IGNORED

The Courtship of Jessa Duggar - Part 2

happy atheist

I agree, far better for him to save and take the money and run. Of course, it's too bad that taking the money and running in this case would have to involve getting married when he really might not be ready to at this stage in his life...

Well, I don't think JD would be shunned if he left to live on his own, assuming he tows the line otherwise.

But he gets a ton of benefits from living at home. His food is cooked for him, his underwear washed, his home cleaned by others, he doesn't have to pay for much. He's a got a great deal right now.

I also find it interesting that JD owns a house, and Josh never has.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the courtship article linked above:

Then our daughters, we’ve got Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger ...

Ummm, J'ichelle, you have a lot more daughters than just those four. Maybe you need to say, "Our four oldest daughters ...."

She also started off the article saying "my home". Shouldn't it be, "our home"?

I can't imagine people watching my first kiss. I can barely think about it without dying of embarrassment. I started laughing halfway through it because it started all nice and romantic, then my brain kicked in and was all "YOU'RE KISSING! THIS IS A KISS!" and I just dissolved into a fit of giggles. Poor guy probably thought he did something wrong. At least it wasn't sex that I was laughing at, or seeing someone naked.

Speaking from experience it's horrifyingly embarrassing.

Please, I think Boob will send Jessa out with a chasity belt on for her wedding/honeymoon. She'll probably have to wear it 7 years until he thinks Ben is "worth" of sex.... :disgust:

In my area, you do not need a collage degree to be a cop. I also think it's smart JD is renting out his house. (John Maxwell, are you listening???).

I think all couples should live together before getting married. My boyfriend and I have been together almost 2 years and have lived together for a year and a half of it. I almost married the wrong man and didn't realize it till we were engaged and living together.

The whole no kissing before marriage is fucking nuts. I can't imagine buying a car with out test driving it. Not a chance in hell I'm gonna marry someone with out testing the water (I'm testing everything)

I agree, far better for him to save and take the money and run. Of course, it's too bad that taking the money and running in this case would have to involve getting married when he really might not be ready to at this stage in his life...

That is if JB isn't charging him rent. I wouldn't put it past him. Ya know, getting him ready for the real world and all.

That is if JB isn't charging him rent. I wouldn't put it past him. Ya know, getting him ready for the real world and all.

I just hope JD won't have to support the family once the TLC gravy train leaves the station.

I think all couples should live together before getting married. My boyfriend and I have been together almost 2 years and have lived together for a year and a half of it. I almost married the wrong man and didn't realize it till we were engaged and living together.

The whole no kissing before marriage is fucking nuts. I can't imagine buying a car with out test driving it. Not a chance in hell I'm gonna marry someone with out testing the water (I'm testing everything)

I soooo agree and that will definitely be my advice to my children, live together for a while before marriage. Why put all that pressure of change on a brand new marriage? I would not want every single aspect of my life to change in one day, I'd rather first time sex, first time living together, and marriage all fall in different times (or years!). I don't really know why anyone who isn't religious would not live together first. It not working out logistically is the only reason I can come up with. Of course, I'm not religious and none of my friends are, so I've never been to a wedding where the couple did not live together first (other than the 1 super fundy cousin of my husband whose horrid wedding I was dragged to).

Speaking from experience it's horrifyingly embarrassing.

What about how the rest or our bodies reacts when we experience infatuation. What do you suppose Jessa is thinking about that and the same goes for good 'ol Ben (who I still get the vibe from the photo of Jessa and he that she is not totally into him). Do they know why their bodies are doing what their doing??? I hope so.

What exactly do they believe a 'police officer' is? You can't be a 'police officer' here without a 4 year degree and a year in the police academy.

YES!

Really pisses me off. I have friends who have studied hard or gone through hard month long courses just to be on call life guards (I live next to the Sea) They are accredited life boat and rescue and are voluntary. You are not accepted unless you are able and trained. The are VOLUNTARY.

To be a police officer is not just a whim like in Duggar world.

To be a fireman is not just a whim like in Duggar world.

These are vocations that take intensive training and education in my country. They are not some do good cause.

I really hate they call their girl child a 'midwife' No. How dare you. I have friends who studied in University for that for 4yrs, They don't just follow a 'friend.'

It is a very difficult nursing discipline that has on average a 'look' for a very high 'A' level pass rate just for entry. On average 300 applicants for 20 places per uni.

so fuck off to not be polite...Michelle.

I am horrified they make good public services sound like careers their kids have. It's disgusting.

Anyone else think that Jim Bob will be the one marrying Jessa and Ben, if the marriage ever happens? He could become a minister online in like an hour. That would allow Jim Bob to be the center of attention at the wedding.

Anyone else think that Jim Bob will be the one marrying Jessa and Ben, if the marriage ever happens? He could become a minister online in like an hour. That would allow Jim Bob to be the center of attention at the wedding.

Nope, Jim will have to do the transfer of authority. He wouldn't be giving the position away and watch how he will spoof the groom on the that....bring her down the aisle and say whoops, I changed my mine.

Have you seen this article yet? Has this been posted? "Michelle Duggar on Courtship" duggarfamily.com/content/home/33933/michelle_duggar_on_courtship

Read more at the source.

Reading between the lines that blog totally sounded like a fundy singles ad for the oldest kids. Especially JohnDavid...n

Reading between the lines that blog totally sounded like a fundy singles ad for the oldest kids. Especially JohnDavid...n

Yup, I can see it. So, competition is atfoot. Duggars: 1 marriage & 1 courtship Bates: 2 engaged, 1 in courtship

I saw on Rotans (Duggar cameraman) instagram that they are in Hot Springs, so looks like we will be getting plenty of courtship action on the show. Jim Bob in jean cut offs swimming in the hot spring, hopefully.

I soooo agree and that will definitely be my advice to my children, live together for a while before marriage. Why put all that pressure of change on a brand new marriage? I would not want every single aspect of my life to change in one day, I'd rather first time sex, first time living together, and marriage all fall in different times (or years!). I don't really know why anyone who isn't religious would not live together first. It not working out logistically is the only reason I can come up with. Of course, I'm not religious and none of my friends are, so I've never been to a wedding where the couple did not live together first (other than the 1 super fundy cousin of my husband whose horrid wedding I was dragged to).

He was raised fundie-lite (homeschooled, crazy religious mother type fundie) his mother won't let us sleep in the same bed if we stay at her house because we are not married yet. She was stongly against us living together but its our lives not hers and she respects that.

If you dont live together you arnt going to know the little quirks everyone has that may annoy the piss out of you. Like he leaves his damn socks everywhere and turns into a man child when he is sick or when I can't find my baby blanket in the middle of the night (I'm a 25 year old woman and its my one constant in life. Dont judge lol) I wake him up to help me find it.

The first kiss is awkward enough I dont want to have my first kiss, first time having sex and moving out of my parents all on the same day.

I agree. I know some people feel differently, but for me it's important to test drive MULTIPLE important aspects of marriage, including cohabitation.

Couples who live together before they marry are more likely to divorce, though. [link=http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/opinion/sunday/the-downside-of-cohabiting-before-marriage.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0]Here[/link] is a NYTimes article about cohabitation. It seems like it may be just that couples who use cohabitation as a test to see if marriage would work were less likely to have a successful relationship in the first place.

Couples who live together before they marry are more likely to divorce, though. [link=http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/opinion/sunday/the-downside-of-cohabiting-before-marriage.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0]Here[/link] is a NYTimes article about cohabitation. It seems like it may be just that couples who use cohabitation as a test to see if marriage would work were less likely to have a successful relationship in the first place.

I've read some of those articles as well. I also came away with the impression that this connection is probably correlative, and not causative. I think that in general, it's probably not cohabitation itself that increases likelihood of divorce. I don't know whether those relationships tend to be "weaker" to begin with (causing indecisiveness re: commitment), or if people who are willing to delay marriage and cohabitate tend to have a more flexible view of marriage and thus be more willing to divorce when things go downhill. My guess is it's probably a combination of many factors.

I couldn't care less whether other people choose to live together before marriage. I assume they're adults and they can make their own choices. I'd just like them to pay me the same respect by not suggesting that I'm stupid for choosing not to.

My husband and i just celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary:). We never lived together before we got married. That being said, we dated for 8 years before we were married and during that time we slept over at each other's places ( mine moreso than his as his bed sucked) and we vacationed with each other. I knew all about his quirks and flaws as he did mine. I will also say neither of us are religious. We just share the belief that marriage means sharing a life together which includes living together; whereas dating does not. We now have a son and will encourage him to follow our example; date and live on your own, get married and live together. Too many times we have seen our friends and family go thru breakups and on top of tha figure out a new place to live.

Just my two cents;)

My husband and I never lived together before we were married either. We are about to celebrate our second wedding anniversary, and we have been together for a total of five and a half years. To be perfectly honest, the reason we didn't live together is because we didn't want to. We both lived at home, so we were able to save a ton of money that way. We both spent time at each other's house and took trips and stuff together before we were even engaged. About two and a half months before the wedding we closed on our house. My husband moved in and lived there immediately. I stayed for about a week and a half, and then went back home till literally after the honeymoon. I moved some stuff there, but the day after the wedding is when I moved in all the stuff I needed.

My husband and I have a great life together, so I guess I don't understand when people say you HAVE to live together before you get married. :angry-banghead: I'm not saying that everyone shouldn't, it's just, whatever works for you, ya know?

My husband and I have a great life together, so I guess I don't understand when people say you HAVE to live together before you get married. :angry-banghead: I'm not saying that everyone shouldn't, it's just, whatever works for you, ya know?

Yeah, I think this is true of any choice like that. Do what works for you and let others do what works for them.

Archived