IGNORED

The Courtship of Jessa Duggar - Part 2

happy atheist

It's on his FB - started working at Cynthia Rougeau - State Farm Agent December 17 Hot Springs, Arkansas. I'm sure he'll be making diddly squat (commissions) for a while, but at least he is now employed.

Edited to add: I believe JB sold insurance in the early days, too. I'm sure he approves.

Is he allowed to work for a woman? I say that because they have strict rules about the whole man and woman roles.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the Real World has intruded on the made-up life rules of Gothard. Under Gothard's dictates men are supposed to work for themselves, not a boss. We have talked about this-- how hard it is for the young guys starting out to begin their own companies and often what happens is the father starts the son out by setting him up with an independent business (like J.B. starting Josh off with his car business.) I realize that Ben is affiliated with Vision Quest rather than Gothard but I would be surprised if JB approves.

If they do start changing the rules, that would be huge for all those Quiverful boys out there who need employment.

It looks like the Real World has intruded on the made-up life rules of Gothard. Under Gothard's dictates men are supposed to work for themselves, not a boss. We have talked about this-- how hard it is for the young guys starting out to begin their own companies and often what happens is the father starts the son out by setting him up with an independent business (like J.B. starting Josh off with his car business.) I realize that Ben is affiliated with Vision Quest rather than Gothard but I would be surprised if JB approves.

If they do start changing the rules, that would be huge for all those Quiverful boys out there who need employment.

I think both Chad and Zach are employed by someone else, also.

If they married, are they allowed to rent apartments or only houses? I only ask because I remember reading that Erin and guy whose name escapes me, were renting a house. I think Kelly also mentioned that Zach had rented a house. It seems like fundies might not like apartments just because you can come in regular contact with the heathens.

Although I find Ben suspect for some reason I give him props for getting a real job. Don't agents have to be bonded? Is he old enough? Maybe he is just a file clerk or part of the office staff. I thought that agents would have college degrees or some further education.

Edited because I lose all of my English skills when typing on my phone.

Most fundies live in pretty rural areas, so there probably aren't many apartments around.

you can get some cheap housing here. my last place was a two bedroom, 400 a month all utilities paid. you can find cheap places that allow you to keep most of your paycheck.

It's on his FB - started working at Cynthia Rougeau - State Farm Agent December 17 Hot Springs, Arkansas. I'm sure he'll be making diddly squat (commissions) for a while, but at least he is now employed.

Edited to add: I believe JB sold insurance in the early days, too. I'm sure he approves.

Cynthia Rougeau owns the agency and she is African American.

you can get some cheap housing here. my last place was a two bedroom, 400 a month all utilities paid. you can find cheap places that allow you to keep most of your paycheck.

Wow, difference in housing prices must make a HUGE difference in what sort of lifestyles are possible :shock:

A cheap two bedroom apartment in my area is at least $1500, and we are in an area with relatively low wages ( maybe not compared to the rural south )

That makes it even better! I hope young Ben and Jessa have a long happy marriage as a mainstream couple with 1.5 kids and all that goes with it.

So according to his facebook, he goes to church in Glenwood, which is about an hour drive from hot springs. that, plus the pics from the family reunion lead me to believe that he has family there. This would also be a better place to live for them if Jessa wants out of the spotlight... small town, in town grocery, walmart is an hour away either sice but worth the drive if you cant get what you need at Wrights.

If my assumption is correct, my grandmother would know his family. Or if she didnt, she would be able to trace how our family is aquainted through some neighbor or friend. To make things even more interesting, its entirely possible we are related to them. My grandmas family is one of the major ones of that area, so almost everyone is related somehow.

anyway, if i ask my grandma about the seewalds (anyone know his parents names?) and she knows about them, is it against the rules to post it here?

The dad is Michael the mom is Gwenn and they are also related to the herrmanns

But interesting what I found:

preteristarchive.com/Modern/TBE-8_13E-mail.pdf

I grew up in the Identity movement, and I would like to see others delivered from its errors. Keep writing, my brother. In Christ,. Michael Seewald Hot Springs Arkansas

The identity movement is a white supremacist movement that believes blacks don't have souls and gays should be executed and Jesus was probably blonde. Google tells me there are multiple CI groups in Arkansas, one in hot springs county. Although it's clear the seewalds are not exist and Ben is clearly anti racist (now I wonder if those posts were directed at someone in particular)

You know what. This explains the race comment on his facebook. Apparently, we still live in the 1950s. Good to know. Note to self, avoid Arkansas.

Of all the things I miss about Arkansas, I think I miss the affordable housing most of all. I used to rent a 2 bedroom 1 bath trailer on 1/2 an acre for 250 a month. Here, a 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment in a crappy neighborhood runs you 12-1500 easy.

You know what. This explains the race comment on his facebook. Apparently, we still live in the 1950s. Good to know. Note to self, avoid Arkansas.

I just looked and it appears he was taking on his grandma who "stands with phil." go ben!

I just looked and it appears he was taking on his grandma who "stands with phil." go ben!

That is awesome.

I think working for an African American woman is going to be good for him. Not only will he realise that women can be good leaders and can run a business just as well as a man, but fundie culture is so racist, being around people of different races and seeing that they are just the same as white people will push him away from all those teachings.

Wait, he's actually condemning Phil's comments? For serious?

I guess its a start. At least he is recognising that Phil is a bigot and shouldn't get all the asskissing he is getting. Its a step up from the fundies who are kissing his ass and defending him for being homophobic, but ignoring that he is also a racist.

I guess its a start. At least he is recognising that Phil is a bigot and shouldn't get all the asskissing he is getting. Its a step up from the fundies who are kissing his ass and defending him for being homophobic, but ignoring that he is also a racist.

So far, I've seen two people surprise me with their reactions to Phil. One is Ben and the other is the conservative sister of a friend of mine. Both have come down on the side of not defending Phil's statements. I will take this start and hope it leads to greater things.

Wait, he's actually condemning Phil's comments? For serious?

I feel that's a tenuous connection. The last public thing on his grandma's FB was 'Stand with Phil,' and they disagree about race, but who knows if it's actually related.

1. I'm glad he's employed, and in a real job, not his windshield repair business or whatever that was.

2. This probably means he's trying to move forward to marriage pretty soon. He needs to prove to Jim Bob that he can support Jessa and their inevitable blessings - and of course either afford rent, or buy a house debt-free.

I can see a windshield business doing ok given the fact that he also works for an insurance agent. The same can be said of JD's towing company. I think Ben and Jessa are potentially a good match. I'm glad he's seems more fundie-lite.

I HAVE GOSSIP!!!!!

Take this with a grain of salt, as the person who told me this has a spotty reputation with the truth. But its gossip so I guess it doesn't have to be true to report it.

Ben Seewald hangs out outside of Wrights (Glenwood's local grocery store) on Saturday afternoons and passes out anti abortion fliers and tries to make people sign a petition to outlaw abortion. Apparently he has been yelled at a few times by women who needed life saving abortions as well as women who are pro choice.

Archived