IGNORED

Vertical Gardening?

keen23

Does anyone do any vertical gardening? I've been looking at some of the systems available, and I'm not going to plunk down a few $100s to try them out. The other option seems to be very low tech- using shoe bags from the dollar store and hand watering. Has anyone done any vertical gardening? Has it been successful for you? I'm thinking I'd start small with herbs and maybe strawberry plants.

I haven't tried it, but I do remember seeing a system where you buy PVC piping, cut holes in it (don't ask me how, I don't remember :oops: ) and fill with plants and dirt. That should be a fairly cheap way to go for a small test run this year.

I was just at the dollar store looking for some of those shoe organizers! they didn't have any! :( I don't know why, for shallow roots you couldn't just use planters hung against the wall. I want to do this too.

It's not quite vertical gardening but I found Topsy-Turvys at Big Lots for $1.50. I grew tomatoes with them last year and they work OK. I think the show rack is a great idea for smaller things though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how it works, but I've seen vertical gardens made from reused pallets. I can usually find free pallets on craigslist - not sure if it's in your area. Otherwise, you can check dumpsters at places that do a lot of shipping.

• 4 years later...

Archived