IGNORED

The Truth About Ruth - Part 2 - Merge

happy atheist

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:? I guess the CA location was true. digsitesvalue.net/s/razingruth.blogspot.com (if not much else)...

Nope, Blogger is based in Mountain View, California. All Blogger blogs show up as being in Mountain View, California.

:? I guess the CA location was true. digsitesvalue.net/s/razingruth.blogspot.com (if not much else)...

Blogger (blogspot.com) is owned by Google, which is HQ'd in Mountain View, CA. The way I concluded she was in California was when she broke her leg. She named the stream/creek/river where she slipped, which is in California. Of course, she could've made that up too. :shrug:

Blogger (blogspot.com) is owned by Google, which is HQ'd in Mountain View, CA. The way I concluded she was in California was when she broke her leg. She named the stream/creek/river where she slipped, which is in California. Of course, she could've made that up too. :shrug:

Ah! :(

I can't decide what's worse, truly having a past like "Ruth" or making something so crazy up and gaining the sympathy and trust of multiple people.

I have never given money to ruth or mary. I have read her blog but like most things on the internets I just see it as entertainment. It is the internet ! The place where people from all over the world can shit talk, be trolls, and make up fake personas. On the other hand people can also use the internet to support one other, share experiences, buy from small businesses, and support charities. On a whole it is good to use extreme caution on the internet to avoid being stalked or scammed. Individuals must be responsible for themselves and the choices they make. Vicki, NLQ, and FJ are not responsible for protecting people from possible scammers or fakes. Besides even if Ruth/Mary is a fake what would be done? Would people show up at her home with pitchforks and torches ready to burn the witch :roll: ?

My favorite thing about the internet is the freedom of speech. Ruth/ Mary has the right to publish her blog regardless of the validity of it. Blog readers also have the right to not read it, and not contribute. I have been a member on a lot of other forums in the past and found the best way to get rid of scammers and trolls is to just ignore them and to not give their websites any hits. I do have sympathy for anyone who feels scammed because long ago I had to learn the hard way too. But really even if it is all fake its not like there were laws broken and Ruth/ Mary can be taken away in handcuffs. So perhaps it is time to put down the pitchforks and torches in order to take this as a lesson learned. NLQ and FJ are still valuable resources but just like the rest of the internet they are just words and images on a computer screen.

I tried to get some sleuthing done, but I was jumping in one rabbit hole after another. I think my head exploded a little, and i may have lost the parts of my brain that hold stuff like my SSN & the date of my kids' births :confusion-seeingstars: And, dang it Lainey, where are my damn carrots? I deserve at least a few for effort :lol:

I have never given money to ruth or mary. I have read her blog but like most things on the internets I just see it as entertainment. It is the internet ! The place where people from all over the world can shit talk, be trolls, and make up fake personas. On the other hand people can also use the internet to support one other, share experiences, buy from small businesses, and support charities. On a whole it is good to use extreme caution on the internet to avoid being stalked or scammed. Individuals must be responsible for themselves and the choices they make. Vicki, NLQ, and FJ are not responsible for protecting people from possible scammers or fakes. Besides even if Ruth/Mary is a fake what would be done? Would people show up at her home with pitchforks and torches ready to burn the witch :roll: ?

My favorite thing about the internet is the freedom of speech. Ruth/ Mary has the right to publish her blog regardless of the validity of it. Blog readers also have the right to not read it, and not contribute. I have been a member on a lot of other forums in the past and found the best way to get rid of scammers and trolls is to just ignore them and to not give their websites any hits. I do have sympathy for anyone who feels scammed because long ago I had to learn the hard way too. But really even if it is all fake its not like there were laws broken and Ruth/ Mary can be taken away in handcuffs. So perhaps it is time to put down the pitchforks and torches in order to take this as a lesson learned. NLQ and FJ are still valuable resources but just like the rest of the internet they are just words and images on a computer screen.

Have you been reading the same threads that I've been reading? Who said anything about pitchforks and torches? Just you.

I tried to get some sleuthing done, but I was jumping in one rabbit hole after another. I think my head exploded a little, and i may have lost the parts of my brain that hold stuff like my SSN & the date of my kids' births :confusion-seeingstars: And, dang it Lainey, where are my damn carrots? I deserve at least a few for effort :lol:

w6uq1f.jpg ;)

Have you been reading the same threads that I've been reading? Who said anything about pitchforks and torches? Just you.

Seriously this whole thing reeks of a scam and if so it should be known and not just quietly dropped. Nobody is saying to stalk ruth down, but if its a scam people have the right to know. She's featured on NLQ which is a pretty big site that brings in tons of traffic and more money to her site so this isn't an issue to just look away from.

the pitchforks and torches example was not meant to be taken as literal. Just in the same way as one could say to those searching for truth about ruth/mary "Here's a shovel !". Because all the digging, although never done literally, is probably never going to get anyone anywhere close to the actual truth. many people on internet set up fake facebook accounts, fake twitter accounts, falsify their dating profiles, fake blogs, and so on. This does not make this behavior right. But this has become very common on the internet and were there are no real consequences except a few pissed off posters. This whole Ruth/Mary thing reminds me of that documentary Catfish. Sure Ruth/mary may be a he or a she or person actually posting from Africa by proxy. But even if that is the case there is nothing that can be done about it besides putting her on ignore and not giving her site any hits.

the pitchforks and torches example was not meant to be taken as literal. Just in the same way as one could say to those searching for truth about ruth/mary "Here's a shovel !". Because all the digging, although never done literally, is probably never going to get anyone anywhere close to the actual truth. many people on internet set up fake facebook accounts, fake twitter accounts, falsify their dating profiles, fake blogs, and so on. This does not make this behavior right. But this has become very common on the internet and were there are no real consequences except a few pissed off posters. This whole Ruth/Mary thing reminds me of that documentary Catfish. Sure Ruth/mary may be a he or a she or person actually posting from Africa by proxy. But even if that is the case there is nothing that can be done about it besides putting her on ignore and not giving her site any hits.

Yes there is something else to be done- we can raise awareness of her scam so that other people don't get sucked in to the scam.

Re: Ruth's name change.

I don't know if this got linked before (if it did, I apologize), but in this thread from last November: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13842&hilit

Her reply (about the seventh post down):

I owe all of you an explanation about what I'm doing with regard to my identity.

You're right, anniec. This is the beginning of my "coming out" party. I have working with a publishing company on writing a series of articles to be published in a magazine. If those go well, then we may try to put together a book with others who have left to create a marketable product. Obviously, that's going to generate interest in who I am and if I'm real. So, as I write this, I am preparing to go to court for a legal name change and limited protection order. The name change, at first, was to protect my family's identity. Then, as I went through the paperwork and the psych eval and the other necessities to getting a name change, I figured out that the name change is for me. I need to be a new person and that includes having the ability to distance myself from my family until we can meet again on my terms. I'll keep my REAL first name, with is Mary, btw. Only the last name will change. I am going to take my mother's surname. :) I think that's appropriate seeing as how most of the good things about me are from HER guidance and care, not my fathers. I spoke to a lawyer and this was his suggestion for moving my life along.

The letter in my post was sent to my brother. He forwarded a copy to me via email. Fortunately, for me, most of the family's who received it are so up to their eyes in Quiverfull and ATI, they keep my blog on the hush hush. The real harm I pose, in most ways, comes from the general public. If Gothard sees my family as a problem- he will have no problem jettisoning them from his businesses and thereby destroying the income capabilities of my father and one of my brothers and Rachel. The unspoken truce seems to be that as long as I don't cross a line and name names in specific instances, then they will likely overlook it.

This entire thing is giving me a headache. Why can't the people who might be scammers conveniently post things in just one place, rather than a blog, comments on a blog, and several threads on a busy forum? ;)

Re: Ruth's name change.

I don't know if this got linked before (if it did, I apologize), but in this thread from last November: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13842&hilit

Her reply (about the seventh post down):

This entire thing is giving me a headache. Why can't the people who might be scammers conveniently post things in just one place, rather than a blog, comments on a blog, and several threads on a busy forum? ;)

Does one really need a psych evaluation to change ones name?

Does one really need a psych evaluation to change ones name?

Nope, just a filing fee and some paperwork. Sometimes people have to go before a judge, but that is just a formality, definitely no psych evaluation needed. Wonder why she'd put that? Weird

I just remembered the Jocelyn Zichterman/Tina Anderson Foundation debacle.

http://razingruth.blogspot.com.au/2011/ ... drama.html

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/5098/R ... ama?page=1

It was confusing enough at the time, I'm even more bewildered now.

Vyckie at NLQ isn't exactly the most reliable but if this is made up it put RR into an even poorer light, the Foundation seems to be shady, Jocelyn Zichterman seems misguided at best, RR is a fraud. And Tina Anderson's name gets dragged through the mud again, this time through association.

RR has had a big impact on the anti QF/IBLP and ex fundie scene. I fear the fall out of this might be bigger than if it were just some random 'sick' blogger.

A comrade of mine changed his name legally (not for any weird reason, his real name is really long and complicated and hard to pronounce, he changed it to a small version which is easy to say). It cost him sixty quid. I was his witness and all I had to do was sign a form saying I knew him and he wasn't doing it to evade the law, or something. No psych evaluation required, and I think in Scotland we are more legalistic than you are in America.

You might have to go in front of the sheriff if they think you are changing your name for a bad reason (to escape the law, or judgements against you) or if you are bankrupt, to escape debts. Then you would have to explain your reasons for wanting to change your name. My comrade didn't have to do any of that, when you saw his real name and his proposed name change you would just go "Oh, right. I'd do the same meself."

But liars tend to make very complex lies, don't they?

Nope, just a filing fee and some paperwork. Sometimes people have to go before a judge, but that is just a formality, definitely no psych evaluation needed. Wonder why she'd put that? Weird

It did seem excessive to me.

Steps for a legal name change in California. No psych evaluation needed.

courts.ca.gov/1051.htm

Whoops! Ruth stepped over another line with the lawyer consult claim. That's not a cheap hour, and she's begging for food and rent money-- but can afford to ask a lawyer for information that's freely available from the local court system. Right.

Archived