IGNORED

Jessa is Courting! All Things Duggar Family - Part 7

happy atheist

I didn't think that TLC would film - the Bontrager event is for true believers and would be way more overtly fundie than most TLC viewers would be comfortable with.

Yeah, I get the feeling that the Bongtragers' annual event is more like a fundie tent revival.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bontragers are another mega family that appeared on the Duggars show a couple of years ago. The "great friends" they'd only met once before, and the joke was that no one could pronounce their last name. It showed major disrespect.

At any rate, they are a family singing/farming group, a lot like the Wissmans, but they have an annual event every Labor Day on their farm. I think this is the second year the Duggars have appeared.

Sorry, I checked the who's who and didn't see them listed. Who are the Bongtragers?

A large family who tours as a singing group. They have VF and ATI connections, but both parents come from a Mennonite background. They appeared in the NYC Duggars episode.

Google Bontrager Family Singers to find their blog and also YouTubes of their performances. I personally find them to be generally a lot more listenable than the Duggars and Bates, and their "Sibling Cooperation" gimmick where they all play each others instruments is pretty cool.

Their beliefs are pretty standard fundie , I find them interesting cause the parents were raised Mennonite and the extended families include traditional Mennonites, but the Bontragers are polished, media ready, modern modest fundies.

I'm not a lawyer, but would think that the sign has no legal standing for a public event. They likely can impose picture/video restrictions to a closed event. I doubt that they could limit discussion of any event, even on social media, unless one signed a confidentiality agreement. I could be wrong.

Edited for riffles

You can control what happens on private property. I can post that only people wearing thigh high fishnets and 3 inch heels are allowed in my house, kicking everyone else out. I can require people to do shots when they use the bathroom... I cannot prevent them from writing about it unless they receive some form of benefit and agree to the surrender of their rights in writing. They can say "please" dont talk about this all day long but they cant prevent me from doing it. TMZ wouldnt exist if they could. So, they can kick people out that they dont like but they cant keep me from writing about it.

I see nothing to indicate that a concealed recording device is "illegal" in itself. How its utilized and what was recorded is the grey area, here. My guess is that the Duggars are just assholes but, well, we knew that already!

Sorry, cross post with Marmalade

No worries. I think that between our posts, the OP gets a good scope on what the Boatrangers are about. I totally forgot the Mennonite connection!

I think the Boatrangers are okay. I'd say slightly better than the Bateses, only because they don't have an uber talent like Erin. However, they're nowhere near the level of the Reiths. I admit I find them to be the "best" (relative term) of the fundie groups to which I've been exposed.

Of course, bringing up the rear are the Duggar screechers, and the non-dulcet tones of the "Trust eeeeeeen Obey" Maxwells. Oh, and the "musical stylings" of TFDW. *we need an ear bleed emoticon*

parentables.howstuffworks.com/family-matters/michelle-duggar-her-familys-buddy-system.html#mkcpgn=fbtlc1

I feel like they just keep repeating themselves...

OMG, I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

What is this event, a meeting at the Bohemian Grove, or an annual Bilderberg meeting?! These people think too highly of themselves. Their event was a barn dance without dancing and drinking and a bunch of weirdos. The only reason why it can be secret is that they are so ashamed of their lives.

OMG, I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

What is this event, a meeting at the Bohemian Grove, or an annual Bilderberg meeting?! These people think too highly of themselves. Their event was a barn dance without dancing and drinking and a bunch of weirdos. The only reason why it can be secret is that they are so ashamed of their lives.

It's hardly a secret, the Bontragers organise and host it every year and the details are all over their blog.

Duggar Family Helps Raise Money For Arkansas Children's Hospital

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/story/du ... vVHGfx9fwg

"literally God used them to save my life" :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I didn't think that TLC would film - the Bontrager event is for true believers and would be way more overtly fundie than most TLC viewers would be comfortable with.

There was quite a few Nike! dressed people at the Bontrager's event, so I don't know how super-fundie it was; I spy girls in short skirts and women in shorts in the photos on their blog.

I love the fact she talks about tying show laces and buckling kids car seats - I wouldn't have a problem if that was all the buddy system involved. It's knowing that the older girls get up at night to their younger siblings that bothers me.

I'm going to comment on the Jordyn thing, because it's always bugged me.

I don't think she's neglected any more than the other kids are neglected. Have you ever had that kid who refused to have her hair brushed, or you just couldn't keep clothes on, or was just a whirling dervish of movement and mess and never looked neat? My brothers were like that, and my friends' DD was also like that. Not really a reflection of how well they were taken care of, because she would put her DD's hair up and it would be down within seconds, she'd dress her and she'd be naked within minutes, I babysat her several times and it was a new experience because my son wasn't a nudist, but if I looked away for a second there'd be a naked toddler and later preschooler, streaking through the house. I guess her kindy teachers even had a few fun experiences with her, lol.

I think she's just one of those kids. Regardless of how well they're actually taken care of, the kids are always dressed and presentable.

I mean, I don't think she's getting near the attention she needs but I also don't think she's being shoved off in a corner and never dressed or cleaned up, you know?

None of these blog posts ever contain anything new or original. It's always a regurgitation of something from the show or their books. I suppose the Jim-Bob list of approved topics has pretty much run dry.

"literally God used them to save my her life" :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Yeah, with no mention of Josie or any "her" other than Michelle in the article, I don't know whether that was terrible journalism or Michelle is just that self-centered, but that was a weird quote.

I'm going to go with the former, because even though the latter is true, she very much sticks to the talking points about how precious Josie is.

ETA: I watched the video. It's terrible journalism and paraphrasing. Michelle does name and talk about Josie in the actual, correct quote.

I love the fact she talks about tying show laces and buckling kids car seats - I wouldn't have a problem if that was all the buddy system involved. It's knowing that the older girls get up at night to their younger siblings that bothers me.

I don't pay much attention to these people except an occasional thread on here. But it is stuff like this that BURNS me.

I'm going to comment on the Jordyn thing, because it's always bugged me.

I don't think she's neglected any more than the other kids are neglected. Have you ever had that kid who refused to have her hair brushed, or you just couldn't keep clothes on, or was just a whirling dervish of movement and mess and never looked neat? My brothers were like that, and my friends' DD was also like that. Not really a reflection of how well they were taken care of, because she would put her DD's hair up and it would be down within seconds, she'd dress her and she'd be naked within minutes, I babysat her several times and it was a new experience because my son wasn't a nudist, but if I looked away for a second there'd be a naked toddler and later preschooler, streaking through the house. I guess her kindy teachers even had a few fun experiences with her, lol.

I think she's just one of those kids. Regardless of how well they're actually taken care of, the kids are always dressed and presentable.

I mean, I don't think she's getting near the attention she needs but I also don't think she's being shoved off in a corner and never dressed or cleaned up, you know?

Who have you ever seen interact with Jordyn, even as a baby? Not her parents, except in that very staged episode about her tonsils last season. Michelle called her "my sweet little Jordyn" and sounded slightly surprised, as if she'd just discovered what an adorable toddler she had. Not Jessa, who could care less about mothering Jordyn. I can remember Justin and John-David off the top of my hat. That's neglect, and more than the other children get.

Edited for spelling

Archived