IGNORED

Michelle Duggar's iPhone

rhianna

So, I finally watched the "Manhattan Duggars" and "Duggars, Dan and Dating" episodes. I agree with the opinions of some here that Jim-Bob seems more involved with the kids than Michelle, and something I've noticed over this season is that Michelle seems obsessed with her iPhone. Now granted, sometimes her usage of it was in the course of parenting, like taking videos of Josie's gagging to show the speech therapist, or Jessa typing notes to her on the phone when she had her wisdom teeth removed.

But in the "Dating" episode Jim-Bob is trying to talk to her and she won't get off her phone. She looks like a teenager, totally ignoring him while trying to text or something.

Anyone else notice this?

Maybe she's trying to think of new ways to use it? Those phones can do a ton of stuff, and if she's only using it for calls and texts, she might feel like she's underusing it or something. I know I do that sometimes. I'll go through periods of "I really should be using more of the features on this phone."

I wonder how new it is. I was so excited when I first got a smartphone, but it wore off in a couple of weeks.

I think that her life basically stalled when she was a teenager and she's still at the same level of maturity.

Maybe she's trying to figure out the free Kama Sutra app, checking out new positions and stuff for her and the DimBulb to try. :lol:

Maybe she's trying to figure out the free Kama Sutra app, checking out new positions and stuff for her and the DimBulb to try. :lol:

I actually thought something similar, that she was tracking her fertility with some form of an ovulation app and was wondering if she needed DB NOW or in 20 minutes..

I noticed on the tornado episode she was using the weather app. I kind of think Michelle is an iPhone addict. Some people are pretty addicted to using all the apps/features on their phones.

If it is a product placement, she needs to be seen using it so many times. I mean, Apple is not going to hand over thousands of dollars in free phones just so they can languish in a diaper bag.

I think it might be product placement. I think the Duggar iPhones are probably new but the other products might be refurbs.

Michelle will use anything that distracts her from caring for her own children, in my opinion.

Michelle will use anything that distracts her from caring for her own children, in my opinion.

Agreed. It is also likely a product placement. It seem weird to me that it's Michelle who gets the free Iphone if that's the case, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that JimBoob is a little to slow to grasp smartphones.

You'd think the older girls would have jumped on that--but maybe the risk of freedom through internet access that's not monitored by mom and dad is the reason why the older girls don't have one?

The older girls have had iphones for years. I think in the very first season you see Anna's name show up on one of the older Duggar girl's phone, before she and Josh were married. If anything I think Michelle is just now getting on board, or just now discovering new features.

I think it was mentioned here on maybe on the old FJ that Michelle has parental locks on the kids' iPhones or something. I would be surprised if the Duggar iPhones had Bible apps on them.

• 5 years later...

@IreneNo the older girls had iphones when Josie was born - none of them were courting yet.  Plus they've discussed how the boys get flip phones of shame - so they can't look at pictures of bikini clad women on the internet.

And on that note - has anyone seen if Josh has smartphone lately or is back to a flip phone?

58 minutes ago, imokit said:

@IreneNo the older girls had iphones when Josie was born - none of them were courting yet.  Plus they've discussed how the boys get flip phones of shame - so they can't look at pictures of bikini clad women on the internet.

And on that note - has anyone seen if Josh has smartphone lately or is back to a flip phone?

At least at Mother's Day (when Anna and Smuggar and the M kids surprised Anna's mom), he was filming on an iPhone. 

1 hour ago, imokit said:

the boys get flip phones of shame - so they can't look at pictures of bikini clad women on the internet.

At least the girls get SOMETHING nicer than the boys. Considering they do everything. However, I find it so weird the boys cant be trusted by a certain age...

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

At least the girls get SOMETHING nicer than the boys. Considering they do everything. However, I find it so weird the boys cant be trusted by a certain age...

The repressive nature of denying sexuality actually causes a fixation on the forbidden which is what probably led to Joshs molestationof his sisters trying to find out what girls looked like.  I have seen this issue many times in repressive households. It leads to a fascination in pronography and other things due to the "fix" one gets from doing something sinful and getting away with it. My husbands parents never talked about sex but always insinuated it was awful to even talk about. He definately was a little messed up on some things when we met!

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

Thing is that it's another way to control the girls. iphones have find my phone and gps trackers. Plus their internet usage is tracked. They might have a shiny phone but they can't actually use it.

During severe weather, I'm glued to my phone (Android not iPhone)which has a dozen or more weather apps.

Anyway...I think Michelle's excessive phone use is part product placement and part keeping track of the older kids.

I'd agree. Plus- mom has nice shiny phone to keep up to date with everyone, you need one too! Dad doesn't need one, could be pervy and that fits in with their modesty party lines. Not sure what the girls use but makes sense to me she'd have it and be curious about it- especially as someone said, her life stalled out really young.

Moochelle's iPhone is most likely product placement.

While she is probably very invested in using it, she's probably of the mind "I don't get to keep it if I don't use it! I must do what I'm told!"

Haven't some of the courting couples "chosen" to include parents in a group message to ensure that the conversation doesn't get too racy? Jinger was so busy texting Jeremy that she couldn't do her chores. Maybe Michelle is just trying to keep up with all the courting couples?   

Archived