IGNORED

Patch the Pirates son dead after fall

PurpleSheepleEater

wspa.com/story/22229601/greenville-police-investigating-mans-death-outside-parking-garage

The article says they have reason to believe he jumped. His parents are Ron (Patch the Pirate) and Shelly Hamilton who are massive names in fundie music out of Bob Jones University.

Apparently it has been ruled a suicide.

greenvilleonline.com/article/20130513/NEWS/305130054/Greenville-parking-garage-death-ruled-suicide?nclick_check=1

I wonder if the enormous pressure he faced as a child to perform had anything to do with it. He definitely lived in the spotlight for those circles, he also played a character on his dads many patch the pirate records, I think as one of the kid pirates.

I'm also wondering if he had other secrets since he was 34 and his facebook says he was single. That's pretty unusual in those circles, unless you don't like girls. I have a feeling there's more to this story but I'm doubtful any of it will come to light.

I grew up listening to Patch the Pirate and I'm pretty sure he used his kids as the kids on the tapes. I think Jonathan was Pee Wee Pirate. How heartbreaking.

Oh my gosh, I hadn't thought about Patch the Pirate in years! I'm so sorry to hear about his son; that has to be a nightmare for any parent. I can't imagine their pain, and my heart goes out to them.

Yeah, I think you are right. I'm not sure how many kids they had but I remember them singing and doing music as a family, Shelly plays piano, I think the kids may have played stringed instruments?

My mom still has the very original one that she got when it first came out, "Patch the Pirate in Space". We went to sleep listening to them. The wife played the seagull and their kids played the other pirates.

Statement from the parents posted on sister Tara's Facebook page:

facebook.com/tara.h.farrell/posts/526993674024160

Okay I know this may sound morbid so I'll start off putting that disclaimer up. I immediately thought how sad then who is going to be the third suicide; who is male and from a religious family? After all death as the saying goes comes in 3's.

Okay I know this may sound morbid so I'll start off putting that disclaimer up. I immediately thought how sad then who is going to be the third suicide; who is male and from a religious family? After all death as the saying goes comes in 3's.

Who is the other one?

Already tamping down "speculation" at the Sharper Iron board:

sharperiron.org/filings/5-13-13/27336

Apparently it has been ruled a suicide.

greenvilleonline.com/article/20130513/NEWS/305130054/Greenville-parking-garage-death-ruled-suicide?nclick_check=1

I wonder if the enormous pressure he faced as a child to perform had anything to do with it. He definitely lived in the spotlight for those circles, he also played a character on his dads many patch the pirate records, I think as one of the kid pirates.

I'm also wondering if he had other secrets since he was 34 and his facebook says he was single. That's pretty unusual in those circles, unless you don't like girls. I have a feeling there's more to this story but I'm doubtful any of it will come to light.

I have no idea if pressure from performing played any role in his death, but I do know he was diagnosed with schizophrenia a long time ago, and even had a mental breakdown at one point and was committed to a mental facility (not sure if it was just some time in a hospital or if it was a long-term home of some type, which is why I just used the word facility). It was all kept extremely hush-hush since mental illness doesn't factor into the neat little fundie view of the world, but word still got around.

Ugh, that's sad. Regardless of the circumstances that may have led to his death, that still has to be so hard for his family and those who knew and loved him. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Who is the other one?

There hasn't been another I was just wondering who the next male from a religious family might be to die from suicide since there is the whole notion of deaths in 3.

I hate when someone dies from suicide and people immediately start talking about what the parents might have done wrong.

This is very sad to hear.

While I wish this hadn't happened, I hope this and Rick Warren's son's death will help increase awareness of mental illness among conservative Christians. I've been impressed with what the Warrens have been doing since their son's death.

There hasn't been another I was just wondering who the next male from a religious family might be to die from suicide since there is the whole notion of deaths in 3.

I think you mean who was the first one? There was one about a month ago. Rick Warren's son

I think you mean who was the first one? There was one about a month ago. Rick Warren's son

I knew about Rick Warren son, then there is this one, what I was wondering about is who will be the next since the whole theory or 3's. These deaths do shine a light though on Christianity and what it means for mental health.

Thanks, that is what I meant.

Schizophrenia can be a serious illness and hard to treat. My uncle had it. I'm glad he got at least some treatment, but I wonder if he got all the treatment he really needed. It's hard enough for mainstream people to get adequate treatment, let alone someone from a group that likes to pretend mental illness doesn't exist. This hits close to home.

I have no idea if pressure from performing played any role in his death, but I do know he was diagnosed with schizophrenia a long time ago, and even had a mental breakdown at one point and was committed to a mental facility (not sure if it was just some time in a hospital or if it was a long-term home of some type, which is why I just used the word facility). It was all kept extremely hush-hush since mental illness doesn't factor into the neat little fundie view of the world, but word still got around.

Wow. I really hope he got actual help beyond the biblical counseling that is pretty much all that the fundies allow.

Already tamping down "speculation" at the Sharper Iron board:

sharperiron.org/filings/5-13-13/27336

Oh the group of people that post there make me crazy. I use to read there regularly but had to stop for my own sanity.

:cry:

One of the fondest memories I have of my old church was being in one of the Patch the Pirate skits when I was about four. (I didn't actually have any set lines, I was the baby character, and all I really had to say was 'goo goo ga ga'. Nevertheless, I was one of the big kids, and I was going to memorize my part, too! So, middle of the performance, when I should have just been saying random baby-things, I very matter-of-factly turn to the audience, and say "Can we skip this part? I forgot my line".)

Whether or not they're fundies, no one deserves to go through this, and I hope they're all doing okay.

I work in downtown Greenville. The parking garage is only a few blocks from my office. When I first started here I passed it every day, until I found a shorter route. I saw the headlines about the death but was busy this weekend & never clicked on the link.

I've never even heard of Patch the Pirate (& I'm very glad about that.)

I knew about Rick Warren son, then there is this one, what I was wondering about is who will be the next since the whole theory or 3's. These deaths do shine a light though on Christianity and what it means for mental health.

And what might that shining light reveal about Christianity and mental health? I ask as a Christian who has survived her brothers suicide (he declined meds to treat his depressive disease after seeing Senator Eagleton's career forestalled by revelations of the Senator's treatments). Also as the survivor of an agnostic friend's suicide - said friend refused treatment others than drugs and counseling for her own reasons.

If indeed the young man had Schizophrenia, it would be an enlightening read for anyone interested to read "Welcome Silence," a memoir of life with schizophrenia by a woman who seems to have been cured of it. I'll post her name in an ETA. She considered and attempted suicide but not because of religion - instead she saw it as her only escape from a literally tormenting disease.

I'm not that active here so folks might not realize that confrontation is not my style and I'm not looking for a fight - just dialog. The Christianity I've grown old in treats mental illness the same as physical illness. Just my experience, but I've had more than my share (JMHO, there).

ETA the book details: author is Carol North, MD.

www.amazon.com/WELCOME-SILENCE-CAROL-NO ... 0788099272

IFB christianity does not treat mental illness the same as physical illness at all. Basically they try to pray it away, like they try to pray away the gay. It's adds more stress and usually creates even more issues for people who are already suffering because they get tons of additional guilt put on them that they can't pray right or trust God right or read the right Bible verses enough. Look up Nouthetic counseling. It's biblical counseling. That's the most help that these people get. Mental illness is considered a huge weakness of the spirit and using drugs is highly highly discouraged.

Additionally suicide comes with an additional guilt trip. I was always taught that if you killed yourself you would go to hell. So if you were suffering you were just to suffer for Christ. To kill yourself was the easy way out and not ok. You just needed to let Christ work through you a little more.....a little more...... Suffering for Christ is suppose to be this honor in and of it's self.

It's a really sick and fucked up system.

Nouthetic counseling is a crock.

IBLP / ATI Christianity is not all of Christianity.

I also was taught that suicide was an unforgivable sin - in 1961. In 1990, I challenged that after my brothers swag and the pastor acknowledged that it was a heartless teaching but that it had changed. At this point, the only sect I know if that continue to push that opinion is Baptist and I only have that information from a coleague who's grandpa had been a (Black) Baptist preacher.

And the ones you mention. But TTBOMK it's no longer a pan-Christian teaching, if ever it was.

Archived