IGNORED

Prayer Rug

Pinkgirl81

I don't think its meant to wipe your feet on. It's pretty much just a random carpet sample remanent, the kind you would see at a carpet store. The same material as your everyday living room carpet. I think I might go back and purchase it, just for the heck of it. LOL

A bit off topic, but...

When my daughter was about 8 or 9 (she's now 14), we lived in graduate student housing, which was super multi-cultural. It was actually pretty great, despite the apartments being small, stripped down, and only having one of those completely ineffectual wall air-conditioning units in the living room (we're in NoCal in an area that gets pretty hot during the summer). We had neighbors from all around the world, and large, green open areas where the kids played and people got together for picnic dinners out on the lawns. The kids would just run around in huge flocks (since there were no roads nearby), with older kids organizing activities and adults watching out for everyone.

One of our neighbors at that time was from Saudi Arabia, and had several young children, whom my daughter played with. His wife wore a hijab (just the head covering ??), but most of the time she wore it with Western-style clothing, but sometimes wore an abaya (??) (plus, she drove, so I think they were a bit more liberal than many Saudis). Their windows were also covered by aluminum foil so no one could look in and see her doing housework and stuff. They would throw parties in the housing complex's community center and pretty much give a blanket invite to everyone, and make all kinds of delicious food.

Anyway, one day my daughter had been over at their house playing, and she came home afterwards with a prayer rug. My SO and I were like, "What the heck?" and my daughter went on to cheerfully and excitedly explain that she was over there when they started their prayers, so the Dad had given her the prayer rug so she could see how they prayed. She continued: "I didn't really know how those prayers worked, so I pretended I was sitting on a flying magic carpet." :o :oops: :shock:

We were shocked and were afraid that she had accidentally insulted them, but when we talked to the Dad the following day, he just laughed it off. :lol: She still has the prayer rug to this day (it's beautiful!).

Eyequeue, I just love your story! Your daughter sounds so precocious and that was a generous gesture on the part of the other family.

That thing looks like it would be uncomfortable to kneel o. You'd get rug-burned knees. for sure.

But suffering for the Lord is good.

It has a cross on it (on which people would be wiping their feet), so I doubt that was the intent.

Likely someone's idea of Christian kitsch and thought it might sell.

It is a strange material to be used for, say, in front of an altar. Maybe whoever might use it would be into just a tad of hurting oneself in the name of devotion? (besides instruments with which to flagellate oneself, there are instruments like bands with spikes that are to be worn around your thigh and other ways to inflict pain on oneself in order to become closer to God)

Archived