start courting then, and get engaged in the spring. At least she'd get another full year of no babies in, if they put off a wedding until next fall.

I hope so. It's been almost a year, I think, since Erin and Chad began their courtship, right? That might be typical for girls in their family.

Even still, Alyssa strikes me as still rather immature and I don't think a year will change that by much. I think I have only known one 19 year old that was ready to be married and did so, and even she regrets not waiting 3 or 4 years.

I hope so. It's been almost a year, I think, since Erin and Chad began their courtship, right? That might be typical for girls in their family.

Even still, Alyssa strikes me as still rather immature and I don't think a year will change that by much. I think I have only known one 19 year old that was ready to be married and did so, and even she regrets not waiting 3 or 4 years.

Well, yes. Didn't mean to make it seem like I thought that time table was ideal, just the best this family's going to get.

Well, yes. Didn't mean to make it seem like I thought that time table was ideal, just the best this family's going to get.

Oh I know you weren't, I'm just thinking out loud (thinking out typing?). The best this family is going to get is very sad.

Wow, I really don't know what to think. First, 19 is way too young, even for a mature young adult. Also, while a part of me thinks it's great that the Bates are obviously not preventing their daughters from moving on with their lives, their kids still have to meet that expectation of marriage and children. it is just hard to know if it is truely what she wants for her life. I just cringe when a young women, who has been so sheltered, is courting. I am so thankful for my experiences in dating and intimacy because I am very aware of what I want for myself. Not having that experience, I don't see how I could have been able to choose something right for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived