IGNORED

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

Chicken bones

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
from the Prince of Egypt, when Moses was rescued by the gypsies.

Late to the party, but I'm going to guess that she's talking about the Sheik of Midian's daughters.

Still wrong.

Late to the party, but I'm going to guess that she's talking about the Sheik of Midian's daughters.

Still wrong.

But-but-but Disney made them brown and they were nomadic! Surely they were Gypsies... :lol:

And despite Genie's claims, if I remember correctly, nobody cut her any slack.

But-but-but Disney made them brown and they were nomadic! Surely they were Gypsies... :lol:

[channeling geniebelle] Of course they weren't Gypsies... did you see them steal anything or rip anyone off? [/channeling geniebelle]

... and now I feel dirty.

But-but-but Disney made them brown and they were nomadic! Surely they were Gypsies...

There was also dancing, singing, and colorful clothes. I guess I can see how the mistake could be made... if you're getting all your cultural education from Disney and Dream Works.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Prince of Egypt and I like Disney (although we've never watched Hunchback).

There is an old thread about this. A woman from the Rom culture came on and explained a lot of things about their life.

The link is here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=291&start=40

The poster is Mami Bear.

I read the thread, but like I said I can't and won't comment on gypsies and travellers in Europe because I've never been there. However, that thread was a gold mine. There was this:

"When I watch this show on TLC, I keep trying to find something to like about the Traveller culture and I keep failing."

and the reply:

"Yes! Me too! They go on and on about preserving their culture and I'm like "what's to preserve"?"

Then there were the snarky comments about her and her lifestyle.

Anyway, I still stand by what I have said, both about the show and what is well known about American gypsies. That thread certainly didn't change my mind about anything. If anything I got a good laugh out of it, and one word came to mind. If you want to know what that word is go back and re-read the thread.

blah, blah, blah

524990_319220871485295_126894987384552_731180_148284787_n.jpg

I read the thread, but like I said I can't and won't comment on gypsies and travellers in Europe because I've never been there. However, that thread was a gold mine. There was this:

"When I watch this show on TLC, I keep trying to find something to like about the Traveller culture and I keep failing."

and the reply:

"Yes! Me too! They go on and on about preserving their culture and I'm like "what's to preserve"?"

Anyway, I still stand by what I have said, both about the show and what is well known about American gypsies. That thread certainly didn't change my mind about anything. If anything I got a good laugh out of it, and one word came to mind. If you want to know what that word is go back and re-read the thread.

You really are an asshole, aren't you?

and the reply:

I re-read the thread and am ashamed to see that I once spoke a line akin you what you've been saying here (that there's nothing good about the Roma culture) I feel grateful I was able to pull my head out of my own ass long enough to do a 180 on that.

Which is not to say I take back anything I said in that thread about the specific negative aspect of their culture (particularly the patrichary) But I'm apparently now mature enough to see "Oh, just because there are bad things about a particular culture doesn't make the whole thing a wash". Too bad you can't join me over here in the "reformed bigots" area.

and the reply:

If you read the thread, those people were called out on it and called racists. Just like you have been. They reconsidered their positions, maybe you should give it a try?

Everyone has gut reactions that are mildly "-ist" of some sort, the difference is that most people try to fight it while you seem to think it makes you a better person or something.

I just want to say that it is a breath of fresh air to come here and read people's replies and such.

Over at TWOP almost everyone just talks about what horrible people "gypsies" are and no one is countering it or saying "that's not fair to classify an entire people group"...

I just want to say that it is a breath of fresh air to come here and read people's replies and such.

Over at TWOP almost everyone just talks about what horrible people "gypsies" are and no one is countering it or saying "that's not fair to classify an entire people group"...

And they gave specific examples of their scams and cons not related to the show. Gee, I wonder why that is? I couldn't possibly be because they know of what they speak now, could it?

I see Genie is still avoiding answering my question.

Beware. Here there be geniebelle.

And they gave specific examples of their scams and cons not related to the show. Gee, I wonder why that is? I couldn't possibly be because they know of what they speak now, could it?

Do you believe that every single Roma does these things?

I know I shouldn't engage her, but I can't help it :-p

Genie - I have nannied for 5 or 6 families with working mothers, out of those families there was ONE that seemed to give a crap about her child, that was consistent in her rules and expectations, that didn't treat me like an indentured slave, and that seemed GENUINELY happy to see her child at the end of the day instead of "Can you stay another hour, so I can have a minute?" Therefore it would be very easy for me to conclude that all working mothers are mean, inconsistent, and don't give a crap about there kids.

There is nothing inherent in being of Roma descent or even in living the lifestyle represented on the show that means all of these people are thieves or anything. To me that is like saying that every single used car salesman is slimey or every single lawyer is evil - yes we as a society say it a lot and there are a lot of people in those professions who hold up to that stereotype, but it doesn't mean we treat every single person in those professions with contempt. If you child decides they wanna be a lawyer you cheer- because your chances of having a child who can provide for you in your old age just increased significantly...and for their benefit OF COURSE! *wink*

Seriously though, I don't get the stereotyping entire people groups....

I haven't read this thread through so this may have been said already but - Does anyone else think Pat Baby might be a closeted homosexual? He seemed more envious of his daughter's pretty pink dress and sparkly boots than proud, lol!

I haven't read this thread through so this may have been said already but - Does anyone else think Pat Baby might be a closeted homosexual? He seemed more envious of his daughter's pretty pink dress and sparkly boots than proud, lol!

I thought he was drunk, high, a little crazy, and just playing it up for the cameras like Paddy Doherty from the UK version. From the MBFAGW Facebook Priscilla (presuming it is her) posted that she was still single. Thank goodness!

Didi, I'm not basing what I have said solely on the show unless I stated so in the post. The fact of the matter is, this isn't a case of 5 out 6 (using your example). The information is out there, people just choose to ignore it. But it's just so much easier to believe victims are racists bigots and law enforcement officers are just mean, bullying, racial profilers. Furthermore, it seems to escape everybody's mind that this is a patriarchal society where wives are submissive, abuse is rampant, and their kids are not educated beyond 5th grade. Funny though how quick people are to dismiss the criminal element but believe the patriarchal society element.

Not to take away from anyone's random close-minded ramblings, but tonight's episode has a 22-year-old Romanichal divorcee who doesn't want to be a housewife or mother. I'm hoping everything turns out well for her.

The best thing she can do is get the heck out of there. If she doesn't, she will be under her family's control. Maybe, just maybe she has some "gorger" friends on the outside to help her.

Archived