IGNORED

Maxwell Book Launch 10am cst!!1!!!

johnhugh

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve's head is going to explode sorting out the legit entries from the ones from here!

JMHO, but I don't think they will give the books to some random 1st time poster. I think they will go to leghumpers who often post or those the "know" from conferences.

Just a thought.... isn't a giveaway sort of like gambling? Drawing a name out of a hat, or using a number generator-- doesn't that make this a game of chance??? :naughty:

Steve's gonna pray over it. He's not relying on random number generation, he's relying on God's direction. (The question remains, who is this 'god' and how is he different from Steve's ego?)

This is not to say that the Maxwell children are sparkling conversationalists. I doubt anyone who's only topics are death and eternal damnation could be. However, I suspect the Maxwell children have a set of lines they speak in different situations. If anything unexpected happens, their wires gets crossed and they don't know what to do. I think this is the result of their controlled upbringing, where every second is micromanaged and everything is carefully controlled.

Then again, there's something comforting about knowing what each minute of your life will be like. I think Steve and Teri enjoy this security and created a controlled environment for their children thinking it will protect them from a lifetime of disappointments and heartaches. To some extent, it does. However, that's because they never let their children mature and become adults, so they never deal with adult situations or live in the "real world". Anna and her siblings will someday be cast out on their own (to some extent). Whether it's due to parental death, marriage or rebellion, they will find out the world is far larger and unpredictable than they ever imagined. And that scheduling and isolation from the world does not make their problems go away. When that day comes, I want a Maxwell children to write all about their experiences!

Just want to comment on this part. Reading about first-hand accounts of Maxwell conferences and conversations with this family, particularly with the kids, really has me concerned about how life must be hell to live in their house. It sounds controlling beyond I would think possible and I can get it to some extent because there are similiarities between Steve and Teri and my own parents though luckily it wasn't as extreme (it still caused huge problems though and I wanted out by the time I was in high school).

In full agreement that Steve and Teri want the the certainty and security; it also makes them feel special to be in this type of control. I don't know how the adult unmarried daughters in particular can cope with it.

Conversation, my ass. This book has absolutely nothing to do with creating sparkling conversationalists--you know, someone who shows a genuine interest in another person and thrives on the exchange of ideas--and everything to do with honing one's sales pitch, the point of the sale being Jesus. There's often no real purpose when people converse, no ulterior motive, and we KNOW the Maxwells never engage in anything without a purpose. I'm sure their "conversation" follows a fairly well-planned script, making sure to work in a person's name as much as possible, and following even the vaguest leads so that all roads head straight back to Jesus.

From the "testimonials" (whose, I wonder...)

"Homeschool families can often turn heads by the way they dress, by their children’s manners, and by their children’s general ability to function comfortably in various aspects of society. Now what? After that initial comment is made by the grocery store cashier, or the bank teller (“Your children are so well-behaved!†... or, “You all look so nice and polite!†... or, “How many children do you have?!?! So tell me ... what’s it really like to grow up with six brothers, Sweetie?†...), Then what will your children say? Will their communication skills follow up that first impression, to communicate Christ to a lost world? Will they be able to engage the questioner and draw their interest to the Lord by showing that they can communicate? This book will help parents teach their children to use effective communication skills to build relationships with others, to listen to and draw in those who are needing the Saviour, and to be effective communicators for Christ. A must-read for ANY parent that has a heart for their children to reach the world around them for JESUS!"

"This book will help parents teach their children to use effective communication skills to build relationships with others, to listen to and draw in those who are needing the Saviour, and to be effective communicators for Christ."

"We were encouraged by what we read and excited as to how to put into practice."

I'm not Mary, but

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2013/07/27/making-great-conversationalists-a-book-giveaway/comment-page-2/#comments

They've added 20 new approved comments. Mine is in there and if you have read the Josh Duggar social media thread lately you will get it:

Josh on July 30, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

As a dad who was once homeschooled and who is now preparing to homeschool his own three children, I think this book will be great! We often hear criticisms about the social skills of homeschoolers, but I think we learn more at our dining room table than most publicly educated kids ever will, especially about what is important – earthly service and eternal salvation. Being able to successfully discuss these things is crucial. I have the upmost respect for the Maxwell family and I can’t wait to read this book!

NotALoserLikeYou, based on speculation that Steve Maxwell reads here, you might want to delete your comment from this thread so if he does pop in, he doesn't catch on.

NotALoserLikeYou, based on speculation that Steve Maxwell reads here, you might want to delete your comment from this thread so if he does pop in, he doesn't catch on.

On the other hand, we don't know for sure, so if the comment mysteriously disappears it's another tick in the 'betcha he does read here' column....

(I'm in that camp myself, but have no evidence for it.)

Sarah just signed her update post "may you have a blessed afternoon rejoicing in Jesus". If that appeared in the comments I'd assume it was one of us mocking them, which makes me wonder how many of the competition entries are real and how many are just fantastic imitations.

May you have a blessed afternoon rejoicing in Jesus,

Patsy.

"Congratulations to Esther and Suzie AND to Fabi and Rachel. You read that right. We decided to double our contest and give away four copies of the book."

Oooooo, please let one of these Fab Four be one of us...

On the other hand, we don't know for sure, so if the comment mysteriously disappears it's another tick in the 'betcha he does read here' column....

(I'm in that camp myself, but have no evidence for it.)

The comment was never removed, but was it because Steve hasn't been reading here, or because he's trying to psych you out by pretending that he doesn't read here? Hmmmmm...

Which Rachel won? There were several. Sucking up to the entire Maxwell family + Bible references seemed to improve one's chances. I don't believe for a second that the winners were chosen randomly, as there is nothing even vaguely "random" about anything the Maxwells do.

Kudos to those of you who entered, even if Steve thinks you mocked him and now has to spend even more time praying for your salvation.

it's weird that they decided to give away more, they always seem so stingy to me

If they've already ordered a certain number printed and sales aren't that great (which they prob aren't), giving them away may make more sense than letting them sit in the Maxhell basement. At least they'd get their message out, and may be able to encourage future sales.

Kudos to those of you who entered, even if Steve thinks you mocked him and now has to spend even more time praying for your salvation.

Not to mention that he probably worries every time they have a conference that one of us will show up...... :twisted:

I don't get the bible verse they quoted in the post about the winners (casting lots). Can someone explain what it means?

I'd always assumed "casting lots" was a bad thing, akin to gambling, in fundie circles.

I don't get the bible verse they quoted in the post about the winners (casting lots). Can someone explain what it means?

I'd always assumed "casting lots" was a bad thing, akin to gambling, in fundie circles.

Probably in reference to them doing a drawing/raffle of the names, which could be seen as gambling. I doubt the innocent "draw names out of a basket" thing actually happened, however. Steve's too paranoid.

I thought "casting lots" referred to what occurred after the crucifixion when the soldiers drew lots to see who'd get Jesus' clothes. I've never heard it used, Biblically, in a positive sense.

Archived