IGNORED

American Winter

Love

I was flipping through the channels and came across this new HBO Documentary - American Winter.

http://www.americanwinterfilm.com/

I was bawling within minutes of watching this. I started about 20 minutes into the program, and the scene was the mother and son going to the Panera 'pay what you can' cafe for dinner - but its closed. And the mother has no food for her 11 year old son, and she loses it and is so distraught... and the boy tries to comfort her. :(

It hit a little too close to home. My dh and I have had some rough times.... and I did when I was a kid, too. This movie was filmed in my city and reminded me of people I see every day.

By the time it was over, I was so angry at all the assholes out there that try to take away social services, and say that people who need help are lazy. Its such BULLSHIT. The woman I mentioned above was poor and broke because her husband died. Not because she was lazy.

Everyone should have to watch this movie, especially the fundies and hard core right-wing 'anti social services' types.

Damn it, why does it have to be HBO?

I can't watch it, unless they find a way to do one of the following:

1.) Allow their products to stream on one of the following: Netflix or Hulu +

2.) Allow people to pick up an independent subscription to HBO Go.

3.) Allow cable customers in Alaska access to HBOGo with a subscription to HBO.

4.) Allow iTunes purchases of any HBO show WHEN IT COMES OUT.

Obviously #3 is the least preferred option. I don't really want to resubscribe to cable TV and pay for premium channels just so I can watch HBO. But I will not even consider it until I get the same level of service as everyone else in the country. I can't stand watching TV on my TV anymore. I'd much rather watch TV at the gym, on my iPad, or at work, on my computer. My house is not where I watch television.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes these appear on Youtube. For real - I saw season 4 and season 5 of Being Human UK on Youtube (and bought it when it came out on Amazon.)

Archived