IGNORED

Will we ever see a Duggar daughter wedding?

jebandpunky

Poor Jinger talked out of moving to DC by her parents.Not a one of the girls is courting and we all know all this talk about the girls learning to be nurses or midwives has been talk and none of them will ever get real jobs following there skills.Will JB ever let go and let them be free ?lets face it some them are getting closer to 25 and the thought of them being 30 year old maids living at home with there parent no jobs and no one courting there life just ticking away.I throught maybe this season you might here of one of the girls at least saying someone had interest in them not to say they don't have and maybe the show just isn't filming it but you would think it would of intest so they would.Not trying to say a girl has to be married by any age cause it has to be her choice of course.But most kids start taking interest in the other sex in there teen years yet none of these girls ever talk about being interested in courting a boy or a boy courting them.I hope there not waiting for JB to pick someone out because odds are he never will.Just the through of a girls dad picking her husband .Will we ever see a Duggar daughter wedding?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they have to find a guy who is willing to take on the duggar dog and pony show and all that entails. lot's of other prettier, more domestic and certainly better helpmeet material in vision forum and ati circles than them so it may not be worth the trouble for a dude.

I expect a few courtships very quickly after the final season of the show is over. The money will start running out, and any potential suitors won't have to worry about the TV factor anymore. There really aren't many littles who need buddies, and I think that the girls are getting anxious to leave the house, as shown by their frequent Journies and mission trips.

I know alot of people here think Jim Bob doesn't want any of the daughters leaving home.

I suspect the TV show is on top of his list of priorities because it supplements their income. I think JimBob would want a courtship and a wedding to help increase their ratings which have been declining. So why has their been no courtship yet? I don't know. But perhaps no one wants a Duggar bride. The Duggar daughters are obviously used to living an affluent life of a realty tv star. Or maybe the daughters have decided to live a life singleness(I know not likely but possible).

IMHO the easiest way to increase their ratings is a courtship and marriage. Jim Bob is smart enough to know that the ratings have been decreasing and the end is near if he doesn't come up with something interesting to the viewers. Maybe he hopes his "bride" will miraculously become pregnant again to save the show!

Will we ever see a Duggar girl wedding? Hopefully no, so the show will decrease in ratings and not be renewed. A wedding would definitely add a season.

Agreed that a courtship and wedding would increase ratings and keep the show going, so it raises questions of why JB hasn't allowed any of his daughters to do the "leave and cleave". Especially if keeping the show going is a high priority for him which no doubt it is. One reason is that he knows that if a daughter gets married and her new headship decides not to participate in the dog and pony show, then there's nothing he can do about it. He loses potential show material if that happens. He's smart enough to know that a suitor can say all the right things before marriage and then change his mind afterward. In that situation, any boost in ratings would be short term. He might decide not to risk it.

The other possibility is that there are simply no suitors knocking at the door because the girls may be seen as too spoiled and too worldly by now, plus not everyone in fundieland is going to approve of the show. In fact, I suspect a lot don't. The girls at this point should have met a lot of guys, including some who are fundie royality but there's been nothing.

Thank you for explaining it better, Nokidsmom! No caffeine and typing can be hard in the morning. ;)

Also, I wanted to add, some of the older daughters appear to be "smug" and "condescending" in their talking head segments. It is possible other fundies who watch the show see this and do not want to their children to court the Duggars.

Thank you for explaining it better, Nokidsmom! No caffeine and typing can be hard in the morning. ;)

Also, I wanted to add, some of the older daughters appear to be "smug" and "condescending" in their talking head segments. It is possible other fundies who watch the show see this and do not want to their children to court the Duggars.

Totally agree! It's been mentioned that Joy's eyerolls have consequences, and not only for being sent to Journeys of the Heart, but also it would serve as a real turnoff for potential fundie suitors. The girls probably aren't seen as wives that would be submissive enough.

I don't think a lot of fundie families want the Duggars as in-laws. In courting (no pun intended) fame, they have probably damaged their daughters' chances with anyone would be fundie, aka "godly" enough.

I'm 25 and I've had hilariously bad luck in the romance department. Single since high school, never had a serious relationship, never got past first base, etc. I would also really like to be married and have children, and always wanted to start having kids before I was 30., so in a sense I can understand how the older Duggar girls must be feeling.

Except I can also understand how much worse it must be for them. They have pretty much no control. My dad doesn't control my love life. I can, and do, turn down guys I'm not interested in. If I meet a guy I like, I'm free to pursue him. If I start dating a guy, there's none of this unhealthy pressure that, wow, this is a courtship so I'm probably going to marry him, and how embarrassing would it be if I didn't, so he'd better be perfect!! My life is not defined by waiting for prince charming. If I never meet the right person, I will still have a good and fulfilling life. I'm educated, I will work, I have hobbies, interests, friends, independence. I can adopt or foster children even though I'm single. The Duggar girls can't do any of this. I think it's awesome that they are 'allowed' to pursue some things, such as Jill's midwife training, and College Plus however paltry that may be... but essentially they have no agency over their own lives. So whether they get married or not, it's a sad, sad situation.

I think it would be harder to stomach watching a Duggar girl get married. With wedding episode for Smugs, the subtext was "you finally get to have sex and be the man of the house." I think it would be really hard to sugarcoat the subtext of "you have to give up complete ownership of your body, with no way to say no to sex, and then destroy your body through umpteen pregnancies."

It's been often said but I really think they will end up with a Bates/Duggar courtship as the Bates don't mind the TV. Zach and Michael are getting old, and so do Jana and JD. Plus in every Bates special both parents keep pushing for courtship. Might be the only hope before the show is over.

I think it would be harder to stomach watching a Duggar girl get married. With wedding episode for Smugs, the subtext was "you finally get to have sex and be the man of the house." I think it would be really hard to sugarcoat the subtext of "you have to give up complete ownership of your body, with no way to say no to sex, and then destroy your body through umpteen pregnancies."

I never thought about it that way . . . how depressing.

I don't think we'll see a marriage. Not before the next five or ten years and all the youngest girls can fend for themselves. I think that is what it comes down to.

This, exactly. The best you can hope for if they stay in Gothardism is that they get men who, DESPITE being fundies, love and respect them, pay little more than lip service to patriarchy and submission, and honour their bodies, their health, and their feelings. It is possible, and there are different degrees of good and bad. But yeah... my ultimate hope for the Duggar girls is that they reject Gothardism and, if they choose to get married, marry men who respect them as equal human beings.

I suspect that as the show is dwindling, that a "Very Special Duggar Wedding Event" reunion show about 12 -18 months after the show is over would be a burst of income for the Very Special Duggar Family and would likely be timed with a book on "grandparenting" or "as the nest begins to empty"

There are no doubt other fundies whose sons would love to be on TV, at least a bit!

There are no doubt other fundies whose sons would love to be on TV, at least a bit!

Very true. I do think that at least a couple of the Duggar girls will get married in the next ~3-6 years. They are good looking girls and (by fundie standards) stylish. Some fundie guys won't like the stylish part, but many will. The question is, will Jim Bob let any of them at his daughters. I think he will. He knows it will look bad if They're 30, 29, 28, 27 and still single with no prospects.

It's been often said but I really think they will end up with a Bates/Duggar courtship as the Bates don't mind the TV. Zach and Michael are getting old, and so do Jana and JD. Plus in every Bates special both parents keep pushing for courtship. Might be the only hope before the show is over.

If John had any interest in a Bates daughter, I think a courtship would have happened by now. Likewise, if Boob found one of their sons to be an acceptable suitor, he would have cooked something up. He may think they are beneath him and his family.

Whatever happens, I hope for the sake of any potential couple that a marriage isn't arranged simply for the sake of TV ratings. The courtship setup is bad enough as it is. Reality shows may not be real but marriages are, and in their world a young woman could easily end up in a very bad situation.

I think that a few of the girls will get married eventually, but it's rather interesting that it hasn't happened yet any one of them. They are attractive girls. Something is going on there, be it reluctance on JB's part or lack of suitors. I suspect it's more likely JB's reluctance because as it's been pointed out, there are probably some fundie guys who wouldn't mind being on TV however I do see the show as limiting their prospects in fundieland.

If John had any interest in a Bates daughter, I think a courtship would have happened by now. Likewise, if Boob found one of their sons to be an acceptable suitor, he would have cooked something up. He may think they are beneath him and his family.

Whatever happens, I hope for the sake of any potential couple that a marriage isn't arranged simply for the sake of TV ratings. The courtship setup is bad enough as it is. Reality shows may not be real but marriages are, and in their world a young woman could easily end up in a very bad situation.

This. They have rubbed elbows enough with the Bates family that if there were courtship possibilities there, it would have happened. In spite of the TLC episodes showing the two families together, I never got a very friendly vibe between them. I agree that JB probably looks down on the Bates family and actually (I never thought I would say this) I suspect Gil and Kelly don't want to push their kids into courtships for the sake of a show. They had one courtship disaster and they are taking a different approach with allowing Chad and Erin to get to know each other.

I think there is a small chance we may see a Duggar girl wedding on TV. The ratings aren't great like others have mentioned. If the show does get canned after next season, Boob will likely negotiate for update shows like how Matt Roloff did with TLC. I can easily picture a Duggar wedding special years from now. I do think there are a few factors to why Jana or SmugJill haven't gotten married yet. I suspect that some fundie young men don't want to be apart of the dog and pony show. There has been rumors about some families in ATI disliking the Duggars because they have a TV show. I agree with others, it could be that Boob has driven away potential suitors because they don't match his criteria.

Guest LilaFowler

I have no doubt fundie men are pursuing Jana, Jill, Jinger, and Jess. Or at least pursuing Jim Bob. But I feel that Jim Bob is turning them away.

I have the sinking feeling that the whole system is so "broken" (Duggar family dynamics, their famewhoring, the essential inefficacy of the SAHD/courtship model) that these gals may never marry at all, or perhaps not till they're well into their 30s, when the entire Gothard/Duggar trainwreck finally crashes and burns.

These girls may not want to get married. They may be burned out raising Mullets kids and cleaning Mullets, the last thing they may want to do is "start over".

These girls may not want to get married. They may be burned out raising Mullets kids and cleaning Mullets, the last thing they may want to do is "start over".

True. They may think that their parents' marriage (like Gothard-approved marriages in general) is the only possible model for married life, and that any other way would be "sinful."

I often wonder if the Duggar girls themselves are a little hesitant to marry. They've spent years raising their siblings, and the end is kind of in sight there. Why plunge right into another possible 20 years of baby-raising? I feel like we've read other accounts from women who've escaped that lifestyle about how burnt out on child-rearing they were. And in their world, marriage equals babies. They also get to travel extensively, meet a wider range of people and have a broader range of experiences than many within their "society." Given how little control they could ultimately end up having over a husband's lifestyle choices, it might be a devil-you-know kind of situation.

I sometimes think a similar thing about the Botkin daughters. They essentially have a career, although they'd never express it that way. They travel to speaking engagements and conferences, they work on their dad's and brothers' film projects, they write books. Although it's all supposedly at the behest of fulfilling their father's mission, if it's work they enjoy why would they endanger that on a marriage that might severely limit their opportunities to continue.

Did anyone ever read Genevieve Smith who did the Issacharian Daughters newsletters? She wrote these online newsletters, was active helping her father with his homeschooling business, did a lot of writing and outreach, and then got married to a man who owned a wood-working type business. She wrote a last newsletter about turning her attention to her husband's dreams and goals and away from supporting her father's work, and then sort of disappeared. I mean, I found her writing and conclusions infuriating, but she was clearly intelligent and driven. I wonder if she misses that old work that she seemed so suited for.

Of course the irony is that all of these women might be fulfilling themselves carving out career-like situations for themselves promoting a lifestyle that limits the opportunities for other women to find that same fulfillment.

True. They may think that their parents' marriage (like Gothard-approved marriages in general) is the only possible model for married life, and that any other way would be "sinful."

They could be avoiding getting married by playing on their dad's pickiness over suitors. So it's a bit of them and JB that's keeping the suitors away or rather, turning them away.

After years of housework and child rearing, I can see those girls so not eager to sign up for more.

Archived