IGNORED

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

Chicken bones

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Not to take away from anyone's random close-minded ramblings, but tonight's episode has a 22-year-old Romanichal divorcee who doesn't want to be a housewife or mother. I'm hoping everything turns out well for her.

It would be interesting to know more about how the process of being filmed, and the necessary interaction with non-traveller people affects those who are questioning aspects of their culture. I would hope that for those who want to jump ship, the filming process provides contacts and resources to help them make the move.

Still avoiding my question Genie, why did you have totally different reaction complete with understanding and explanations of how they feel sooooo resentful because they are often portrayed as backwood hicks when discussing your fellow Southerners saying the "n" word. You would think that since you were so quick to offer up explanations of resentment and why they act racist for white, not that persecuted people in the South, you would do the same to the Roma, but you didn't. You just want to destroy their culture.

Okay, the current arguments not withstanding, just saw the episodes with Priscilla and then the "gorger" bride. Hadn't seen Pat Baby before but definitely he wanted to be wearing his daughter's dress/boots. They have totally managed to find the stereotypes here.

There are a number of articles online where TLC states until they found the dressmaker that they found families willing to participate.

It would be interesting to know more about how the process of being filmed, and the necessary interaction with non-traveller people affects those who are questioning aspects of their culture. I would hope that for those who want to jump ship, the filming process provides contacts and resources to help them make the move.

I don't know if the show helped, but it seems Mellie has left the gypsy life & is now dating an Italian man. She is also quoted as saying she will never marry a another gypsy man.

Edited t change not to now

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would resurrect this thread tho share some information I found at the TWoP fourms. This is strictly about the show and based on rumors. Remember Shyanne from the first episode...the girl who had never been kissed until her wedding? Well, that wasn't so. Supposedly, she had been with her cousin Danny Stanley when she was 15. Danny is supposedly listed on Nettie's son, Heath's FB as his cousin (which would make him . The other girl, Hope, that was featured in the same episode, apparently her last name is Stanley also. Cole, the guy Hope wanted to run away with, his last name is Stanley and he is Mellie and Nettie's nephew. If this is true, there is no way these people don't know each other or not know they are related, and they are screwing each other! :puke-front: So much for all their talk about purity. As for Mellie, supposedly she was in 2 foster homes and was married twice (but I would need to see some proof to belive this before she gets any sympathy from me--her story changes with every interview she gives). She now works as a stripper. There are also rumors that she and Nettie and some of the other Stanley girls will be getting their own reality show on TLC.

Again, I haven't checked any of this out, so take it with a grain of salt. But, I do know that the Stanley family is one of the older Romanichel gypsy clans, so they have been here since at least 1850. There is no reason this day and time that this family cannot keep their traditions and live in the real world at the same time. They choose not to and flat out say so on the show. That is probably the most truthful thing I have heard on that show. Again, just so there is no confusion, I'm referring to just this family. If any of this is true, and really suspect that most of it is, then what I said many pages ago on this thread stand true. Redneck gypsies....can't get more ass-backwards than that.

Should I go for a shimmery nail polish or a glitter one? I heard glitter ones were hard to remove.

Should I go for a shimmery nail polish or a glitter one? I heard glitter ones were hard to remove.

I've never had any difficultly removing glitter nail polish, so you should give it a shot. Even better is magnetic, because the kind I have has these little flakes of glitter in it that you can move around with the magnet, which I find very amusing.

I'm thinking of going for a lavender, preferably a pinkish one rather than a greyish mauve.

Go with shimmery, glittery ones always chip on me. Although, i had a really cool one in high school that had like, BIG pieces of glitter, like stripes almost. - like tinsel. It was REALLY cool.

Put a good solid base coat (possible two) on before you try the glitter. It should come right off then.

I am pretty dedicated to resurrecting my nails to their natural state, so I am going to stay polish-free, but maybe give them a good buffing after I trim them. I do not understand all the nail polish posts on Pinterest.

Go with shimmery, glittery ones always chip on me. Although, i had a really cool one in high school that had like, BIG pieces of glitter, like stripes almost. - like tinsel. It was REALLY cool.

Oooh, I totally know the one you're talking about. I wore it especially for New Years Eve, 1999 - it was the perfect partying polish! I can't remember who made it - they probably discontinued it. They never keep the good stuff.

• 11 months later...

I don't know why I keep watching this trashy train wreck. But on the. "love is a Battlefield" episode, boy, was I reminded of our fundies! Brandy, an 18yo Romanichal, has been guarded, "under lock and key" to protect her virtue and her perceived virtue. She can't even go to the bathroom at a putt putt place without a chaperone. Her sister threatens violence against her, in very specific terms (really, is that smart on TV?..) if she strays in any way. This young woman is a legal adult, but you'd never know it.

In the same episode, we see 18yo Chelsea's granny also threaten her with death and other violence should she run off with the boy she plans to do this with ( whom Chelsea has never actually met.) Finally, 15yo Priscilla, who we have seen on the show before, is pining for an engagement ring from her cousin who is nearly double her age.

In so many ways this group is so like the fundies we examine: the submission and subservience of women, the be your own boss philosophy, the discouragement of education. Having not met any actual people from either group, they both just fascinate and repel me equally.

What concerns me the most is some of these young women are kept ignorant about sex. They are being kept home while the young males get to screw around and do what they want! Do you remember the episode when the young bride didn't know what being "good" in bed meant. Her mom said she would have to find out the hard way...like she did. WTF! That is insane! If the husband dies, who will take care of them?

The double standard about sex is breathtaking. Those girls are kept so ignorant, yet the boys are basically encouraged to be promiscuous. At least with a lot of our fundies, there's equality in their enforced virtues. Not that that is really much better...

The double standard about sex is breathtaking. Those girls are kept so ignorant, yet the boys are basically encouraged to be promiscuous. At least with a lot of our fundies, there's equality in their enforced virtues. Not that that is really much better...

The way those young men may treat the women they sow their wild oats with concerns me. If they value female chastity so highly they must think poorly of the women they have premarital sex with, and they come from a culture that accepts violence against women. It's a recipe for abuse.

The way those young men may treat the women they sow their wild oats with concerns me. If they value female chastity so highly they must think poorly of the women they have premarital sex with, and they come from a culture that accepts violence against women. It's a recipe for abuse.

I agree. Do they not care how others will view their culture? Surely they know that certain customs are not moral. But then again...there are many cultures where women are treated like crap and everyone involved is ok with it.

They honestly seem to think they come off well in the show. It's just a clusterf**k of ginormous proportions. I want to bitchslap the men and shake the women.

• 4 years later...

I'm  sorry to bump such an old thread, and if there are rules against this please let me know and I'll delete my post or make a thread or whatever I'm supposed to do.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to contact TLC about the people that were on an episode of this show.   I'd like to ask them not to rebroadcast an episode that centers around a couple because they and their friends live in my city and very recently robbed me and continue to harass me.  They did a lot more than that but I'm not sure how much of it I can get into online.  I feel that more attention from a rerun would only inflate their egos even more and perhaps give  them money they don't deserve because their marriage was a sham and they are hurting me and many others.  They  faked everything just to be on the show.

There is even a man on the episode who is a convicted child molester and was also arrested for drug trafficing.  They are very scary and dangerous people and need to be stopped.  How can I reach TLC to ask that this episode not air again?

Thank you!!

Good luck.  I'm afraid TLC won't give a shit but complaining is always worth a try.  Usually Reality TV cast members are paid for filming and do not get residuals - so if TLC reruns the episode they won't get additional money.

TLC (and the Production companies they contract with) are notorious for not screening participants properly.  

TLC is owned by Discovery Communications.  The best thing is to snail mail a letter of complaint to the corporate office:  

Discovery Communications  

Attn:  Bryan Beno Director of Programming, TLC 

1 Discovery Place Silver Spring, MD 20910

Emails to all the usual Discovery accounts only get you a canned response.  

TLC has social media: Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/tlc and Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TLC

Or there are phone numbers for local area VPs here:  http://www.contactcustomerservicenow.com/contact-tlc-customer-service/

Archived