IGNORED

Schwandt Family-13th Baby is also a boy! MERGED

0 kids n not countin

They said they'd be shocked if the baby is a girl.

"The odds are not in our favor," Kateri Schwandt, 40, told The Grand Rapids Press ( http://bit.ly/1caghwk )

I hope she's not homeschooling her children in statistics and probability. She clearly doesn't understand how it works. Unless there is an actual, biological reason preventing her from having female children, the odds are 50:50 (or near enough), just the same as everyone else.

From the outset, the chances of having 13 babies of the same sex are pretty damn low.(0.5)13 But for every individual pregnancy, the probability is 0.5. The pregnancies are all discrete events that have no impact on the chances of conceiving a male or female embryo next time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get technical ... it's not actually 50/50. More boys are conceived than girls but boys are more likely to be miscarried. More boys are born but boys are more likely to die as young children. The numbers are 50/50 at seven years of age. After that point, there are more girls. Of course, none of that is important here but I just felt the need to show off.

I hope she's not homeschooling her children in statistics and probability. She clearly doesn't understand how it works. Unless there is an actual, biological reason preventing her from having female children, the odds are 50:50 (or near enough), just the same as everyone else.

From the outset, the chances of having 13 babies of the same sex are pretty damn low.(0.5)13 But for every individual pregnancy, the probability is 0.5. The pregnancies are all discrete events that have no impact on the chances of conceiving a male or female embryo next time.

It could have something to do with what she eats:

http://www.rbmojournal.com/article/S147 ... 3/abstract

(This article explains how to improve the chances of having a female baby, but I'd guess there'd be "nutrition" to increase the chances of having a male baby as well.)

It could have something to do with what she eats:

http://www.rbmojournal.com/article/S147 ... 3/abstract

(This article explains how to improve the chances of having a female baby, but I'd guess there'd be "nutrition" to increase the chances of having a male baby as well.)

There are lot of methods of ensuring one gender or another, but none come up to real scientific scrutiny. The sample size in that article is ridiculously small for something like this and I would bet if I read the study in more depth I'd find more issues.

My grandmother had 7 girls and 2 boys. You might think that meant she had a genetic predisposition to girls. Well, her daughters have been about even with girls and boys; female-line in particular her female line granddaughters, have had a lot of boys - 3 girls to 11 boys so far.

So, genetics wasn't at play with my grandma - just chance. Statistically, with a small sample size, it's not unusual for one gender to dominate for a long time.

I've seen them before. I don't think they r homeschooled. I couldn't be wrong though.

They attend my sister's church. They are a big Catholic family. They are pretty normal and in the community, etc. Like you I am pretty sure the kids are not home schooled. I am not sure if the kids attend the public or the Catholic School attached to their church (K-8 school). Rockford has one of the best public schools in the state. If the kids attend Catholic School K-8 they would either transfer to the public school for HS or into downtown Grand Rapids for Catholic HS.

I'll ask my sister if she knows what the kids do for school. She has mentioned them before and said they are a normal family. They are the largest in the parish but there are several other families that have 6 or 7 kids.

* edit for an update - They don't homeschool, the K-8 kids go to Catholic school. 9-12 go to public school.

There was a family on the Today show a couple of years ago that had 16 boys and the mom was pregnant with her 17th. It was another boy. I think I remember the woman saying her sister also had 16 boys.

Populations are so large, statistically weird things like this pop up.

There are lot of methods of ensuring one gender or another, but none come up to real scientific scrutiny. The sample size in that article is ridiculously small for something like this and I would bet if I read the study in more depth I'd find more issues.

My grandmother had 7 girls and 2 boys. You might think that meant she had a genetic predisposition to girls. Well, her daughters have been about even with girls and boys; female-line in particular her female line granddaughters, have had a lot of boys - 3 girls to 11 boys so far.

So, genetics wasn't at play with my grandma - just chance. Statistically, with a small sample size, it's not unusual for one gender to dominate for a long time.

Since the sex is determined by the XX or the XY chromosome - a woman's genetics would have little to do with it. Y is provided by the man.

Sorry for starting the redundant thread -- I looked for one about them first, but clearly not hard enough :embarrassed:

Sorry for starting the redundant thread -- I looked for one about them first, but clearly not hard enough :embarrassed:

but this time we have confirmation that the family does not homeschool and after Catholic school the kids go to public school!

They seem to be just a big family. I bet the kids are like any other Christian kid in public school just with A LOT of brothers!

They attend my sister's church. They are a big Catholic family. They are pretty normal and in the community, etc. Like you I am pretty sure the kids are not home schooled. I am not sure if the kids attend the public or the Catholic School attached to their church (K-8 school). Rockford has one of the best public schools in the state. If the kids attend Catholic School K-8 they would either transfer to the public school for HS or into downtown Grand Rapids for Catholic HS.

I'll ask my sister if she knows what the kids do for school. She has mentioned them before and said they are a normal family. They are the largest in the parish but there are several other families that have 6 or 7 kids.

* edit for an update - They don't homeschool, the K-8 kids go to Catholic school. 9-12 go to public school.

Thanks so much for this information. I thought they were Catholic. I remember reading it somewhere!

Since the sex is determined by the XX or the XY chromosome - a woman's genetics would have little to do with it. Y is provided by the man.

There are a lot of girls in my family, during my last pregnancy I joked with the doctor that we killed Y chromosomes in my family. She said that there has been lots of studies recently about this. Things like acidity and temp of the uterus (or something like that) can affect what sperm makes it.

So what if it's another boy? Will they keep trying? I know some parents might want one gender over the other. My brother was disappointed that he only had girls. He cried in the delivery room when the doctor told him it was another girl. He really wanted a boy. But I just don't understand the disappointment or why keep having kids hoping for a specific gender.

So what if it's another boy? Will they keep trying? I know some parents might want one gender over the other. My brother was disappointed that he only had girls. He cried in the delivery room when the doctor told him it was another girl. He really wanted a boy. But I just don't understand the disappointment or why keep having kids hoping for a specific gender.

Well, it does happen. Enough that it's been studied, and it is nominally called gender disappointment. Unfortunately, there is a lot of judgment behind it, such that those that suffer from it don't talk about it. Not talking about it, like everything else, makes it more likely there will be further consequences.

I suffered from it when I found out I was having a boy. I had really wanted a girl - for a host of reasons I won't go into here. I cried a lot and just felt horribly depressed. But I talked it out with a therapist, exploring the reasons I wanted a girl over a boy, and I had a husband who was very supportive. I accepted having a boy, and now I have a hard time imagining have a girl. I love my son and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.

But I feel for those parents that don't work through their feelings, because, from what I've read, it can have an adverse affect on how they raise their children.

It's not the feelings themselves that are the problem, but not working through them that is.

Oh yes they should definitely keep trying for a girl. Because being one girl surrounded by fundie male brothers has been so emotionally healthy for Wizzie Arndt.

At least with all those boys, Wizzie has a bunch of people to choose between. I've lost hope any of the boys will get married, and wonder if any of them even *want* to.

Well, it does happen. Enough that it's been studied, and it is nominally called gender disappointment. Unfortunately, there is a lot of judgment behind it, such that those that suffer from it don't talk about it. Not talking about it, like everything else, makes it more likely there will be further consequences.

I suffered from it when I found out I was having a boy. I had really wanted a girl - for a host of reasons I won't go into here. I cried a lot and just felt horribly depressed. But I talked it out with a therapist, exploring the reasons I wanted a girl over a boy, and I had a husband who was very supportive. I accepted having a boy, and now I have a hard time imagining have a girl. I love my son and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.

But I feel for those parents that don't work through their feelings, because, from what I've read, it can have an adverse affect on how they raise their children.

It's not the feelings themselves that are the problem, but not working through them that is.

Thank you for sharing. I am glad you are honest about it. I imagine I would feel ashamed to admit that and be less likely to seek help. I never read to much into it when I have heard people expressed they wanted a girl when they were having a boy or vice versa. I don't think it means you wont love what you have. I have four kids three are girls. while two kids seem to take after their father and two seem to have similar personality traits to me they are all completely different, with a wide variety of interests. It amazes me.

I do get annoyed when people make comments like "Oh, you finally got a boy!" since my last is a boy.

Does anyone know what the father does for a living.

making knockoff youtube videos??

I do get annoyed when people make comments like "Oh, you finally got a boy!" since my last is a boy.

I think a lot of people think every family should have one boy and one girl. I had a boy and a girl and would always get told how wonderful, lucky and perfect it was when people found out we were having a girl with our second pregnancy. I'm now pregnant again and when I'm out with just my daughter and people find out I'm expecting another girl their responses are never as enthusiastic or excited since they don't realize I also have a son and think I'll just have two girls.

I had a girl and then a boy, when I was pregnant with my third, I got a lot of surprised reactions. As in, "Why have another? You already have one of each." I wanted 3 or 4 kids, it wasn't about the gender. I know so many all boy or all girl moms who are bugged all the time about having "just one more" to go for the opposite gender. Ugh.

Yes, they have been discussed. Here is the thread. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18751&p=936042&hilit=rockford#p936042

We have determined- they are not fundie but are Catholic and apparently obey the no BC rule that a lot of Catholics ignore :) . The kids go to the local Catholic school K-8 and then go to the public HS. The local Catholic school only goes to 8th grade. They seem like a normal (but large) family.

I was wondering if she had the baby. Thanks for the update. I was really hoping they would have a girl!

In response to the saint and conception/gender comments: this is what I love about FJ. We're all united in our interest in fundies (that, at least for me, no one that I know understands :lol: ), but there's such a wealth of knowledge here. People come from all walks of life and are able to have intelligent, thought-provoking and (mostly) polite discussions. I learn a lot here; and sometimes I learn about things I didn't want to learn about! :wink-kitty:

In response to this family: that really fascinates me. Families with a large number of children fascinate me in general. It would be really interesting to me to know how many of the Duggar kids are right/left handed, how many with brown/blue eyes, etc. Anyone have a spreadsheet on that? :geek:

Both sides of my family are Catholic. One side had 7 kids, the other, 15, with pretty even spreads in sexes. I'd just assume that eventually, if you had enough, you'd end up getting a 50/50 split with the sexes.

But... if I were her, I'd definitely want a girl. I think I would have given up on that a long time ago, but I'd want a girl.

Archived