IGNORED

Teri Maxwell makes an idol of a microwave cart

johnhugh

The bathroom has plug sockets? How come? (if you don't mind me asking!) using anything electrical in a bathroom is dicing with death here in the UK so what do you do to make it safe? I'd love to be able to plug hair straighteners in nearer the mirror as it would save me having to plug them in on the landing and peering from the doorway :lol:

One of them is next to the door which is the one that is used and I use it to dry my hair. One of them is behind the toilet and I have no idea why anyone would use it because not only would you have to climb behind the toilet to plug in, it just doesn't seem safe. The other one is at the sink but almost at the ceiling so I would have to get a stool to try and reach it. The people who designed my house were crazy. There are all sorts of weird quirks with the house.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But wait! I thought microwaves were of the devil! How can a microwave cart be a faithful servant? It has been corrupted by the microwave!

Teri redeemed the sinful microwave cart to faithful service to God Stevehovah. And that's why she's so upset about having to move it. Cause now it will have to go back to just being a...microwave cart. :shock:

Their newest post shows cappuccino (I think! Not a coffee drinker) maker and the caption "When one is short on sleep, caffeine does help." What a coincidence. :lol:

But, but...but....Pepsi's got caffeine!

My house built in the 1940's has two. One of those were added at a later time. :(

The dining room has one. The living room two. The bathroom three but two of them are in such crazy locations that they don't get used. All the other rooms have two each.

My bathroom only has one socket (just the single plug, not the normal double kind) located on the side of the light fixture on the wall over the mirror. It's basically useless because of our pedestal sink. The nearest one besides that is a double plug located approximately 6 inches below the ceiling in the hallway.

I'm not sure what people were plugging into these crazy places in the 1940s!

When we moved into our new house, it wasn't an issue of outlets but circuit breakers or something like that. We had a microwave, but couldn't use it for the entire first year we were there because it would blow a fuse. Even now our microwave rests on an old sewing cabinet because there just isn't room for it otherwise. We not only have a big microwave (I swear it's from the late 80s/early 90s) we have zero counter space for it on a good day.

My old microwave from grandma that I took to Academy and College is huge and weighs a ton. People are surprised I can't lift it by myself because microwaves just aren't that heavy anymore.

Is is a sin to have the kettle and toaster on at the same time? My house blows a fuse whenever that happens. (Built in the early 70's, renovated and re-done but not without its quirks. 5 double outlets in the kitchen and dining nook plus fridge, oven, microwave and dishwasher).

Could the ceiling-high outlets have been designed for wall-mounted space heaters? My parents have one of these in the main bathroom, and let me tell you, stepping out of the shower into a toasty-warm room is one heck of an idol.

Whenever I think of the lack of outlets in old houses, this scene from A Christmas Story always comes to mind. So true!

4y2f.png

My house was built in 1912. When I was planning to buy it, it had very few outlets, no (proper) grounding, two-prong outlets only, and the wiring was all knob-and-tube with lots of the insulation gone. The entire service to the house was 60 amp, and the fuse box was an actual fuse box, no modern breakers. For some reason the light switches were all quite high up on the wall, too.

I needed to get a federal assistance loan for it, and they said no way, that house is not up to code unless it's completely rewired. The seller was willing to knock the cost off the price, so - it got rewired. It has 200 amps of modern service, with breakers...

...and more outlets than I ever imagined. I was putting up cupboards along the wall and doing the usual "before I fill these and make them unmovable, let's plug in the wall extension cord to bring the outlet out in front of the shelves" thing, and realized there was NO NEED, plenty of other outlets to use!

Unrelated to all of that I remember going on my school trip for high school - a week of travelling to other parts of Japan on a giant field trip, basically. This was the 80's, time of feathered hair, but we were forbidden to bring hair dryers of any kind. The kind of places we were staying, if all those girls plugged in appliances it would blow the fuses.

Whenever I think of the lack of outlets in old houses, this scene from A Christmas Story always comes to mind. So true!

Heh. Indeed. You remember seeing PSAs about how that was dangerous? The dreaded "octopus outlets"... and yet all the electronics stores would sell "double outlets" "triple outlets" that you plugged into one outlet and got two more on the end, etc...

When we moved into our new house, it wasn't an issue of outlets but circuit breakers or something like that. We had a microwave, but couldn't use it for the entire first year we were there because it would blow a fuse. Even now our microwave rests on an old sewing cabinet because there just isn't room for it otherwise. We not only have a big microwave (I swear it's from the late 80s/early 90s) we have zero counter space for it on a good day.

My parents built their house about 15 years ago. If the dishwasher and microwave are run at the same time it trips the circuit breaker. The fridge and the lights are on the same circuit too.

My apartment has at least 6 outlets in the kitchen, but they are all upside down! All of the outlets in my apartment complex were installed this way. (Cheap foreign labor is the rumored cause). I've gotten used to them and other than it being difficult to find plug in style air fresheners, it is not too annoying.

Love that scene. Have lived that scene. Including the dad's loud "frackin-racka-facka"s in the basement as he changes the fuse.

The tiny guest cabin on my property is circa 1920ish. It has one plug in the kitchen that has gone totally octopus. Time to add a leg lamp to the snarl....

In my earlier days, I rented an apartment in midtown Memphis that was the attic of an apartment building built in 1905. It had COTTON insulation in the breaker box which used glass fuses. I had a 20' X 20' kitchen with a double outlet over the sink- that's it, other than the plug for the fridge and stove! No cabinets whatsoever, but I did have a walk-in shelved pantry. My microwave had to be plugged in an outlet in the living room via extension cord. Yes, I used a microwave cart! But I never knelt down and prayed to it, so I guess I never made an idol out of it.

The apartment was odd. Besides the huge kitchen, I had a huge bathroom with old clawfoot bathtub and pedestal sink, a gigantic bedroom, an entrance hallway that was 10' x 10' and a tiny living room. If you pulled out the futon, there was no room to walk through, so I ended up buying a folding coffee table I could stick in the corner when I had overnight company. There was also a tiny door that led to the neighbor's apartment, he had it's twin on the other side. Sadly, it was torn down recently to make room for a car wash. I guess the owner died because she was ancient when I lived there. When I went to sign the lease, she informed me that it had a shuffleboard court out back, if I had an inclination to play shuffleboard. I guess at one time, that was a fantastic sign of the luxury within. If you live in Memphis, you will know the location immediately. The backyard dumped out at the Piggly Wiggly on Madison. There were 3 drag bars within staring distance. I was awakened one night by 2 Marilyn Monroes and a Dorothy from Wizard of Oz walking down the street singing "It's raining men".

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2013 at 10:52 AM, Black Aliss said:

Hey, they used A Beka textbooks. What more could they possibly need? I mean, you got your World History textbook that teaches you that slaves in the US were generally treated well by their owners, but slavery was still kind of bad because it made people in Africa suspicious of the white missionaries who came to save their souls.

OK, catching up on old threads.  Are you freaking SERIOUS about A Beka curriculum? Do you have a link or snapshots of some of their texts, any subject, any level? (Think it was an A Beka thingie I saw the other day on FJ, talking about what we don't know about electricity. Grabbed my dear spouse out of the bathtub to check it--he's got a BS in physics and is an electronics engineer---and he totally HOWLED over how bad it was.)  I LUVVVVVVS trainwrecks!:trainwreck:

Oh, dearest Goddess. Just hit the later link to Wonkette for the A Beka: am starting on page 7 and working forwards. 

For the love of God, Montresor! Send the rescue ferrets fast...and lots of brain bleach.

:562479351e8d1_wtf(2):

Archived