IGNORED

Maxwell Book Launch 10am cst!!1!!!

johnhugh

Conversation! Those idiots actually wrote a book on conversation! And a bonus, anger, relationship poison.

Yawn! I'll pass.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still laughing that they wrote a book on conversation. We keep talking about stilted and limited they are. Perhaps they caught a glimpse of that but misinterpreted it to mean others are more impaired.

The cover of "Spring Days With the Moodys" reminds me of a photo you would see on a box of tampons. Just sayin'...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Making Great Conversationalists :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

example conversations quotes from the 'book'

"the man we’ve interacted with remembered us"

"we laughed all evening when Mum ate a cheese paper"

"when we were on a what some would call a vacation we feed chipmunks"

"will you buy us dinner?"

"it was great fellowshipping"

How the hell can Teri and Stevie write a book about conversations when their children are so sheltered, thus would have no idea how to have a normal let alone intelligent conversation? :angry-banghead:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Making Great Conversationalists :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How the hell can Teri and Stevie write a book about conversations when their children are so sheltered, thus would have no idea how to have a normal let alone intelligent conversation? :angry-banghead:

Well, certainly they don't have INTELLIGENT conversations. But you've got to hand it to them -- the kids are trained to chat it up at all the conferences (which is a sales tactic), so I guess they think they've got the corner on the market with expert conversation.

I hope someone here will buy the book and report back.

If Making Great Conversationalists is available on Amazon Prime, I'll take one for the team. I can only imagine how enthralling it must be...

As for the Moody Books...Comic Sans? COMIC SANS??!!111?!!!

That's all I'm sayin'

Re: Maxwell Book Launch 10am cst!!1!!!

Post by johnhugh » 25 Jul 2013 23:15

You forgot the most important subjects of all: Death and the not so subtle implication that anyone who isn't their flavour of Christian is going to burn in the fiery lake for eternity.

And then there's Spring Days with the Moodys. They go to a drive thru safari and feed the animals. Such imaginative and inspiring stuff.

“I’d like to try feeding a camel,†Maddie begged Mitch.

“Sure.†Mitch grasped Maddie’s wrist as she fed Pansy and

then patted her.

“Ooohh,†breathed Maddie. “I like her!â€

Grandpa traded places with Max, so Max could help Dad at

the back window feed Buttercup. The baby camel was only

half-grown, so she had an easier time of fitting in the open

-

ing. “Uh-oh,†Max announced, feeling in his bag. “I only

have two pieces left.†Buttercup’s lips grasped his second-

to-last piece. She chewed briefly and opened for more. Max

reached out to pat her. “Her head feels like Maple’s. I like her.

Dad, I’ll refill while you keep her going.â€

Ernie allowed them to spend a long time with the camels.

“It isn’t often we get such well-behaved children. I seem

to always be telling kids to stay inside—not go down the

steps—and countless other things.†After awhile, Ernie said,

“Great folks from Kansas, we’re off. Bid good-bye to these

amazing camels.â€

Pansy seemed to be smiling as she

squeezed her head between the bars.

Sample

Chapter Eleven

Pansy stepped away, but Buttercup trotted next to the tram,

matching their speed. Suddenly, in a burst of energy, she

broke into an awkward gallop. It looked like she could fall

over at any moment. Her legs bowed out, her body jostled

from side to side, and her lips flapped. The tram slowed,

climbing a hill, and Buttercup disappeared from sight in

front of them. As they coasted down the other side, they saw

Buttercup standing in the middle of the narrow road, facing

the opposite direction.

Ernie applied the brakes. “Well, folks, Buttercup’s decided

that we didn’t give her enough. There will be no going for

-

ward until she allows us.†Every now and then, Buttercup

glanced over her shoulder as if to make sure they were still

there. Ernie remarked, “She’s mad, so she won’t move for

awhile.†He tossed food out the window, but Buttercup

didn’t seem to notice.

Mitch moved to the seat behind Ernie. “I have a question for

you.â€

“What’s that?â€

“Where is the giraffe? Your newsletter said you have one, and

I’m sure I haven’t missed him.â€

“You’re right, but he’s back in the main area, near the gift

shop. He’s recovering from surgery, so we don’t want him out

running until he’s fully recovered.â€

Several minutes passed, and Buttercup kept her position.

Ernie saw three vehicles waiting behind him. “There’s one

trick we often use,†Ernie leaned out the window and yelled,

“FOOD!â€

Instantly, Buttercup turned, walked to Ernie’s window, and

waited expectantly. He fed her a generous handful. “Go on

to the other vehicles now. They’ll feed you.†Ernie pushed the

Sample

How Many Does It Take?

gas pedal to the floor, and the tram jerked forward, exhaust

fumes spurting out the back.

The next section was thickly wooded. As Dad craned his neck

to see what was coming, he realized Mom hadn’t fed the ani

-

mals. He wished he had soap and water to wash the buffalo’s

slobber off, but that wasn’t available at the moment, so the

sanitizer would have to do. He took Moses, and Grandma

took Melissa. Even through the pass-off, the twins stayed

alert, keeping their eyes open for animals.

Max rattled his bag. “I’m ready for the next group. Look,

Maddie! Pigs!â€

A fat, pot-bellied pig waddled on its short legs as three pig

-

lets followed, wagging their curly tails. Ernie’s voice crackled

over the speakers: “What runs faster than a pot-bellied pig?â€

He paused. “Just about anything!†Ernie laughed at his own

joke. Since they couldn’t feed the pigs from the tram, Ernie

didn’t stop but kept going. “I know I shouldn’t have favorites,

yet I do. May I introduce you to Luther? Although Luther

looks similar to a long-horned cow from Texas, the length of

his horns sets him apart. Luther is a Watusi.â€

Mitch glanced at Mollie. “I thought the zedonks were his

favorite.â€

“Maybe he forgot,†Mollie tried to maintain her balance as

she refilled her bag. “I’ve never heard of a Watusi.â€

An enormous brown animal, with curved, thick horns and a

body that looked to be solid muscle, chewed its cud as they

approached. Ernie grabbed his microphone. “Luther is a nice

guy, unless he’s having a bad day. I think today is a good one

If Making Great Conversationalists is available on Amazon Prime, I'll take one for the team. I can only imagine how enthralling it must be...

As for the Moody Books...Comic Sans? COMIC SANS??!!111?!!!

That's all I'm sayin'

Yep, that's what I couldn't quite put my finger on. The combination of comic sans and the side of a tampon box. Good job, Sarah! Excellent choices!

According to Steve one word answers are a no-no. Interesting considering all the one word answers on to comments and questions on the blog, and how abrupt the rest of his answers are.

Seriously? This is the book they've been touting? These are people who rarely interact with anyone outside their own family, and they want to teach people how to be great conversationalists?

Aside from that, the title of the book seems awkward to me. Maybe "Making" rather than "Make" would sound better? IDK, it doesn't sound right the way they've worded it. And even by Maxwell standards, it sounds incredibly boring.

It's up, and it's called "Making Great Conversationalists."

Making Great Conversationalists has the potential to change your child’s life. Within this book’s pages, Steve and Teri unlock the keys to dynamic conversation. The ability to effectively converse prepares your child for courtship, influences his job potential, and could even help him lead someone to the Lord.

Don’t think that one-word replies, short answers, and lack of interest in others is normal for a child’s conversation. It’s not, and you can do something to change it.

Chapter after chapter of Making Great Conversationalists is filled with information, real-life examples, how-tos, and so much more that has the potential to make your child an incredible conversationalist. In addition, each chapter concludes with teaching notes and practical projects that will allow you to apply what you’ve read.

Would you like to help your child excel in this essential life-skill? Pre-order your book today.

Oh, and "Spring Days with the Moodys." I don't know much about the Moody books, is that a brand new one? It sounds as exciting as the other ones I've read about on FJ. *yawn*

And if you order both books, you get a free download of "Anger--Relationship Poison," a whopping $4.00 value!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

I can't believe that a Maxwell managed to write 8 sentences with no mentions of DEATH and only one mention the The Lord. There will be a lot of praying for forgiveness in the Maxwell household over this! Perhaps Steve will be led to revise the advertisement to correct this grievous error in, say, 3...2...1...

I'm still trying to imagine what the Maxwells consider to be "dynamic conversation". Something like "the blender blades turned"?

Time for that celebratory tequila!

Ernie applied the brakes. “Well, folks, Buttercup’s decided

that we didn’t give her enough. There will be no going forward until she allows us.†Every now and then, Buttercup glanced over her shoulder as if to make sure they were still

there. Ernie remarked, “She’s mad, so she won’t move for

awhile.†He tossed food out the window, but Buttercup

didn’t seem to notice. Mitch moved to the seat behind Ernie. “I have a question for you.â€

I definitely thought this was going to be followed by Mitch asking why the baby camel was allowed to dictate whether or not the trainers and tour groups could leave. Don't they know anything about training godly offspring?

It's up, and it's called "Making Great Conversationalists."

Making Great Conversationalists has the potential to change your child’s life. Within this book’s pages, Steve and Teri unlock the keys to dynamic conversation. The ability to effectively converse prepares your child for courtship, influences his job potential, and could even help him lead someone to the Lord.

Don’t think that one-word replies, short answers, and lack of interest in others is normal for a child’s conversation. It’s not, and you can do something to change it.

Chapter after chapter of Making Great Conversationalists is filled with information, real-life examples, how-tos, and so much more that has the potential to make your child an incredible conversationalist. In addition, each chapter concludes with teaching notes and practical projects that will allow you to apply what you’ve read.

Would you like to help your child excel in this essential life-skill? Pre-order your book today.

Oh, and "Spring Days with the Moodys." I don't know much about the Moody books, is that a brand new one? It sounds as exciting as the other ones I've read about on FJ. *yawn*

And if you order both books, you get a free download of "Anger--Relationship Poison," a whopping $4.00 value!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

The Maxwells are not great conversationalists, the speech in the Moody books and on the blog are stilted and awkward.

I cant imagine them sitting down and having a proper discussion with eachother about something. They cant be silly as thats not allowed. They cant talk about their problems and ask for advice as emotions are evil. They cant debate because they all agree. They dont know anything about current events, dont have hobbies, cant share stories of what theyve done because they spend each day together and have a normal life....

Unless thats what they want, to train their child to speak in that awkward formal way that their family uses.

Me Write Pretty One Day

Running With Scripture

I Know Why the Caged Housewife Drinks Pepsi

Uriah Confidential: Adventures in the Evangelical Underbelly

(someone stop me...)

You're coming awfully close to taking the name of Anthony Bourdain in vain. :) I still laughed though, especially at I Know Why The Caged Housewife Drinks Pepsi.

"“Maybe he forgot,†Mollie tried to maintain her balance as

she refilled her bag. “I’ve never heard of a Watusi.â€"

I wonder which Maxwell nearly fell out of their seat on the tram when they went to the animal park. It seems odd for Sarah to come up with otherwise. I'm sure they laughed for days over it.

And yes, I think Steve needs to read his own book after seeing the very curt replies to comments on the blog.

I actually spoke with both Sarah and Steve about eight (?) years ago at a homeschool convention. Yes, this was when I was new to the Maxwell's and somewhat delusional about their ideology. I also bought Managers of their homes and was a regular poster on the Titus2 Mom's board way back when.

Anyway, my friend and I visited their booth at the vendor hall of the convention, and we both spoke to Sarah. Sarah seemed very friendly and sweet but just a little shallow. Also, she seemed a little socially awkward, especially when my friend would crack a joke or make a silly remark... Sarah wouldn't get it and things just seemed to fly right over her head.

Steve, on the other hand, was quite talkative. I started up a conversation with him about my husband, who was working very hard to establish a home-based business so that he could be home with my girls. Steve practically lit up as he listened to me talk, and then he began to tell me about his own experience with leaving the work force and coming home to his family. He praised my husband and wanted to meet him and shake his hand. I told him that he was not at the convention due to his work schedule. All in all, I will say that Steve seemed to be good at conversation and very genuine to me, but it could be because I hit upon one of his favorite topics. Sarah, on the other hand, seemed a little awkward, but you could tell she was trying.

Grandpa traded places with Max, so Max could help Dad at

the back window feed Buttercup.

This sentence makes my eyes water.

Sweet Baby Jesus, that's butchered English right there. :cry:

For crying out loud, would it really be so ungodly to hire a decent copy editor and keep a grammatical monstrosity like this sentence from seeing print? Or are the Maxwells like Laurell K. Hamilton and too important to be edited anymore?

For crying out loud, would it really be so ungodly to hire a decent copy editor and keep a grammatical monstrosity like this sentence from seeing print? Or are the Maxwells like Laurell K. Hamilton and too important to be edited anymore?

I suspect Stevus Christ is the only editor these people think they need.

I suspect Stevus Christ is the only editor these people think they need.

That would make a great custom post count title: "Jesus Is My Copy Editor."

Archived