IGNORED

Celtic Thunder

Pond

Anybody here a fan? :cracking-up:

I must admit, I was just thinking the other day that some of their songs (Amazing Grace, Hallelujah, etc...) would be right up the fundies' alley, but then again, they'd be too defrauding :wink-penguin:

I think that they are wonderful and I have been a long time fan of Celtic Woman.

I think my screen name answers this question sufficiently. ;)

My favorite of their songs is Heartland. <3

I like Celtic Woman, though not quite on the Celtic Thunder scale. In fact, browsing CW on Youtube was how I discovered CT.

Heartland is my favorite song too ;) What do you think of their new show?

Amazing, as always, lol. :D

I also love CW, but like you, not quite as much as CT. Being mostly Irish in my heritage, though, it's hard to find anything Celtic I don't like, lol.

I'm hoping to see them in Australia next year but I don't know yet.

My great great grandmother was Scottish :dance:

I wish they'd ever come near enough to me for me to go see them, but they don't. :(

I've got Irish on both sides of my family, as well as a little Scottish. I'm not sure who was what, though. I just know it's around there somewhere, and that I have more Irish than anything else, lol.

I really want to see them live, hopefully the Mythology tour in Oz next year. Fingers crosssed :wink-penguin:

Well lucky you if you get to! It doesn't appear likely that I'll ever get to. :(

heh I said "Hopefully". I might not even get to :shrug:

I'm just looking forward to the live chats next week!

So last fall, my parents had tickets to Celtic Thunder. My dad can take it or leave it anyway (he is not a huge music fan). He ended up having his biopsy that day and could not go. So my husband stayed with him and I went with my mom to the show. I had literally never heard a thing of theirs. Not once.

I liked it well enough. Then this surfer dude came out with a guitar and sang "Everybody's Talkin" and I became obsessed. Mom bought Keith's solo CD out front before we left--and got it autographed. I downloaded it on my iPod and along with everything he sings solo in CT and that is now my "most played" playlist. I bought tickets last week for mom and me to see them again in October. But I fear they won't let Keith sing the whole show by himself! That's okay. The rest is good, too. :)

Keith just finished a solo US/Canadian tour with Barry and Dave :) Did you get to see them?

I prefer Ryan myself (not big on the whole surfer dude thing, although he does have an amazing vocal range), but Colm and Emmet are a sweet pair :wink-penguin:

Keith just finished a solo US/Canadian tour with Barry and Dave :) Did you get to see them?

I prefer Ryan myself (not big on the whole surfer dude thing, although he does have an amazing vocal range), but Colm and Emmet are a sweet pair :wink-penguin:

The closest Keith was to us on the solo tour was about three and half hours away and the date just didn't work. He is now writing for a new album, so maybe next tour.

The surfer thing is not my obsession. Although, I was not expecting any of them to be blond surfers. I just like his voice and range (both vocally and across genres) and love good acoustic guitar.

Much the best voice, IMO, left to pursue his solo career. The guy with the ears that Google tells me is Paul Byrom. :)

I find Celtic Thunder rather uneven and over-rated, to tell the truth. I've caught them on PBS occasionally and was underwhelmed. It seemed an odd mix of traditional Celtic music and random other stuff. The original "kid" Damien something was frequently off-key and forced his voice. Surfer dude is OK, if you like that sort of thing, but the short dark one is not impressive. His rendering of Silverado made me wince. I can't remember why.

Colm and Emmet are hosting another live chat on the 26th if anyone's interested. Keith's having his tonight.

I just ordered the deluxe version of their new CD for my mother for her b-day...you can only get it on their site. She better like it because Paypal would not accept my payment for three days. They kept declining my debit card (which had plenty of money in the account). Their customer service told me it was the bank. The bank said it was absolutely not them. Then it would say it could not take my (only) credit card "at this time". So I decided to try to update my actual Paypal account which I haven't used in five years. I changed my name when I got married four years ago. Paypal would not let me update that info without sending them documentation, so my credit card could not be authorized anymore. Tried to open a new account as that was what their customer service told me would be easier...debit card declined, credit card "cannot be tied to multiple accounts"...

Miraculously, on day three of fighting with it, it just accepted my credit card. But her CD will be late now.

I think the new CD/DVD is worth it :dance:

I keep hoping they'll do a re-release like they did with the previous show (Voyage) and put songs from the show that didn't make the first CD with bonus videos of the performances that didn't make the DVD. :pray:

I think the new CD/DVD is worth it :dance:

I keep hoping they'll do a re-release like they did with the previous show (Voyage) and put songs from the show that didn't make the first CD with bonus videos of the performances that didn't make the DVD. :pray:

Just got an email that it shipped and will be here in 10-14 days. So it should be on time after all. I hope so. My mom is not exactly having a good year and my dad's next CT scan got scheduled on her birthday of all days. She needs something good that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Aw :( I'm sorry to hear that... *hug* I hope your dad gets well soon and your mom feels better. Nothing like a bunch of hot Irishmen to make a woman happy :)

Also, I don't think I like Keith very much...

I must admit, I was just thinking the other day that some of their songs (Amazing Grace, Hallelujah, etc...) would be right up the fundies' alley, but then again, they'd be too defrauding :wink-penguin:

I don't have the original Celtic Thunder songs, but I checked out their version of Hallelujah on youtube, and if that's the version they do, yes, right up the fundie alley, but they left out some verses:

Baby I have been here before

I know this room, I've walked this floor

I used to live alone before I knew you.

I've seen your flag on the marble arch

Love is not a victory march

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time when you let me know

What's really going on below

But now you never show it to me, do you?

And remember when I moved in you

The holy dove was moving too

And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Way too defrauding.

Hmm... in the version I have those verses are included.

Then again I haven't listened to/watched It's Entertainment in a while I may be mistaken...

I always assumed those verses were cut for length not because they are "defrauding". They did record "Whiskey in a Jar" after all, don't think that is fundie-approved. And, really, Leonard Cohen is not fundie approved either no matter what lyrics are cut.

The only actual religious songs they have recorded that I can think of are "Amazing Grace" and "All God's Creatures Got a Place in the Choir" and the fundy-lite types I know do not like the second one much no matter who sings it. In fact, a lot of them do not like any music unless they approve of the "testimony" of the musicians. Until all members of CT explain why they are "born again" and start trying to "save" concert goers at the end of the show, they are not going to make the cut. And I doubt they are "born again" and I don't see them suddenly deciding to close with an altar call and "Just As I Am".

• 3 weeks later...

I've always thought of A Place in the Choir as more of a cutesy song than anything else.

While I think songs like Amazing Grace may be up fundies' alley, they're all pretty devout Irish Catholics so either way I doubt they'd meet the fundie-lite approval.

Archived