IGNORED

In other Maxwell news...

Brittany15

Yummmmmm, brussels sprouts. I cook mine in chicken or veggie broth. Delish! We buy them on the stock from the local farmer's market when they are in season.

I roast mine with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a bit of smoked paprika. The best part is when the looser leaves fall off and turn into these crispy brown bits you can use as a garnish for the rest of the sprouts. Yum!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Maxwells have recipes on their website. There are multiple recipes for tortillas and burritos (a shock, I know), as well as the oft-mentioned smoothies, granola, yogurt, potpies, a chicken casserole, and granola bars. There are *gasp* some recipes for sweet things, like cookies and pies, but they're allowed to have them because it's in the Bible (Proverbs 24:13, for example-- yes, they quote the Bible to justify their meal choices). Not very exciting stuff, but not totally barf-inducing like, say, chickenetti.

I'm having pizza for dinner. Wonder what Steve the Bible would say about that? I have a feeling Steve would say that pizza is a tool of Satan, designed to lure me into drinking beer and dancing afterwards, and resulting in DEATH.

I always found it strange that a family as white bread and vanilla as the Maxwells make burritos and enchiladas. Not only that, they make them without boxed mixes and if memory serves even make the tortillas from scratch. My best guess is that those meal choices represent Stehovah's weakness for Tex/Mex. While it's always nice when people get out of their comfort zones and branch out into different cuisines, in the case of the Maxwells it is Steve's, and only Steve's, dietary preferences that matter. Those dishes would be considered an idol, or whoring after foreign gods, if any other member of the family wanted them.

I always found it strange that a family as white bread and vanilla as the Maxwells make burritos and enchiladas. Not only that, they make them without boxed mixes and if memory serves even make the tortillas from scratch. My best guess is that those meal choices represent Stehovah's weakness for Tex/Mex. While it's always nice when people get out of their comfort zones and branch out into different cuisines, in the case of the Maxwells it is Steve's, and only Steve's, dietary preferences that matter. Those dishes would be considered an idol, or whoring after foreign gods, if any other member of the family wanted them.

I think their Tex-Mex versions of foods tend to be on the blander side. What, you think Steve would allow Satan's spices to inflame the appetites and passions of his children?

I was thinking of sending them a nice cookbook of Yemeni recipes, so they can offer hospitality to their new Internet friends next time they commandeer the Maxwell website drop by.

Yummmmmm, brussels sprouts. I cook mine in chicken or veggie broth. Delish! We buy them on the stock from the local farmer's market when they are in season.

Oh, they are wonderful with chicken broth yes - for me, I'm having them with the roast chicken, so cut it in half and just kinda smear it around in the sauce from the chicken, it's excellent :)

It just always makes me smile, so often in fiction brussels sprouts and broccoli are presented as some foods surely everyone hates, but they are among my favorites. Maybe my tongue is off, or something, but... not complaining, I got lucky to actually like some foods that are good for ya.

I did not start eating brussels sprouts until about 2 years ago...I seem to have a memory of calling my mother and saying something to the effect of "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU EVER FEED ME THESE GLORIOUS NUGGETS OF GOODNESS?!?"

Roasted in the oven with olive oil - yum, yum, YUM.

We love them here too. The other day I made some broccoli roasted with soy sauce and when I took the pan out of the oven my 16 month old reacted like the Beatles had just shown up in our kitchen. Squealing and clapping and grinning her little face off. She was devastated when we made her wait a bit until they cooled. If Steve doesn't crave sprouts and broccoli and carrots he just hasn't had them prepared correctly.

Brussels sprouts were my favourite when I was a kid. I love broccoli, too. :)

Count me in as another person who prefers savory over sweet. I rarely have dessert and when I do, I'd rather have something tart. When it comes to something like chocolate, I can totally take it or leave it, usually leave it. I'd rather have cheese and bread (I'm a serious hobbyist bread baker) over ice cream or cake any day. And guess what, Stevie? I actually DO crave things like salads and brussels sprouts. So there.

No sweets here either. I love sour and tart. In an apple I want one that is tart and very, very hard. Steve mentioned no one lusts after carrots. Wrong, I can eat raw carrots all day long. I'll take good bread any day over ice cream. And cheese and crackers, yum, yum. I don't mind an occasional piece of expensive dark chocolate but otherwise I pass on chocolate.

The Maxwells have recipes on their website. There are multiple recipes for tortillas and burritos (a shock, I know), as well as the oft-mentioned smoothies, granola, yogurt, potpies, a chicken casserole, and granola bars. There are *gasp* some recipes for sweet things, like cookies and pies, but they're allowed to have them because it's in the Bible (Proverbs 24:13, for example-- yes, they quote the Bible to justify their meal choices). Not very exciting stuff, but not totally barf-inducing like, say, chickenetti.

I'm having pizza for dinner. Wonder what Steve the Bible would say about that? I have a feeling Steve would say that pizza is a tool of Satan, designed to lure me into drinking beer and dancing afterwards, and resulting in DEATH.

You are allowed to have pizza, but your headship is the only one who can order it. If he forgets you cannot remind him, but you can pray that The Lord puts it on his heart to call for the pizza.

A bit off-topic, but I went back on their blog to almost a year ago when the big wedding-cancellation happened, and it's still there! As well as the comments on the post below of Joseph's house construction. Interesting.......I guess after almost a year, they "forget about it"? Or pretend to? Well, I always say at least a year between relationships is best, for healing and re-evaluation. So, Joseph soon should be ready to get into a new relationship if one is available. But, time will tell just how possible that is in light of it all.

Post the link! I cannot find!

Count me in as another person who prefers savory over sweet. I rarely have dessert and when I do, I'd rather have something tart. When it comes to something like chocolate, I can totally take it or leave it, usually leave it. I'd rather have cheese and bread (I'm a serious hobbyist bread baker) over ice cream or cake any day. And guess what, Stevie? I actually DO crave things like salads and brussels sprouts. So there.

I am sitting on the couch eating a bag of baby carrots. Cravable!

I was amazed that given the Maxwells' love of "Mexican" food that when they were in Calif that they didn't stop at a family owned Mexican place. They are very reasonable in price and very tasty but then this food might be a bit too spicy for the Maxwells's palate.

All hail to broccoli! We love it here. And asparagus -- YUM.

All praise asparagus. Snapped from the ground and eaten straight away. Perfection. Never been into Brussels but I've never tried them roasted. I'm going to try out some of the suggestions on here as MrMiggy loves them and it would be great to find a way to cook them that I would enjoy too.

Does Steve not understand that you can love more than one type of food? I love chocolate ... and rice. And, as an educated, self disciplined adult I choose to eat rice every day but chocolate only occasionally. No, I guess Steve doesn't understand this because he can't do this and anything he can't do is not possible.

They had a blog post a few years ago when they came back home from one of their sales ministry trips and noticed how much their garden veggies had grown during their absence. They had quite a lot of beautiful jalopenos and said something along the lines "We like it spicy!". I'm sure those evil sinful chillies have been declared as idols by now.

They had a blog post a few years ago when they came back home from one of their sales ministry trips and noticed how much their garden veggies had grown during their absence. They had quite a lot of beautiful jalopenos and said something along the lines "We like it spicy!". I'm sure those evil sinful chillies have been declared as idols by now.

Really? I've never seen them have a gardening post and always wondered why they don't garden. Seems like a sef-sufficient family like that with so many members would be able to pull off an awesome garden and if they were doing it, they'd actually blog about it (but then, that would make them interesting, and we can't have any of that). I wonder if they just have a few things in pots or something.

Really? I've never seen them have a gardening post and always wondered why they don't garden. Seems like a sef-sufficient family like that with so many members would be able to pull off an awesome garden and if they were doing it, they'd actually blog about it (but then, that would make them interesting, and we can't have any of that). I wonder if they just have a few things in pots or something.

Hmmm, I always thought their garden was just an expanse of lawn and that 'aunties park' with the non reversal boys and Teri's mum's garden all knocked into one compound.

I sort of admire their healthy eating habits as a personal trainer myself. But in my view it is ok to have the odd unhealthy treat. But like everything in the Maxwell House healthy eating has become an idol. So when they have a 'party' it's one strawberry each and a peanut butter bite. Something very different to what I call a party!

Well, it looks like they do, or did garden since the most recent post I could find is from 2008. Seems like pretty basic stuff but even so I would imagine that another family member has to be responsible for upkeep when the main family is away. Even basic gardens don't tend themselves without some help, even if you've got an automatic watering system in place.

blog.titus2.com/2006/10/07/catchin-up/

blog.titus2.com/2008/10/31/settling-back-into-home-life/

Parties for my family and friends include people they don't actually see every second of the day. Friends, siblings, non-offspring family members, aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, co-workers.

My mom's 60th surprise party included more than 80 people. Of course, she only lives with her husband and that is the only person she has lived with for 30 years, since the kids became adults and got their own lives. She spent her birthday party sharing stories and experiences with 60 years worth of people.

The Maxwells make me so damn sad. They have no clue what life is about or how great it can be.

Broccoli, asparagus and Brussels sprouts. Should they be steamed, baked or fried? Salt, pepper and/or butter? So many choices, all of which I am sure the Maxwells, other than Steve, do not have.

I doubt the Maxwells are allowed to even get a snack when hungry. I wonder if meals are only allowed if everyone is joining in. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve has a timer or lock on the fridge. I would bet that if on burrito day someone said they will just have a sandwich, all hell would break loose. I wonder what the punishment would be for not finishing all three of your blueberries.

Anyone ever see them post about eating at a restaurant? I wonder if they only eat food from Uriah on the road. Would Steve even allow them to choose their own entree at a restaurant? Probably not. I am sure they would just have a side salad, no dressing and half of a cherry tomato. Croutons are probably too worldly.

Broccoli, asparagus and Brussels sprouts. Should they be steamed, baked or fried? Salt, pepper and/or butter? So many choices, all of which I am sure the Maxwells, other than Steve, do not have.

I doubt the Maxwells are allowed to even get a snack when hungry. I wonder if meals are only allowed if everyone is joining in. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve has a timer or lock on the fridge. I would bet that if on burrito day someone said they will just have a sandwich, all hell would break loose. I wonder what the punishment would be for not finishing all three of your blueberries.

Anyone ever see them post about eating at a restaurant? I wonder if they only eat food from Uriah on the road. Would Steve even allow them to choose their own entree at a restaurant? Probably not. I am sure they would just have a side salad, no dressing and half of a cherry tomato. Croutons are probably too worldly.

They have been known to eat at Chick-Fil-A (you know, because they are owned by Christians and stand firm against the evil gay people) and they sometimes also go to Olive Garden. Most of the time if they eat at restaurants it is the result of one of their followers being generous and footing the bill and/or giving them gift cards. IIRC, Anna spent a birthday on the road and a conference attendee gifted her with an Olive Garden gift card that she later had to use to take her family to dinner. Happy Birthday, Anna! NOT.

In honor of this thread, I just roasted broccoli in grapeseed oil and zatar seasoning (thyme, ground sumac, sesame seeds, salt) and chowed it for lunch. YUM.

Archived