IGNORED

Good Resource for Finding Ancestors of Adopted People

No Cure for Stupid

My mother got me into genealogy when we met her living relatives, and since then I've been tracing our family through ancestry.com until I realized that it was way too much money. I traced her maternal line through Charlemagne (although, when I gave her access to my account, she went a bit nuts and traced us back to Adam and Eve...yeah, right). Her paternal line was a lot harder, and I came to a standstill when it came to her great-grandfather.

The problem I have is on my father's side. My dad was born in 1951, and he was adopted at six months, but the papers weren't official until he was about three. He refuses to look into his family. All I really have on him are his birthdate, birthplace, and birth name. What I wanted to know is if anyone knows of a resource I can find that has information on adopted people.

• 2 weeks later...

There are people who can use the just information you have, assuming it's accurate, and work miracles. They're called search angels. I believe they work through social networking and a few sites that have registries like that. There's also a thing called the international soundex reunion registry (isrr), and it's free.

23andme also does genetics mapping or whatever, since your dad doesn't want to look. I think it's like a hundred bucks and they take swabs of dna and run it against something science-y or whatever.

Google these things, maybe you'll find something you wanna try.

Archived