IGNORED

Introduce Yourself - Part 2

happy atheist

Hello, everyone!

My name is Papagena because I studied theater in college and still am involved with local productions. Plus, it's been my handle on other forums for a long time. :)

I'm 29 years old, married and have three daughters. We will NOT be educating them around the dining room table or any other surface in our home. ;)

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-132-14451997416964_thumb.jpg

The FJ Dancing Welcome Ferret welcomes all the new folks.

Now that you've posted your intro, don't be shy. Post any questions you have in SOTDRT and be sure to check out the Who's Who summaries and the resources :)

Hello. I'm Canadian, in my 40s. I was raised atheist for the first 9 or 10 years of my life and then my mother joined an intense, Pentecostal church. Spent my tween and teen years reading and listening to James Dobson and co. Had a baby, then spent the next few years figuring out that I'm actually gay. Didn't go over so well with the Pentecosts. Went to school and got a degree instead. Two years ago I moved to a small community with a large fundamentalist core because my partner got a job here. I consider myself atheist but I'm fascinated by fundamentalism. I mostly lurk because I'm shy but I want to try and include myself more.

Hi. My name is Stephanie and I learned about this site thru ontd(lols). And I'll probably be a bit of a lurker because I'm a bit shy, even on the internet.

I like your avatar. I cried when Sophia came out of that barn. I mean I bawled. That was some powerful teevee.

:crying-yellow:

Hi all. I've been lurking for a long while and finally decided to join in.

I'm married and have 4 kids who have been homeschooled since the get-go. For several years I bought into the fundie kingdom/Maxwells/ VF deal hook, line and sinker. I know better now. Actually, after a complete mental breakdown a little over a year ago and having been in therapy and on good meds for over a year, I realize that I bought into it in a vain attempt to feel good about myself, when deep down I loathed myself because of a lot of guilt and shame I was carrying around buried deep from my childhood. My husband and my kids are beyond awesome and have given me so much support and love while I heal.

I used to think I would be a SAHM/SAHW forever. Now, I am going back to school to study biology, to eventually work towards a Ph.D in Marine Biology, which has been my dream since I was 7 years old.

I am a practicing Christian and my faith is extremely important to me, but I am NOT a fundie. The hypocrisy and the salvation/you're a good Christian by works of the VF crowd and the Maxwells really burns me up.

Oh, and last week I got my first tattoo, at age 40-something. It is beyond awesome and I can't wait to get another one.

FJ insider connection: I went to college with Jennie Chancey. She changed, a LOT.

FJ insider connection: I went to college with Jennie Chancey. She changed, a LOT.

Welcome!

But...but....college is teh ebil and women don't need it! What was Miss Jennie doing in such a unholy place :pink-shock:

Welcome!

But...but....college is teh ebil and women don't need it! What was Miss Jennie doing in such a unholy place :pink-shock:

Yeah. Funny how your father being an alum and getting a free ride changed that. But they all repented of it later, doncha know, so it's all peaches and cream. :::gag:::

I had a lot of classes with her, we were actually casual friends. She was a nice girl who wore odd clothes (LHOP looking stuff, petticoats and ankle boots). Her brother was nice. I know she participated in a Liturgical dance group for a bit, performing on stage wearing a leotard and tights. Not very modest. I remember for awhile she had a painfully obvious crush on someone in our circle of friends and we were giggling behind her back about how she followed him around like a puppy.

Hi everyone! I'm a 27 year old female living in LA, very liberal, and agnostic. My fascination with fundies started with the Duggars and all their TV specials. Over the years, I discovered the world of family blogs (Zsu, LiaS, Raising Olives, etc.) and finally stumbled on FJ from Deanna's Blog a few days ago. I'm excited to finally have a place to discuss/snark with others.

'Ello! A while back I saw a special (I think it was Dateline) about the Bates and their (then) upcoming show, 'United Bates of America'. One of the things that bothered me was: Hey, boys! Let's climb trees and the rock wall and hike while the girls sing songs and babysit! (This was on some road trip to a Quiverfull convention, where the Bates would gather with the Duggars and other large families).

I have nothing AGAINST anyone having lots of kids as long as they aren't depending on others' resources to raise them, and that they raise the kids with an open mind. I was raised Catholic and still am Catholic, but my parents NEVER isolated me from other faiths, cultures, religions and beliefs. I could do any sport or activity my brothers did if I had wanted to (I'm female) and there was never ANY gender-role indoctrination. That's what sets my teeth on edge about Quiverfull and similar "movements"--keeping the women in line and in the house!

Anyway....I'm from Texas, and y'all can call me Katie :) I'm the youngest of 5 kids

Hi, im a 34 years old from the USA. Somebody metioned this website on Duggars Without Pity, so i came to check it out.

I'm 36, married (nearly 7 months now) and live in SW England. Like many, my "gateway" fundies were the Duggars - from the first hour long show I was hooked - just the whole clusterfuckery of the whole quiverful/fundie/frumpers/mullet - and I couldn't stop. Hubby laughs at me when I say I'm going to watch my "Fecund Fundamentalist" programme that I've DVR-ed!

I found FJ *ages* ago (I honestly have been lurking, on and off, since Yuku) but only registered relatively recently.

If I'm honest, I struggle with anxiety and depression (partly because I have ME, amongst other physical issues, so I'm often stuck in the house when really I want to be outside doing *stuff*) and partly because I had a pretty shitty childhood - not that I'm blaming that, but there are things that happened that have definitely affected me as an adult. I quite often feel inferior, especially when people (like on here) are so eloquent and educated and not only have opinions, but know how to express them in a way that makes others understand. But I'm working on that, and so I registered (and then got scared and didn't post for ages) and now am hoping to post more.

I'm thinking of doing some studying (PT) and really want to study social science, but am having issues convincing hubster (who is a scientist) that it's not all a load of bunkum.

I'm at 30 yr old married mom to 3. I periodically watch the Duggars. I found a link to this board from a discussion on another forum where they were talking about how the Duggars plan to possibly adopt a baby.

I'm 37, happily married, two kids (twins) and one very sweet dog, work-at-home for a major company and live in the South. I live here primarily because the cost of living is quite low and also my parents are here and they are getting older and need a lot of help. I feel like I belong on another planet most of the time.

Both my sisters are fundies and really bitchy, hateful and judgmental about it. They are also raging racists. I am the primary breadwinner in my family and they act as though my husband is a complete loser because I out earn him. Meanwhile, they are both married to controlling assholes while my husband is kind, loving, and compassionate. My brother is a drug-addict, bi-polar and routinely writes letters to local pastors trying to get them to explain God to him. My MIL frequently sends me emails about how Obama is a communist and everyone who takes any form of benefits is a mooch on the entire country, while she herself takes advantage of every tax benefit program she possibly can and was on welfare when my husband was a child. My sister-in-law continually bashes everyone who thinks abortion is okay. She's had three, that I know of. I can't figure out what the fuck is wrong with any of these people. So basically, I'm here because I'd like to have conversations with people who aren't crazy.

My first online fundie experience was Emily and DNA. I've followed McKMama and her crazy antics for a while, and love to snark on the Duggers regularly.

Hi! I've been lurking for about a year. I first learned about FJ through a comment on one feminist blog or another (probably Shakesville) and was instantly hooked; I've spent more time reading here than I care to admit. I used to enjoy watching the Duggars but gradually wised up to how horrible they (mostly Jim Bob, Michelle, and Josh) are. I love all the hilarious, insightful commentary on them and other fundies, and I especially appreciate reading about other posters' experiences with religion, parenting, and marriage. I was raised in a nonreligious family and am an atheist, and at this point I don't plan to ever marry or have kids, so I get a lot out of reading about what other FJers have gone and are going through in those areas.

Oh, and the snark's great too. :D

I must admit I haven't actively participated on many blogs and I may be replying to the last person introducing herself. I found freejinger a couple of years ago when I had googled MckMama. MckMama was one of my kids elementary art teachers before she married. What a change from the teacher all of the kids loved. Makes my head spin to read where her life path has gone.

Finding this site opened up a whole new box of entertainment for me and I would come by and read every week or so. I just never really thought I had much to contribute. The Duggars piss me off for many reasons. First and foremost is the Duggars and TLC endorsing that "everything is just fine with Josie." I am the mom to a 15 yr old that was born at 25 wks and weighed 1 lb 5 oz. I know a lot of other preemie moms and am part of a preemie group. I don't know of ONE kid that wasn't affected by their prematurity no matter how slight it might seem. Babies just aren't meant to be born that early. We consider ourselves lucky at how son is doing. But....we have spent years and many dollars on therapies to improve his outcome.

I quit watching the Duggars after Josie was born. Never could watch a whole show without being irritated and her birth was the final straw.

This site has some great humor/ sarcasm, some very good writing, and I think some regular contributors that are quite intelligent and pragmatic. It took me while to register after the changes at the end of last year but, I really missed my freejinger fix.

post-132-14451997797387_thumb.gif

Welcome new peoples :)

The FJ Welcome Ferret is off doing ferret stuff, so she sent the FJ Orange Kitty in her place.

PS: graphic looks like crap on the black theme. I didn't mask it :(

Longtime lurker of the old forums and just recently signed up to post. Already got off to a bad start on the SNARKY part of the boards I'm afraid, but that's to be expected with people who only post to bash others.

54, divorced, mother of 2 adult kids. I was a SAHM for 20 years and recently started working again. I grew up in a non religious home but what thrown into a Baptist environment as a teenager because my parents thought it was "safer" for me. Don't ask why. I've been on both sides, inside and out, but was never a believer. I do play well with others though so I faked my way through life until I finally got out on my own.

I've been involved in Christian debate for a long time and even had one of my own kids go through the whole youth group, conversion, deconversion thing. I am solidly agnostic while both my kids label themselves atheist. I was drawn here after reading up on the Homeschool Movement and found a link someone posted .

All round nice normal woman, but I come online so I speak my mind about various topics. I still can't bring myself to do it IRL. I need to live among these people so I keep my head down and my mouth closed most of the time. Nice to be here.

Hi- I am not new to FJ, though I am new to posting here. I've lurked, off and on, for quite a few years now. I am a Christian and have been raised in some fundie-lite churches, though my parents are in no way fundies- lite or otherwise. I do come from a larger family- 7 kids, but mainly because it's blended (she had 3, he had 2, had 2 more together) and well, my parents LOVE kids! They were actually the kind of parents who had a large family, but THEY took care of us, not us taking care of each other. I was also homeschooled for the last 5yrs of my education, but I did go on to complete 2 yrs of college. I recently made the connection between one of the "missionaries" my church currently supports and the Keller family. Not real sure how feel about this, since I really don't agree with much of the "quiverfull" movement. (I like to think of myself as a "center of the road" Christian- not extremely conservative, but not extremely liberal either) But I don't "tithe" either, so it's not like any of my money is going to these crazies!

Anyway- I'm also a single mama to 2 beautiful daughters (10yrs and 15 months). I'm not really sure I have much to offer in the way of "posting", but I thought I would at least post an intro. :) I do enjoy lurking though!

I'm 19, a blogger who ate the VF lies during my homeschool years. I've been a grad for 3 yrs. Still trying to find my way out of that mess of dominionism, patriarchy, and whatnot. I think I'm almost there. I'm still a Christian, just not a fundie. I've dealt with some fundies and as I've walked out, a lot of ignoring me and making me feel alone has driven me away from them. I love to think in terms of grey and use logic welcome all manner of people into my life, which, of course, scares the daylights out of a lot of them. I've lurked on the old FJ, but I decided to see what was happening here on the new one and made an account.

I deal with a ton of fundie bloggers all the time. Some follow my blog, which is a rambling of my sort of fringe fundie, sort of "trying to say i'm not fundie anymore" thoughts. I'm trying to get to a state of being a relatively normal Christian without overthinking it and following 5 magic rules for victory. I have some blog friends who sweetly email me about their sewing exploits and write for YLCF/KG. It gets old fast. They don't do anything other than sit at home. As a 19 year old gal with a job who is about to move to Africa as a missionary, I'm more concerned with getting insurance, shipping freight, and learning language than I am with Paleo diets, courtship and sewing. I mean, seriously. Real life means you actually have to interact with people, not email and surf the blogworld all day and work on mommy and daddy's farm.

After reading the posts here about YLCF/KG I really understand a lot of the treatment I've received for disagreeing with this lifestyle. I'm on YLCF/KG's blacklist, because I briefly and generally questioned one writer's intent last month and none of my comments have gone through since. I'm a polluting influence!!!!! :dance:

So that's why I'm here. To rant, share my mind, and get away from the blogging SAHD fundies. If anyone wants a list of SAHD bloggers, I have quite a few to share. I have open ears for anyone who is frustrated with blogger fundies. PM me.

I'm 19, a blogger who ate the VF lies during my homeschool years. I've been a grad for 3 yrs. Still trying to find my way out of that mess of dominionism, patriarchy, and whatnot. I think I'm almost there. I'm still a Christian, just not a fundie. I've dealt with some fundies and as I've walked out, a lot of ignoring me and making me feel alone has driven me away from them. I love to think in terms of grey and use logic welcome all manner of people into my life, which, of course, scares the daylights out of a lot of them. I've lurked on the old FJ, but I decided to see what was happening here on the new one and made an account.

I deal with a ton of fundie bloggers all the time. Some follow my blog, which is a rambling of my sort of fringe fundie, sort of "trying to say i'm not fundie anymore" thoughts. I'm trying to get to a state of being a relatively normal Christian without overthinking it and following 5 magic rules for victory. I have some blog friends who sweetly email me about their sewing exploits and write for YLCF/KG. It gets old fast. They don't do anything other than sit at home. As a 19 year old gal with a job who is about to move to Africa as a missionary, I'm more concerned with getting insurance, shipping freight, and learning language than I am with Paleo diets, courtship and sewing. I mean, seriously. Real life means you actually have to interact with people, not email and surf the blogworld all day and work on mommy and daddy's farm.

After reading the posts here about YLCF/KG I really understand a lot of the treatment I've received for disagreeing with this lifestyle. I'm on YLCF/KG's blacklist, because I briefly and generally questioned one writer's intent last month and none of my comments have gone through since. I'm a polluting influence!!!!! :dance:

So that's why I'm here. To rant, share my mind, and get away from the blogging SAHD fundies. If anyone wants a list of SAHD bloggers, I have quite a few to share. I have open ears for anyone who is frustrated with blogger fundies. PM me.

I'm assuming your blog is the same as your username here, so here it goes.

I am so very glad that you are moving away from the fundie life. But please, please realize how offensive and non-logical it is for you to go and try to save the Muslims or the people in Africa or give people million dollar tracts. Welcome people into your life and accept them for who they are, don't try to change them. I know you are young and just coming out of fundiedom so you have a ways to go, but I hope you do logically start questioning a lot of these things.

ETA: If you don't want to answer(and if you do it should be in a thread of it's own)that is fine, but since you have lurked here so long I wonder if any of the threads where these pet issues of yours are debated ever make you stop and ponder what you believe? Like the anti-choice threads, the Bible not being literal threads, mocking people who give out tracts threads, the damage done by Christian missionary threads. Have those made you stop and think about what you have been taught to believe at all? Just curious.

Just wanted to clarify: Just because I'm not a fundie, doesn't mean I'm not a Christian. I am. I still want to share my faith with others- that's the great commission. I accept them and I'm friends with them, I don't force people to change or tell them to live a certain way under certain rules. I tell them about Christ and leave it up to them. It's my choice.

ETA: Yes, I have read all of those forums. :)

Just wanted to clarify: Just because I'm not a fundie, doesn't mean I'm not a Christian. I am. I still want to share my faith with others- that's the great commission. I accept them and I'm friends with them, I don't force people to change or tell them to live a certain way under certain rules. I tell them about Christ and leave it up to them. It's my choice.

ETA: Yes, I have read all of those forums. :)

Would you like to start a thread about if any of those threads have changed your mind or caused you to think or is this not something you really want to talk about.

No, I'd start a thread if I wanted to. I'm just kind of amused you'd jump to a conclusion that I'm one of those Grace Mally 'let's save the whole plane on the way to Singapore' types (I happen to know Grace, I was in the whole Bright Lights shebang for a while too, and yes, the Mallys are fundie-max but like you said, don't try to change them, just accept them ;-) ). I know the whole "western Christian missionary" thing reeks of colonialism and kinism and racism. I know oodles of Muslims who are brilliant, wonderful people, and admittedly, a couple who are stinkers but I still try to be friendly. Nobody forces them to come back. They just do. I don't go door to door and babble at people about Jesus. I may sound like it, but I'm trying to distance myself from that, and online, when your rep is completely "I love Jesus because the Bible told me so yay us!" trying to show inward thought changes toward a more, neutral, logical blogging is hard. At least for me. I don't want to upset the fruit basket for my followers who happen to be down the fundie hole. Anyway, PM me if you want to keep talking. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

On with the introductions...

No, I'd start a thread if I wanted to. I'm just kind of amused you'd jump to a conclusion that I'm one of those Grace Mally 'let's save the whole plane on the way to Singapore' types (I happen to know Grace, I was in the whole Bright Lights shebang for a while too, and yes, the Mallys are fundie-max but like you said, don't try to change them, just accept them ;-) ). I know the whole "western Christian missionary" thing reeks of colonialism and kinism and racism. I know oodles of Muslims who are brilliant, wonderful people, and admittedly, a couple who are stinkers but I still try to be friendly. Nobody forces them to come back. They just do. I don't go door to door and babble at people about Jesus. I may sound like it, but I'm trying to distance myself from that, and online, when your rep is completely "I love Jesus because the Bible told me so yay us!" trying to show inward thought changes toward a more, neutral, logical blogging is hard. At least for me. I don't want to upset the fruit basket for my followers who happen to be down the fundie hole. Anyway, PM me if you want to keep talking. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

On with the introductions...

Actually I read your blog before writing a response to you. Like I said it is fine if you don't want to have that sort of discussion. I did start a thread about one of your blog posts because it had nothing to do with Christianity and everything with you being mean.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived