IGNORED

Maxwell Book Launch 10am cst!!1!!!

johnhugh

This book was conceived after many discussions our family had in the past ten years about the difficulty of having meaningful conversations with others. We realized this was because of a lack of conversation skills on the part of others.

Let's see, if I turn away from a Maxwell because s/he is witnessing to me, the "lack" of conversation skills is on his/her part. If I make excuses to abruptly end a conversation with a Maxwell because s/he does not have any knowledge of current events, politics, pop culture, sports, or even an alma mater to talk up, the "lack" of conversation skills is firmly upon the shoulder of the Maxwell in question. If I roll my eyes and clam up when speaking to Steve as he dismisses my husband for not working at home, he is the problem in that equation.

The Maxwells make their own difficulty in having conversations with others.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two families. So, single college student living on her own need not apply? What if I consider my room mates to be family? (I do, ftr).

This is so not fair.

Two families. So, single college student living on her own need not apply? What if I consider my room mates to be family? (I do, ftr).

This is so not fair.

You are a heathen for being in college and not having a traditional family lifestyle. You should be married to a person of the opposite sex and have children already. Conversation skills are not important until you have achieved those two life goals. Period.

This is so not fair.

Youre not married? That means you are a child, according to Steve, therefore shouldnt be allowed to buy a book off the internet without your mommy and daddy's permission.

Sarah. Honey. Today's grammar lesson:

So, onto the fine print. This will be on the honor system, so we leave it to you.

Please change this to

So, on to [two words] the fine print. This will be on the honor system, so we leave it to you.

I made a post on page 3 that seems to have gotten buried, but I did relate my experience in conversing with both Sarah and Steve. Granted, it was nearly 8 years ago when I spoke with them, and Sarah was younger, but she did appear to me to be a little on the socially awkward side.

I've been avoiding this thread because I've been feeling Maxhelled out after our trip to NH to be un-Inspired!

Mr P and I were only there for an hour. We spoke very briefly with Steve, one of the "boys" and I had a very short conversation with Mary.

I took a moment to glance over the book table before Teri's session. I smiled at Mary and said something along the lines of "What a beautiful day!" She looked scared and said, yes. I then said: "You must be so glad to see the sun because you must have had a very rainy journey driving here." She said, yes, again, then grabbed the "Family Survey" off the table and handed it to me. She asked me to fill it out at the end of the day. It felt like a brush off and she looked nervous so I felt sorry for her and pottered on into the session. We were not there to upset or confront anyone.*

It felt odd and socially awkward that she didn't expand on the weather conversation. BTW, I am a very non-threatening looking 58 year old woman and was dressed in Maxwell approved style in the frumpiest of all my frumpy ankle length frumpers. I have the sort of face that encourages strangers to ask me for directions, to reach things off shelves in stores, and tie older people's shoe laces at bus stops! :shrug:

Regarding the book on conversation, I want to read it but don't want to pay for it! Also, this was a question on the Family Survey: How well does your family converse? (IE [sic] to sit down and enjoy talking as a family) Rate 1 - 10.

I thought it was funny that the Maxwells had to define "converse" to their flock.

* For those who disapprove of Maxhell infiltrations: We had no intention of disrupting the conference. We were, in fact, very polite. We went to see for ourselves whether Steve and the Maxwell dog and pony show was as bad as they seemed from Steve and Teri's writings and reports by others on FJ. The answer was -- definitely as bad. No, even worse than we expected!

I've been avoiding this thread because I've been feeling Maxhelled out after our trip to NH to be un-Inspired!

Mr P and I were only there for an hour. We spoke very briefly with Steve, one of the "boys" and I had a very short conversation with Mary.

I took a moment to glance over the book table before Teri's session. I smiled at Mary and said something along the lines of "What a beautiful day!" She looked scared and said, yes. I then said: "You must be so glad to see the sun because you must have had a very rainy journey driving here." She said, yes, again, then grabbed the "Family Survey" off the table and handed it to me. She asked me to fill it out at the end of the day. It felt like a brush off and she looked nervous so I felt sorry for her and pottered on into the session. We were not there to upset or confront anyone.*

It felt odd and socially awkward that she didn't expand on the weather conversation. BTW, I am a very non-threatening looking 58 year old woman and was dressed in Maxwell approved style in the frumpiest of all my frumpy ankle length frumpers. I have the sort of face that encourages strangers to ask me for directions, to reach things off shelves in stores, and tie older people's shoe laces at bus stops! :shrug:

Regarding the book on conversation, I want to read it but don't want to pay for it! Also, this was a question on the Family Survey: How well does your family converse? (IE [sic] to sit down and enjoy talking as a family) Rate 1 - 10.

I thought it was funny that the Maxwells had to define "converse" to their flock.

* For those who disapprove of Maxhell infiltrations: We had no intention of disrupting the conference. We were, in fact, very polite. We went to see for ourselves whether Steve and the Maxwell dog and pony show was as bad as they seemed from Steve and Teri's writings and reports by others on FJ. The answer was -- definitely as bad. No, even worse than we expected!

But, you see, aimlessly talking about the weather is frivolous, and of the devil, and not Stevehovah-approved! Now, if you had said "What a beautiful day! Do you know where you'll go after you die on such a sunny day?" she would have perked right up!!

(And props one more time to you and Mr. P. for your efforts in NH!)

I really want to do this, but then I am afraid they will wonder why I haven't ordered the book I absolutely have to have after I don't get it for free.

Also, this was a question on the Family Survey: How well does your family converse? (IE [sic] to sit down and enjoy talking as a family) Rate 1 - 10.

Actually, that does define it for us. We keep talking about the book in terms of conversation with people outside the family (aka, people at book tables, people being witnessed to, etc), but if the Maxwells define is as sitting and talking with family, this is just another parenting book, to create kids who will tell their parents when they're straying from God, thinking impure thoughts, etc. Most kids (especially teenagers) go through that phase of avoiding telling their parents about at least one facet of their lives, school, friends, etc, as a way of separating themselves from their families, which is natural and part of the growing up process. Steve, however, is grooming his kids to stay home forever, so of course this kind of thing is unacceptable.

Now I really want to know how Steve's process works as a mating ritual; they promise it helps with courtships.

All I can think of is the bewildered look Anna gave me when she asked what church I go to and I said I was Jewish. And this is before I had made a scene.

Trust me, I doubt they have great conversationalist skills. Asking how many kids we had and where we went to church was all she asked. Not our names, nothing.

And then when I said one, and I am Jewish she just could not recover.

I have suspected for a while that the Maxwells do not handle surprises well at all.

Now, I do believe the Maxwell children are able to converse with heathen strangers as they are taught to do so since birth. What happened with your above situation, I speculate, may not be due to shock from speaking to a Jew or non-quiverful person, but surprise at seeing one at their conference. The Maxwells live such controlled lives that they probably don't know how to react when unexpected things happens. The conferences are "suppose" to be filled with conservative, quiverful Christians. When they meet someone who isn't, the Maxwell children's programming don't know how to respond.....as the "secular program" was not installed that day.

I'm sure had you been a waitress at a restaurant, a State Fair attendee or wherever else they used to evangelize, Anna would be ready to tell you about burning in a fiery hellfire and not tongue-tied. That's because on those days, her "dealing with nonbelieving heathens" program is running.

This is not to say that the Maxwell children are sparkling conversationalists. I doubt anyone who's only topics are death and eternal damnation could be. However, I suspect the Maxwell children have a set of lines they speak in different situations. If anything unexpected happens, their wires gets crossed and they don't know what to do. I think this is the result of their controlled upbringing, where every second is micromanaged and everything is carefully controlled.

Then again, there's something comforting about knowing what each minute of your life will be like. I think Steve and Teri enjoy this security and created a controlled environment for their children thinking it will protect them from a lifetime of disappointments and heartaches. To some extent, it does. However, that's because they never let their children mature and become adults, so they never deal with adult situations or live in the "real world". Anna and her siblings will someday be cast out on their own (to some extent). Whether it's due to parental death, marriage or rebellion, they will find out the world is far larger and unpredictable than they ever imagined. And that scheduling and isolation from the world does not make their problems go away. When that day comes, I want a Maxwell children to write all about their experiences!

Anna and her siblings will someday be cast out on their own (to some extent). Whether it's due to parental death, marriage or rebellion, they will find out the world is far larger and unpredictable than they ever imagined. And that scheduling and isolation from the world does not make their problems go away. When that day comes, I want a Maxwell children to write all about their experiences!

Now THAT's a book I'd buy in an instant, even right from the source.

By reading the blog entry it looks like Stevehovah is planning on picking the two he likes best. None of this leaving it up to God/the universe/a random number generator, Steve needs to be in control at all times.

They used the word "drawing", so I'm assuming it is left up to chance, which surprises me. I assumed most fundies were against that sort of thing.

Debating whether or not to enter. I do want to read what the Maxwells have to say, as I find it hard to believe they have any actual conversational skills. Preaching at people does not constitute functional conversation, and telling people they are going to HELL would seem to be a real conversation-killer. On the other hand, Above Rubies and Doug Phillips (who is a tool) already have my email and mailing addresses; I really don't want Steve to be added to the list. Not that I expect the Maxwells to show up on my doorstep--I live in a heathen liberal area where Maxwells fear to tread--but the idea that Steve might have information on me kinda creeps me out.

Hopefully this book will turn up on Amazon, or I can try to convince a heathen friend to enter the contest for me.

I have suspected for a while that the Maxwells do not handle surprises well at all.

Now, I do believe the Maxwell children are able to converse with heathen strangers as they are taught to do so since birth. What happened with your above situation, I speculate, may not be due to shock from speaking to a Jew or non-quiverful person, but surprise at seeing one at their conference. The Maxwells live such controlled lives that they probably don't know how to react when unexpected things happens. The conferences are "suppose" to be filled with conservative, quiverful Christians. When they meet someone who isn't, the Maxwell children's programming don't know how to respond.....as the "secular program" was not installed that day.

I'm sure had you been a waitress at a restaurant, a State Fair attendee or wherever else they used to evangelize, Anna would be ready to tell you about burning in a fiery hellfire and not tongue-tied. That's because on those days, her "dealing with nonbelieving heathens" program is running.

This is not to say that the Maxwell children are sparkling conversationalists. I doubt anyone who's only topics are death and eternal damnation could be. However, I suspect the Maxwell children have a set of lines they speak in different situations. If anything unexpected happens, their wires gets crossed and they don't know what to do. I think this is the result of their controlled upbringing, where every second is micromanaged and everything is carefully controlled.

Then again, there's something comforting about knowing what each minute of your life will be like. I think Steve and Teri enjoy this security and created a controlled environment for their children thinking it will protect them from a lifetime of disappointments and heartaches. To some extent, it does. However, that's because they never let their children mature and become adults, so they never deal with adult situations or live in the "real world". Anna and her siblings will someday be cast out on their own (to some extent). Whether it's due to parental death, marriage or rebellion, they will find out the world is far larger and unpredictable than they ever imagined. And that scheduling and isolation from the world does not make their problems go away. When that day comes, I want a Maxwell children to write all about their experiences!

:text-yeahthat:

Very well said.

Life can be easy-peasy, or it can present a series of curveballs. Part of good parenting is preparing children to expect, and deal well and gracefully, with the unexpected.

FJers entering the competition...if you win, please don't mention it here until you have the book in your hands! Otherwise you might mysteriously discover that you've been withdrawn from the competition and your book gets sent to someone else.

Okay, guys, who posted this? :lol:

Robin on July 27, 2013 at 8:33 am said:

With so many blurred lines in today’s society, it’s so refreshing to see black and white in your reading and listening materials.

Ladies, remember that if Steve does read or browse here, he will also be on the look out for FJ commentators. I'm not the paranoid sort but I think Steve is......

My entry was published. First time ever I've got a comment past Steve. Now, shall I cross my fingers and hope I win or would that be a pagan superstition, likely to turn Steve against me?

My entry was published. First time ever I've got a comment past Steve. Now, shall I cross my fingers and hope I win or would that be a pagan superstition, likely to turn Steve against me?

Just don't say much about your comment here and wait for the giveaway. And congratulations on passing "the test". LOL!

What I want to know is how many FJers are responsible for the 51 comments on the entry at the moment.

Fifty-freaking-one.

90% of those better be parody comments from y'all.

Also, when did Sarah start using "y'all" in her posts? Is this another attempt to seem more friendly and humanoid, Stevus?

Archived