IGNORED

Josh Duggar Has a New Job?

weiwei

FREE JINGER DAMMIT!!!!!

Sometimes I wish there was a way to talk to her and help her get out. I know a friend I could go visit in the area... but I have no idea how one would even get close enough to her to offer her a way out.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing Josh didn't "apply" for the job and that it was handed to him just like his house and his car lot were. It will be interesting to see how far his name takes him once the Duggar's show gets cancelled.

I think we're a little too optimistic sometimes in the way that we imagine the children "escaping". I think we have this fantasy that they will look down at themselves one day in disgust, and ragequit religion and their parents entirely, escaping in the middle of the night and bringing their most vulnerable siblings with them.

It's far more likely, at least at first, for them to get these conservative opportunities to just get out from the immediate control of their parents. I don't doubt that some day we will see some very liberal, independent, and very pissed Duggars, but even if you're unhappy in you beliefs, it takes some time of reflection to figure out why. For now, a "new job" away from the folks may be the best we can expect.

I went to college in DC and was very fortunate with internships and stuff. Even at the most conservative of think tanks or lobbying organizations most employees have undergraduate if not advanced degrees. Yes their values are conservative, but they still grew up with an actual education, usually a top tier education. Everyone wants to work in DC, because the number of applicants far out way open jobs the people who stand out and get hired are the cream of the crop. These jobs need educated people, they can't risk hiring a moron who could tarnish their image.

I'd honestly love to watch a show about Smuggar trying to make it in the real world, where education is valued above most other qualities.

I think we're a little too optimistic sometimes in the way that we imagine the children "escaping". I think we have this fantasy that they will look down at themselves one day in disgust, and ragequit religion and their parents entirely, escaping in the middle of the night and bringing their most vulnerable siblings with them.

It's far more likely, at least at first, for them to get these conservative opportunities to just get out from the immediate control of their parents. I don't doubt that some day we will see some very liberal, independent, and very pissed Duggars, but even if you're unhappy in you beliefs, it takes some time of reflection to figure out why. For now, a "new job" away from the folks may be the best we can expect.

Re: the bold, that's a good point. Conservative opportunities that are seen as OK by both J'kids and J'parents may be the first baby steps that gets them out.

I always thought Congressional pages were at least college grads in terms of education. Josh's SOTDRT education nowhere comes close. Even in the very unlikely possibility that he does become a page, he's not going to mix in well with other pages on the Hill. Plus I can't see that job paying enough.

Wanna bet that Josh gets into a traffic accident while snapping Instagram photos the very first week he's there? After that there will be more lopsided photos of folks on the Metro when he decides he's too scared to drive around there.

The Page program was discontinued a few years ago. Pages were high school students.

My ex-husband currently rents out his crappy townhouse, in a crappy development, in a nice suburb 25 miles west of DC in VA. 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths and he's getting $1650/mo. My fiancé rents out a house a few miles closer to DC. 3000 sq. ft., 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, full basement. He gets about $3000/mo and it is underpriced.

Isn't that area where they shot that movie in which the "boys" were extras? Firefart or something? Maybe he's going to work for the "studio". :think:

His job may be related to LifeUnited.org, the website/coalition his family helped create (Duggar Family Blog, 1/25/13). I also think that he'd probably move to No. VA vs. Maryland since it's somewhat more conservative and there is a fundie presence.

OOOHHHH good catch! I think you're probably right. FRC may be too "big" for a nobody like smugs.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but just wanted to chime in on the attitudes of politically minded DCites towards education:

I got snubbed TWICE at a DC party because I did not go to a prestigious enough university.

Thing is? It was an Ivy League school. Just not, apparently, the "right" Ivy.

Josh has no chance. Don't fundie politicians have a pool of Patrick Henry grads to choose from if they want intelligent conservatives?

I wonder if it has anything to do with living adjacent to a dump?

The Compound is next to a landfill? I hope they don't use well water. Ack!

I agree with Sparkles, it's not what you know but who know. Although that might not be the case in DC. I'm really surprised at J'chelle's comments. I didn't think they we're this neurotic over controlling their children's lives. It's very scary and if those quotes are real then it certainly explains why the older children are still living at home, at least partly. I guess they haven't found spouses that are willing to stay nearby and not move to a big city. And what the fuck at the Wal-Mart comment! Yeah, I'm sure that's it, Michelle! Jinger's aspirations are to live closer to a Wal-Mart and nothing else! :roll:

I agree, it seems like while the Duggars might not have read 1984 or The Handmaid's Tale, they do agree with the idea of those being how-to books since they really do want to make the US into a theocracy. Personally, I live just north of the reddest county in a blue state, and at least one of their Congress representatives was a nut long before the Tea Party.

Minnesota?

I've been a long time "fan" of the Duggars. Few things bring me as much enjoyment and fodder for my snark cannon as 17/18/19 Kids and Counting. But the thought of Smuggar Jr. gaining any more spotlight for his single-issue platform just pisses me off. Over the course of a couple of years I have watched Josh grow up from a serial hand fornicator to a self-righteous D-list celebrity. His cult family is entertaining to watch in the same way that I HAVE TO stare at car accidents when I drive past. But on his own, alone with his cultish thoughts, Josh is just gross. His belief system is archaic at best and since getting married his sense of entitlement has grown along with his waistline.

Apologies for the rant, I realize I'm not really adding value to the discussion. Jim Boob is savvy, I'll give him that, but up until now his whole family has been a harmless fascination. The possibility of Josh moving to D.C. takes most of the fun out watching the Duggars for me. :?

The Page program was discontinued a few years ago. Pages were high school students.

And yet...they were still probably far better educated than Smuggar! :lol:

I've been a long time "fan" of the Duggars. Few things bring me as much enjoyment and fodder for my snark cannon as 17/18/19 Kids and Counting. But the thought of Smuggar Jr. gaining any more spotlight for his single-issue platform just pisses me off. Over the course of a couple of years I have watched Josh grow up from a serial hand fornicator to a self-righteous D-list celebrity. His cult family is entertaining to watch in the same way that I HAVE TO stare at car accidents when I drive past. But on his own, alone with his cultish thoughts, Josh is just gross. His belief system is archaic at best and since getting married his sense of entitlement has grown along with his waistline.

Apologies for the rant, I realize I'm not really adding value to the discussion. Jim Boob is savvy, I'll give him that, but up until now his whole family has been a harmless fascination. The possibility of Josh moving to D.C. takes most of the fun out watching the Duggars for me. :?

Having lived within metro distance of DC for many years, I would watch a "reality" show about Mr and Mrs Smuggers Do DC. I think it would be hilarious because neither one has ever lived outside the family compound, or without direct family support. The DC metro area can be quite challenging to live in, and they've never even lived in Little Rock.

As others have noted, it's shockingly expensive, the traffic is ghastly, and people can be pretty snobbish about credentials. Josh and Anna are innocents in this environment.

I agree with another poster that this won't last.

I live right outside DC as well, and there's no way that they can avoid becoming more "lite" if they stick it out here. I'm about to make a sweeping generalization here, but I'd say that the DC-Metro area's version of "conservative" is not the same as inmany other parts of the country, at least from what I hear from friends who grew up elsewhere. There are plenty of conservatives and Republicans (which are not always the same thing), but there's a much more cosmopolitan vibe to it all than the type of conservative we see on many of the blogs discussedhere.

Josh has a job in DC? I think I'll just sit back and see what crops up in the National Enquirer. It's only a matter of time now...

And Michele...I do believe TLC is revving the engines and aiming that bus toward you guys....why else would Radar Online publish the damage control quote "Jinger wants to live 15 minutes from a Walmart"?

I'm from Duggarland...I know where they live. They ARE NOT in the middle of nowhere. They are a 15 minute drive from the Fayettevile Mall, Sam's Club, Target, Olive Garden and YES!!! WALMART(S)!

I don't wish it on him, but I don't see any REAL escape until Jim Bob checks out. Maybe not even then, if we're right about Michelle driving the train.

"Their goal is "dominion"--to put in place a theocracy in the USA. "

Yes. It's a real problem in the military (where they also groom people) and there are websites out there devoted to this "dominion" movement.

So, considering that AR has got to be the Walmart capital of the world, I decided to map it. THEY ALREADY LIVE 15 minutes from Walmart.

Full of shit, indeed :|

Well, you know, they can't go to that one because that's where the :whistle: minorities shop. I'm sure Jinger prefers the one on New Hope Road in Rogers, just down from mega Crosschurch, where all the white people are.

Josh has a job in DC? I think I'll just sit back and see what crops up in the National Enquirer. It's only a matter of time now...

And Michele...I do believe TLC is revving the engines and aiming that bus toward you guys....why else would Radar Online publish the damage control quote "Jinger wants to live 15 minutes from a Walmart"?

I'm from Duggarland...I know where they live. They ARE NOT in the middle of nowhere. They are a 15 minute drive from the Fayettevile Mall, Sam's Club, Target, Olive Garden and YES!!! WALMART(S)!

I really hope TLC is aiming the bus towards the Duggars. But a part of me thinks that TLC still has a boner for the Duggars. I think the person that has the biggest boner for the Duggars is Sean Overbeeke the executive producer.

I'm skeptical that this fundie push for theocracy will amount to anything. We've lived under 8 years of Bush with his catering to the religious right, and we still don't have anything close to what the Santorum, Duggars et al wants. Plus, US politics the way it is, religious conservatives' time in the sun will wax and wane with each election.

For the Duggar brand of conservationism, it's an even harder sell. No TV? Dresses-only? No birth control? Hey, there's a reason they have a TV show and I don't.....

I predict that Josh will go to DC, do his bit, not make a dent in anything, and come back to Arkansas. I guess he could run for local office like his father, but that will be as far as it goes. I can't imagine the Duggars gaining a state level seat or doing more than pushing for stricter alcohol ordinances (and even that is debatable). They're like Palin. A loud conservative voice with no political power.

Someone like Santorum is a real danger because he is educated and has more mainstream appeal than the Duggars. I hope Josh and Anna actually learn from their experiences in DC. However, knowing the Duggar level of ignorance, I don't foresee great things for young Josh.

I really hope TLC is aiming the bus towards the Duggars. But a part of me thinks that TLC still has a boner for the Duggars. I think the person that has the biggest boner for the Duggars is Sean Overbeeke the executive producer.

Well, Sean will have to find some new work when the show is retired, so he has a vested interest in its continuation.

Josh taking some sort of anti-women lobbyist work in DC is a sure sign they know the show's end is near.

God's in his heaven and all is right with the world. :)

Any day now we can expect J.D.'s courtship. He has his own business and he will probably get Grandma's house too. And if they take Jinger with them, she just might be the first to escape!

Any day now we can expect J.D.'s courtship. He has his own business and he will probably get Grandma's house too. And if they take Jinger with them, she just might be the first to escape!

Yeah, Josh will be busy working until late (doing coffee runs & filing). Anna will be too busy with the babies to be bothered to watch over Jinger.

Yikes! I don't know what kind of place they're going to afford in the DC metro area. Seems like the homes would be a lot pricier than in Arkansas.

You bet it is! An average sized townhouse here (around 2,000 square feet) will run you near half a million in the suburbs, but closer to a million in the city itself. And then of course in the DC metro area, unlike Arkansas, you are almost certainly going to be paying an addition HOA fee on top of your mortgage payments. I've lived all over the country, and DC is by far the most expensive place I've lived (haven't lived in NYC though).

Archived