IGNORED

Erin & Chad are offical...

silverspoons

Is there such thing as an attractive, modest bridesmaid dress?

There definitely are. I'm not a big fan of showing much skin, so as I search Pinterest to plan my nonexistent wedding, I always tend to find the "modest" online dress shops, and there are plenty, both wedding and bridesmaid dresses, that are beautiful. I think that the problem is that most fundie brides have so many bridesmaids that it would be super expensive to buy them, or they don't have enough time between engagement and the wedding to have them properly fitted, or they're just shoddily made by SAHD seamstresses. For good examples, look at latterdaybride.com- many of the bridesmaid dresses are very trendy and modern.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, exactly... there are plenty of beautiful modest dresses out there, but if you're going to have 14 bridesmaids and you're trying to plan your wedding in two months, they're probably going to be out of your budget and time limit.

It takes about 60 days to get even bridesmaid dresses after the order is placed at most places that I've visited and then they need to be fitted. That means they'd need a close to four month lead time which is long for most of the fundies. I think the price is probably greater than their budget also.

I think, with some assistance with cutting and odds and ends, Michael probably could get the dresses done. The dresses she's made in the past have been pretty nice, from a general design view.

It's the fabric choices that are problematic. She chooses the ugliest fabrics for the girls' dresses.

The problem is that fundies always choose cheap ass poly-satin because it is inexpensive and looks "fancy" but it is difficult to sew with and usually looks like shit. I anticipate that the Bates will follow suit on this.

mqcjzc1290491888458.jpg

barring the design at the front, something similar to this would be okay (just under the knee, of course)

It takes about 60 days to get even bridesmaid dresses after the order is placed at most places that I've visited and then they need to be fitted. That means they'd need a close to four month lead time which is long for most of the fundies. I think the price is probably greater than their budget also.

Anna got her bridemaids dress completed in 60 days, but had to work around the clock. Whew.

Yep, exactly... there are plenty of beautiful modest dresses out there, but if you're going to have 14 bridesmaids and you're trying to plan your wedding in two months, they're probably going to be out of your budget and time limit.

1f the 14 are all sahd, they could just each whip up their own bridesmaid dresses and have 6 or 7 weeks to spare.

The problem is that fundies always choose cheap ass poly-satin because it is inexpensive and looks "fancy" but it is difficult to sew with and usually looks like shit. I anticipate that the Bates will follow suit on this.

That's one thing I notice with bridesmaids dresses at a lot of fundie weddings. They usually have modest but plain poly satin dress that really doesn't lay right, shows every wrinkle, and the only variation is the color. I also wonder if the color is chosen based on what is available for purchase immediately for a bunch of dresses that have to be done in a very short time frame. So if lime green is available but the pink color you really want is not, has to be special ordered, with a lead time of a few weeks, and you have only two months to get these dresses done, then lime green it is.

I know we are all wondering and predicting what the wedding will be like, but I hope they splurge on the honeymoon. After all it will be the first time they are able to be completely alone and lets face it time alone is going to last less then 6 months.

Hoping the wedding will either have its own special or be on the Duggars' show.

I'm sure they wouldn't miss the chance to show Smuggar shoving his tongue down Anna's throat in every wedding photo possible.

Erin's hair has (to me) always given her a slightly dated look. Not quite '70s, not quite '80s, but somewhere in between. I picture her in a similarly dated wedding gown.

Erin looks like Tammy Wynette circa 1970.

I am more excited about this wedding than an actual wedding I am attending next month. Now THAT is sad. But oh, I can't wait to see her dress, the bridesmaids, the Duggar's girls envious faces....and the hair!

I also live in hope Erin will start a blog ;)

I am more excited about this wedding than an actual wedding I am attending next month. Now THAT is sad. But oh, I can't wait to see her dress, the bridesmaids, the Duggar's girls envious faces....and the hair!

I also live in hope Erin will start a blog ;)

Yes those Duggar girls will be green with envy!!!

That's one thing I notice with bridesmaids dresses at a lot of fundie weddings. They usually have modest but plain poly satin dress that really doesn't lay right, shows every wrinkle, and the only variation is the color. I also wonder if the color is chosen based on what is available for purchase immediately for a bunch of dresses that have to be done in a very short time frame. So if lime green is available but the pink color you really want is not, has to be special ordered, with a lead time of a few weeks, and you have only two months to get these dresses done, then lime green it is.

If TLC is involved with the wedding then maybe they'll get help with the dresses.

The texting thing shows complete lack of trust. Kelly and Gil could at least say" we think you can handle it own your own. You are adults." It's like they aren't considered adults until marriage. This happens in the secular world except not as extreme. Maybe it's me but for some reason it seems married folk are treated with more admiration and respect. Single folk are treated as if they were Peter Pan refusing to grow up. I have more respect for someone who chooses their own path.

Yes.I don't know why they think single ppl are wild and married ppl are the only ones who can be trusted enough to be responsible.

I think if someone is truly not to be trusted single,then getting married is not going to change that all of the sudden.They may even use it as a cover to be someone totally untrustworthy,if that's who they are anyway.

Because married ppl have been admitted to the super special club that does sexy times.

Seriously though, I think it's an extention if the purity culture: virginity equals innocence and innocence equals childhood.

It's because Gothard has embedded in these parents' mind the dangers of leaving your courting children unchaperoned. It wouldn't surprise me if he tells them "Remember when you and your spouse were 'dating' and the temptations that arose because of being left alone? Yeah, nothing happened but what if it did?! Do you want your children to go through that? Accountability is the key to a successful courtship!"

Kelly has said that they remained pure until marriage but I'm sure hearing Gothard preach made them realize that they didn't want their children to give into temptation. This whole "chaperon" thing is like saying "Yes, we trust our children to make right decisions but just to be sure that they are, we'll have chaperons to make sure of it". That's not trusting your children, whatsoever. In their eyes, losing your virginity = divorce, which is not true at all. I applaud those who refrain from sex until marriage but that doesn't mean that if you don't, you have no chance in having a successful marriage.

What I still don't understand is why she feels the need to have an "accountability" app on their phones to read through the texts yet it's perfectly okay to give your children privacy to talk face to face. If you're going to read through your children's texts then you should sit with them at a table, listening in on their conversations "for accountability" purposes. It's such stupidity.

With that said, I do think Chad and Erin do love each other. I definitely don't see them leaving IBLP behind any time soon since they're both so heavily indoctrinated in it but who knows what will happen. If they're aiming for a October/November wedding, I give them by the end of the year to announce baby #1.

They seem really happy together, but I worry that Erin will lose her dream of teaching music and doing anything other than children if they stay in this movement. Chad is nice though!

I'm happy that Chad and Erin are happy, but like a lot of popular young fundy couples (and I'm including fundy-lite and even the conservative side of evangelicals in general), they're making the mistake of conflating what's good for them as good for everyone. If you truly love your husband, and you both have marketable skills that don't require college, and you actually do want a huge family, and are used to living a simple life, and aren't a particularly quiet or private person, then yes, you might actually be happy living smack dab in the middle of Gothardism. But their happiness in no way lends credibility to their cult. If they had met any other place, they would be just as happy and compatible. If you *don't* fit one or more of that list of criteria, you will be varying degrees of unhappy. My philosophy still includes room for the happiness of Chad and Erin, but theirs does not do the same for me.

Archived