IGNORED

Weight Training

Maggie Mae

Does anyone else lift? I do a full body workout 3x week.

Does anyone else lift? I do a full body workout 3x week.

I don't, but I'd really like to start incorporating lifting into my workout routine as its own thing separate from cardio and basic bodyweight strength stuff I do.

Do you have any guides for beginners that you found helpful? Is it really possible, in your opinion, to read about lifting and be able to do it without hurting yourself? How did you start - by reading about it and checking your form as you practiced, or with a trainer? Any info you think would be useful for beginners would be great to know, if you don't mind breaking it down for a newbie.

I don't, but I'd really like to start incorporating lifting into my workout routine as its own thing separate from cardio and basic bodyweight strength stuff I do.

Do you have any guides for beginners that you found helpful?

I'd say Starting Strength. Here is a brief explanation of it, with some video links. http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/star ... -strength/

Is it really possible, in your opinion, to read about lifting and be able to do it without hurting yourself?

I'd say that is up to you. I actually started with a friend doing this workout:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workou ... rkout.html

I chose that one for two reasons. The first had to do with the fact that my friend believes, like so many women, that weight training will make you bulky. (This is incorrect, but I will get to that later.) The second was that it used equipment that we had at the gym, with built in safety mechanisms. We still got a complete workout, but as I progressed, I found more efficient exercises.

How did you start - by reading about it and checking your form as you practiced, or with a trainer?

I read about it and checked my form and watched a lot of youtube videos. However, I did have my boyfriend show me how to do a proper squat and deadlift. His dad was a body builder, so he's been very helpful with some tips and tricks, and making sure that I'm not doing anything that will get me hurt. I've never seen a professional trainer. The exercise most likely to cause injury is the deadlift. Start with an empty barbell to get the motion down. Ask a trainer if you don't feel comfortable. Don't rely on watching other people at the gym, half of them are using bad form.

Any info you think would be useful for beginners would be great to know, if you don't mind breaking it down for a newbie.

First up - women are HIGHLY unlikely to get bulky. The women bodybuilders with the almost grotesque bodies are almost all taking supplements. The chemistry of a woman's body makes it very difficult, if not impossible to "bulk up." We don't have a enough testosterone to get bulky naturally. (Well, most of us don't.) This is one of the biggest reasons I have a hard time getting women to come to the gym and do a full body workout with heavy weight. Don't be afraid to lift heavy.

The best exercises to do are squats, deadlifts and bench. These work big muscle groups. Incidentally, squats and deadlifts are impossible to do at Planet Fitness, which is the gym my work pays for. So I go once a week to the training room at the rock gym and use their squat rack and barbells.

Try not to be intimidated by the douches. There are a few at every gym, more at others. There was even a crazy lady at Curves who tried to show me up before I found out they were an anti-choice organization and cancelled my membership. If you are there to workout and not be a jerk, people are generally nice.

Don't use the squat rack for curling. This is against gym etiquette, in every gym. There are youtube videos making fun of people who that. It's because you can curl anywhere in the gym, but you can only do squats at a squat rack.

Please don't use the Smith Machine. Actually, stay away from all the machines, except the cable machine, if possible. But don't use the Smith Machine. Use dumbells or the EZ Curl before you use the Smith Machine. If you start off using the Smith Machine, when you start using free weights, you have a higher chance of injury, because you aren't working the stabalizing muscles. You might be able to bench 50lbs on a Smith Machine, but with a free standing bench, you might be only able to do the bar or bar + 10 lbs. (The bar on the Smith weighs less as well.) The machines are fine, but using free weights will give you a much more efficient workout.

I still do this workout once a week:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/iovate5.htm (Scroll about halfway down.) You just pick one exercise from each box. You should aim for an amount of weight that would give you 2-4 sets of 10-12 reps. Your last rep should be a bit of a struggle. You will be sore the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually just starting my goal is to be able to compete in a local ABA (amateur bodybuilding association) competition. I'm going to start weight training at home with a personal trainer. I never thought I would ever want to body build, but I've started getting into it.

I'm actually just starting my goal is to be able to compete in a local ABA (amateur bodybuilding association) competition. I'm going to start weight training at home with a personal trainer. I never thought I would ever want to body build, but I've started getting into it.

I never though I would be into weight lifting either, but I feel like it's a much more effective workout than just doing cardio for x amount of time 3-4 days a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you familiar with New Rules of Weightlifting for Women? I want to start a program I can do at home. I currently do bootcamp type classes at 5 am I don't know if its my age, my overall bad fitness level, ot the early mornings but I am useless the rest of the day when I do the classes. I keep hoping it will get better.

• 1 month later...
Are you familiar with New Rules of Weightlifting for Women? I want to start a program I can do at home. I currently do bootcamp type classes at 5 am I don't know if its my age, my overall bad fitness level, ot the early mornings but I am useless the rest of the day when I do the classes. I keep hoping it will get better.

I did this program, and I really liked it. I think it's great for someone completely new to lifting, or getting back into it after a long absence.

If you are just starting the bootcamp program you're going to be shot for a while! It takes a bit of time to build endurance.

I lift once a week...and I only really do abs/arms. I'm a runner and I'm trying to build my base for marathon training again right now, so I don't have the time to do it more often. I do vinyasa flow yoga to work on the stabalizing muscles in my hips, but I should probably be doing more hip flexor machines to help with those muscles as well.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you can do New Rules at home. You need a squat rack.

I like it though, it's a good program. The diet information is a little outdated, but YMMV.

I have stopped and started Chalean Extreme, from Beachbody. Just started again, this week, along with doing Turbofire. I like Chalean, love Turbofire.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried exercising with my own weight a few times and it´s pretty intense. There´s an app for it, but DVDs and books as well. But you have to be very careful to follow the instructions, otherwise you can hurt yourself.

I like the programm because I can do it nearly everywhere.

• 2 months later...
On January 5, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Aurora rising said:

I tried exercising with my own weight a few times and it´s pretty intense. There´s an app for it, but DVDs and books as well. But you have to be very careful to follow the instructions, otherwise you can hurt yourself.

I like the programm because I can do it nearly everywhere.

Do you do you are your own gym? That is supposed to be a good program. I am starting Strong Curves over the weekend. I actually started it a month ago and did the first week, then all hell broke loose and I only had time to walk and do mini circuit type workouts at home. I prefer lifting to cardio ant day.

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Do you do you are your own gym? That is supposed to be a good program. I am starting Strong Curves over the weekend. I actually started it a month ago and did the first week, then all hell broke loose and I only had time to walk and do mini circuit type workouts at home. I prefer lifting to cardio ant day.

Never heard of it, I´ll check it out. I have to train more - I was sick over the winter and stopped my training. I need my muscles back.... ! :baseball1:

6 hours ago, Aurora rising said:

Never heard of it, I´ll check it out. I have to train more - I was sick over the winter and stopped my training. I need my muscles back.... ! :baseball1:

It's a bummer how quickly they go. Strong Curves is by Brett Contreas. My spelling may be off. I was going to do Strong Lifts 5x5 which is popular too, and free. I chose SC because it seemed less boreing and I want a nice butt. 

ETA: you can google Strong Curves workouts and get them to see if you are interested. The book is good too.

23 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

It's a bummer how quickly they go. Strong Curves is by Brett Contreas. My spelling may be off. I was going to do Strong Lifts 5x5 which is popular too, and free. I chose SC because it seemed less boreing and I want a nice butt. 

ETA: you can google Strong Curves workouts and get them to see if you are interested. The book is good too.

The problem is that my flat is very small so I cannot store to many sport equipment. But thanks, the program looks interesting.

This summer I have a 4 month outdoor job so I need more muscles. Should be motivation enough....

@Aurora rising I think there is great value in body weight training. If it works for you and you like it- do it.  I noticed last night my mobility is not as great as it used to be. I am soon to be 41. I was kicking a ball in the yard with my son and things like lunging to the ball and changing direction, and quickly accelerating did not come so easy. Yikes! 

On 11.3.2016 at 3:15 PM, Grimalkin said:

@Aurora rising I think there is great value in body weight training. If it works for you and you like it- do it.  I noticed last night my mobility is not as great as it used to be. I am soon to be 41. I was kicking a ball in the yard with my son and things like lunging to the ball and changing direction, and quickly accelerating did not come so easy. Yikes! 

I´m 38 - and I suck at stretching, was never very good but it´s getting worse. I was a week in the dessert and rode camels there - afterwards I was so stretched and fit, it was unbelievable. Unfortunately I cannot get a camel on my balcony...

Archived