IGNORED

In other Maxwell news...

Brittany15

I would almost buy that Sarah is happy due to fear of the sinful world outside the Maxhell walls and general ignorance about what she is actually missing out on, EXCEPT for that one interview she did on another fundie girl's blog. I don't remember the site or link, but she talked about how in her early 20's she spent a lot of time being sad and wishing she were married and had a family. But then SteveO showed her how she was being sinful by not joyfully accepting the Lord's perfect timing and plan for her. So she committed herself to being happy during this time in her life because there was nothing she could do but wait on the Lord's timing for her. And there was something about how she now knows she may always be single and just meant to be Auntie Sarah and if that was what God wanted for her, then she would be happy.

So any "happiness" Sarah has is just her deluding herself into feeling that way out of some crazy fear that to feel otherwise is a sin.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone notice that Maxwell's blog was altered for a while today? it's back to "normal" now, but earlier there were some brightly colored swirls or circles at the top and no side bar. Someone is messin with them...Could it possibly be SATAN????

Did anyone notice that Maxwell's blog was altered for a while today? it's back to "normal" now, but earlier there were some brightly colored swirls or circles at the top and no side bar. Someone is messin with them...Could it possibly be SATAN????

More shenanigans!

When are we going to hear the story of what happened last Sunday?????????????????? They promised and have not delivered. Lying is a sin!

get this. . i'm sitting out in front of their house. i was passing by leavenworth and couldn't resist. i thought they'd be further out of town but no. nice neighborhood. pretty average and looks lovely. good old uriah is in the drive and the front door is soaped with "happy birthday daddy". now back to your regularly scheduled program

After cleanup, we moved into the living room. That room turns into quite the center of activity

It's not anywhere that you can find such stimulating prose.

A blow-by-blow of cleaning my washing machine would be more interesting than most of their posts.

You have to WORK to be THIS DULL! :geek:

I am way behind. But seriously Jesus' girl. I mean it is technically correct, but it is one of the things that make me crazy. When something is plural and ends in an S it makes sense to use the apostrophe after it. But it doesn't when it is singular. Jesus's girl is how it would sound as well. (and is correct...this is a battle I had when my son was in lower grade school. his name ends in S and the teacher would correct it and say it is not correct grammar. It is. Both are correct but Jesus's is preferred. Exceptions are usually in whether the extra s would be silent and for like corporations, etc.)

Jesus would have the extra S.

Really? My teachers always said that Jesus, Moses, and ancient Greek names are the exceptions. So Thomas's bike and Iris's cup, but Jesus' girl, Moses' beard, and Sophocles' plays.

Steve has acknowledged Rebecca K!

Rebecca K. on August 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

Another fun party to see. The little girls are so cute and their dresses are pretty. Glad you had a wonderful party. Happy birthday, Mr. Maxwell. God bless you!

Rebecca K.

>>>>>>>>

Thank you. My regards to your father.

I wonder how he knows that her father's been sick. Does he read her blog??

Steve has acknowledged Rebecca K!

Rebecca K. on August 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

Another fun party to see. The little girls are so cute and their dresses are pretty. Glad you had a wonderful party. Happy birthday, Mr. Maxwell. God bless you!

Rebecca K.

>>>>>>>>

Thank you. My regards to your father.

I wonder how he knows that her father's been sick. Does he read her blog??

And hey, Stevie -- how 'bout "My regards to your father and your family". And, if he really wanted to give her father his regards, wouldn't he just do so personally rather than on his own blog? Ugh.

Really? My teachers always said that Jesus, Moses, and ancient Greek names are the exceptions. So Thomas's bike and Iris's cup, but Jesus' girl, Moses' beard, and Sophocles' plays.

I both are correct. But do you really think the maxwells use hart's rules or just don't teach it correctly?

I both are correct. But do you really think the maxwells use hart's rules or just don't teach it correctly?

This must be variable by area, because we would have been docked marks in school for saying "Jesus's" -- or, for that matter, "Thomas's". It's also an odd mistake to make just from not teaching things correctly, since ending with just an apostrophe is an exception to the general rule. I think it's unlikely that they'd hit on an unusual but grammatically correct formation just by chance -- and more feasible that Teri learned the same rules I did, or the same rules VodouDoll did, and passed them on.

This must be variable by area, because we would have been docked marks in school for saying "Jesus's" -- or, for that matter, "Thomas's". It's also an odd mistake to make just from not teaching things correctly, since ending with just an apostrophe is an exception to the general rule. I think it's unlikely that they'd hit on an unusual but grammatically correct formation just by chance -- and more feasible that Teri learned the same rules I did, or the same rules VodouDoll did, and passed them on.

Yes, teachers often teach this, but it isn't correct. In fact the only time I ever battled a teacher is when she marked off for Thomas's (my son's name).

I am not saying they aren't teaching the incorrect grammar that I find often taught, but rather they are not teaching the Hart's Rule exception to Jesus and using the expanded singular nouns ending with an s rule(which is incorrect as an expanded rule, but can be correct in some situation).

I am not a grammar freak my any stretch, but this is my pet peeve. I probably should be more troubled by the substance of Jesus' girl than and the style though.

Yes, teachers often teach this, but it isn't correct. In fact the only time I ever battled a teacher is when she marked off for Thomas's (my son's name).

I am not saying they aren't teaching the incorrect grammar that I find often taught, but rather they are not teaching the Hart's Rule exception to Jesus and using the expanded singular nouns ending with an s rule(which is incorrect as an expanded rule, but can be correct in some situation).

I am not a grammar freak my any stretch, but this is my pet peeve. I probably should be more troubled by the substance of Jesus' girl than and the style though.

When I said "We would have been docked marks at school" I was referring to grammar and copy-editing classes at a fairly reputable university. Having Googled, I've learned that this style is promoted by newspapers (for brevity), and also more accepted as a correct alternative in British, as opposed to American, English. That would explain why I learned it the way I did (in grammar classes designed for aspiring journalists, in Canada), but perhaps not Teri. Still, it seems unlikely to impede communication.

I do understand having pet peeves though. I tend to be a descriptivist these days, so grammatical errors bother me much less than they used to, but it took a long time for me to suppress the cry of "wrong!" about certain things. Some things were like the proverbial nails on chalkboard! :D

When I meant it isn't correct I meant that unless a class is instructed to use only one style guide it is incorrect. In other words, my son's third grade class? Yeah, they didn't use a style guide so any of the reputable ones should be acceptable. I have a problem with a proper version being marked wrong.

And it exists as my pet peeve because I have a son named Thomas. :)

get this. . i'm sitting out in front of their house. i was passing by leavenworth and couldn't resist. i thought they'd be further out of town but no. nice neighborhood. pretty average and looks lovely. good old uriah is in the drive and the front door is soaped with "happy birthday daddy". now back to your regularly scheduled program

And that is not creepy at all.....

Sorry for the delay - I've been away for work. Guess what arrived in the mail while I was away? Yes! We have a FJ copy of Making Great Conversationalists. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I will start reading tonight and summerise it for you as I go. Just as a taster, here is the first paragraph of the preface;

This book was conceived after many discussions our family had in the past ten years about the difficulty of having meaningful conversations with others. We realized this was because of a lack of conversation skills on the part of others. Additionally, a family told us they would love a resource they could use to teach their children the conversation skills they observed in our children. Finally, we had the direction of the Lord Jesus on our hearts that this was indeed the next writing project we should undertake.

Love the idea that it was lack of skills in others that made it difficult for the Maxwells to hold conversations. :cracking-up: :cracking-up:

Sorry for the delay - I've been away for work. Guess what arrived in the mail while I was away? Yes! We have a FJ copy of Making Great Conversationalists. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I will start reading tonight and summerise it for you as I go. Just as a taster, here is the first paragraph of the preface;

Love the idea that it was lack of skills in others that made it difficult for the Maxwells to hold conversations. :cracking-up: :cracking-up:

For every ONE finger pointing at others, FOUR are pointing at you....

This book was conceived after many discussions our family had in the past ten years about the difficulty of having meaningful conversations with others. We realized this was because of a lack of conversation skills on the part of others. Additionally, a family told us they would love a resource they could use to teach their children the conversation skills they observed in our children. Finally, we had the direction of the Lord Jesus on our hearts that this was indeed the next writing project we should undertake.

Lol, theres only one constant in that situation, and that is the Maxwells, so obviously it is their fault not everyone elses.

They cant have conversations with others because they are weird, even by fundie standards.

What would you talk about with a Maxwell? They dont read newspapers or keep up with world events, they dont watch TV, or movies, or listen to music, or watch sports, or read books that arent their own or the Bible, they dont have hobbies. It would be awkwardly talking about the weather followed by a long silence then them preaching at you. Its like trying to talk to someone who has lived in a cave for 30 years, although even they would have something to talk about.

What is your favourite book of the bible...er no you can't have favourites because they are all from God.....er ok, what is your favourite food...er no, liking food leads to gluttony. Ok, er hobbies...no, cause that leads to fun which is distracting you from God's purpose....er....er....awful weather we are having....no of course we should be content with whatever God sends....yeah absolutely....um yeah...

Maybe you could talk about cooking? But no recipes with alcohol. Or that taste good.

But how to decide which foods are safe to talk about when you're not allowed an opinion on their taste? Best to ask Dad, really.

But how to decide which foods are safe to talk about when you're not allowed an opinion on their taste? Best to ask Dad, really.

Cooking could easily become an idol if you enjoy talking about it too much. Humans are naturally dependent on food, but if you make it taste to good or if there is too much variety, it becomes an idol. Duh.

You could always compare notes on the best way to wipe down ceiling fans. Conversations about the optimum frequency for wiping down the doors on your kitchen cupboards might also be acceptable.

Archived