IGNORED

Knitted Hoodie

Rita

Purple Body! Orange/red/purple/navy fringe! Black hood! As an art major, I decided to make a purple hoodie with multicolored fringe for a couple that shares tops. One woman is taller, with long arms. The other has broad shoulders and became quite round during the making of the sleeves (they took a while). Now, I've got a sweater with still no hood, the zipper is missing, and the shoulders/sleeves fit neither! I'm starting to hate this sweater.

ARGH!

It's outlasted two relationships! I've moved 3 times, and every time, it mocks me. I tell it fine, I'll finish one part...and then it doesn't fit even more, and I bury it in my closet, underneath the winter boots. :angry-screaming:

The yarn was a gift from one of the couple in 2006, with the understanding that it would become a sweater for the other. 7 years I've toted this thing around the freaking country, and it's still a wreck! Should I turn it into a dozen scarves and hats? :confusion-helpsos:

Yes - repurpose. If a WIP has been around for 7 years and it's not working, then scarf and hat-ify it. See if you can incorporate parts that have already been knitted so that each piece has a story related to the hoodie.

• 9 months later...

Yes! You'll feel so much better if you use the yarn. Don't feel bad, at least you know how to knit.

Thanks for your advice, but I couldn't just let it go without trying again. I took it with me on a visit to see the recipient, and I told them (her and the hoodie) that it was not coming home with me ever again.

It ended up being a hood-less hoodie - just an open front and long sleeves. Comically long sleeves, actually. I'll see if I can get a picture from the owner, if anyone's interested.

There was so much material left over (after nixing the hood), I made scarves for everyone in their family, as suggested.

I think the biggest issue (besides not having a pattern) was not being able to fit it. And the unfortunate fringe I chose. ORANGE AND PURPLE FRINGE. I don't know what I was thinking, since it was meant to be a gift, though, secretly, I still really like it.

(I did make a set of hideous lime green and black hats for a high school team - the bodies were just k2p2 - hard to mess that up, thank goodness. Felted hats done over the winter holidays, well, they may make an appearance in this category. Poor Maxwells, this much freedom of choice to screw up would be too much like f*n, wouldn't it?)

Archived