IGNORED

Escape from polygamy

I probably will watch; my headship and future headship (aka "son") are camping, so I get to watch all the bad tv I want!

Only made it through the first half hour. Really bad movie, even by Lifetime's extremely low standards. Not even snark-worthy. Bummer.

I watched the whole thing. I admit I liked it up until the last 20 minutes. Another similar Lifetime movie The 19th Wife was actually a bit better than this one in my opinion.

I watched the whole thing. I admit I liked it up until the last 20 minutes. Another similar Lifetime movie The 19th Wife was actually a bit better than this one in my opinion.

You have a lot more stamina than I do! I ended up watching football--and I don't even like football.

I am recording it, just started watching... of course I will be judging how inaccurate it is. For one, the hair is not nearly big enough.

You have a lot more stamina than I do! I ended up watching football--and I don't even like football.

With Lifetime movies, I usually approach them as not expecting them to be extremely good, but as something as one time watch. There have been some Lifetime movies that I have liked quite a bit like Prayers for Bobby and the Georgia O'Keefe biopic. I didn't expect Escape from Polygamy to be extremely good, but the last 20 minutes ruined it for a bit. I kind of liked the main teen girl character.

I am recording it, just started watching... of course I will be judging how inaccurate it is. For one, the hair is not nearly big enough.

I agree with this.

Sorry but

"Daddy daddy daddy daddy" as J-bots run to receive one bicycle for all of them to share made the movie!

:cracking-up:

I recorded it and watched the first half hour or so as I was falling asleep. I couldn't help thinking of all the FJians watching it and mentally critiquing the "accuracy" of its depiction of the FLDS lifestyle: "Wait--where are their 'garments'?", etc.

So I just got really excited because I thought that this was FINALLY the movie based on Carolyn Jessop's book that has supposedly been in the works the past few years, with Katharine Heigl as Carolyn, but I guess it's more inspired by the LeBarons, hence Ervil and the Mexico compound. Though not in any way Irene Spencer or Susan Ray Schmidt's books. Hey, I'd watch it.

I recorded it and watched the first half hour or so as I was falling asleep. I couldn't help thinking of all the FJians watching it and mentally critiquing the "accuracy" of its depiction of the FLDS lifestyle: "Wait--where are their 'garments'?", etc.

I had the same reaction! Outfits weren't fundie enough, all that texting, teenaged girl managing to leave the compound without a chaperone, glimpses of bare shins, non-FLDS-approved hair. FJ has ruined my enjoyment of fictionalized fundie made-for-t.v. movies. Damn you, FJ!

*shakes fist in direction of hive vagina*

I had the same reaction! Outfits weren't fundie enough, all that texting, teenaged girl managing to leave the compound without a chaperone, glimpses of bare shins, non-FLDS-approved hair. FJ has ruined my enjoyment of fictionalized fundie made-for-t.v. movies. Damn you, FJ!

*shakes fist in direction of hive vagina*

That was also my reaction, as the FLDS were a fascination to me for a long time. Not only was the hair not what the FLDS would approve of, the clothing wasn't fundie enough. I also think The 19th Wife was better in its depiction of polygamy and the FLDS cult.

When did the Mormons stick an F in front of their name?

The FLDS are NOT mormon. They are a group that has their own beliefs and practices. Both groups base their teachings off of the Book of Mormon. But, they are not the same.

The FLDS are NOT mormon. They are a group that has their own beliefs and practices. Both groups base their teachings off of the Book of Mormon. But, they are not the same.

Of course the FLDS are Mormons. They aren't members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, but they are certainly Mormons.

Of course the FLDS are Mormons. They aren't members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, but they are certainly Mormons.

The term mormon is usually applied to members of the LDS church. The FLDS dont like being associated with them so they tell the world that they are NOT mormon.

A little know fact: The term Mormon was originally a derogatory term for the LDS. The LDS people decided to accept the term in what I think was a FU world stance.

I watched the whole thing. I was fraktastically painful! I believe for 0.0 seconds about edjumacating their wimmenz, that the prophet's eldest son would be so "bold," let alone a stray wimmen, and the whole romance thing.

I was amused by how many times they said "keep sweet" though.

I just watched it tonight! It's Romeo & Juliet set in a random fundie polygamy community (a very relaxed one...). Not accurate but pretty entertaining in the way that Lifetime movies usually are.

I'm travelling for work so I was forced to watch this. Because I only seem to watch very bad life time movies in hotels. This was so so bad. So bad.

:D That was bad even for a Lifetime movie, IMHO.

There were some funny parts, like the teens discussing the age of the earth within 2 seconds of meeting each other.

Yes, somewhat entertaining, but not good, either. As Dorothy Parker said, "This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it."

So, I'm an academic specializing in appropriations of Shakespeare. Thus, I have seen/read about a billion shitty versions of Romeo and Juliet. This one might just take the cake. I can't decide if I want to write a paper on it, or if that would make me claw out my own eyes.

So, I'm an academic specializing in appropriations of Shakespeare. Thus, I have seen/read about a billion shitty versions of Romeo and Juliet. This one might just take the cake. I can't decide if I want to write a paper on it, or if that would make me claw out my own eyes.

Please don't do that! The R/J ripoff in this one was so half-assed that it doesn't deserve a place in your canon.

P.S.: Your username is from Othello, right? Please please please...

P.P.S.: YOU ARE AN ACADEMIC SPECIALIZING IN APPROPRIATIONS OF SHAKESPEARE. I want to move to wherever it is you live and be your Best Friend Forever.

Archived