IGNORED

Skiing

crazyforkate

Hi FJ skiiers! I come from a town in British Columbia where skiing is pretty much universal. When I was ten months old and learned to stand, my dad excitedly put me on skis in the front yard, even though there wasn't any snow yet! Mostly my skiing has been in and out of British Columbia, Alberta and Washington, but I did enjoy a vacation in Tahoe several years back. I haven't hit the slopes much since my move to Toronto, but am definitely fond of the sport and try to get back to it every time I'm in BC. There's something so invigorating about hurtling yourself down an icy slope at high speed, no? It wrecked my knees, but totally worth it :D

One of my bucket list goals is to ski in far away and less frequented resorts, including Chimbulak in Kazakhstan and Afri-Ski in Lesotho. Maybe one day.

I do more XC skiing than downhill these days, but I did enjoy downhill, just not the cost.

• 2 years later...

I'm a professional Ski & Snowboard instructor, so obviously I think that snow sports are pretty ace. :D

Most of my skiing has been in Washington state, USA, although I did get to ski at Les Gets in the Alps once, which was incredible and awesome and breathtaking, and the snow was soooooo fluffy. 

• 1 month later...

I do some XC skiing but I've never done downhill. I've always wanted to though!

One of my former colleagues/ work buddies was a professional downhill ski racer in the 90's. He got to travel the world as a high schooler going to competitions.

My husband and I used to ski a lot back in the day.   There's Vernon Valley in NJ, Camelback in PA, Killington in VT, and Gray Rocks in Quebec.  We loved Gray Rocks because it was a one week ski school.  Sometimes we would stay an extra few days and head over to Tremblant to practice.  Sadly, Vernon is now Mountain Creek and expensive, Gray Rocks doesn't do winters anymore....   We wanted to go out West to ski powder but its doubtful that David will ever ski again - he had rods and screws put in his spine.  He used to do moguls, still puts on his boots to shovel the driveway.

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2013 at 7:10 PM, crazyforkate said:

Hi FJ skiiers! I come from a town in British Columbia where skiing is pretty much universal. When I was ten months old and learned to stand, my dad excitedly put me on skis in the front yard, even though there wasn't any snow yet! Mostly my skiing has been in and out of British Columbia, Alberta and Washington, but I did enjoy a vacation in Tahoe several years back. I haven't hit the slopes much since my move to Toronto, but am definitely fond of the sport and try to get back to it every time I'm in BC. There's something so invigorating about hurtling yourself down an icy slope at high speed, no? It wrecked my knees, but totally worth it :D

One of my bucket list goals is to ski in far away and less frequented resorts, including Chimbulak in Kazakhstan and Afri-Ski in Lesotho. Maybe one day.

I grew up outside Vail, CO. I'm a Canadian citizen and want to move to Lake Louise, AB in the next year or so.

On 11/19/2015 at 2:06 AM, Terahlyanwe said:

I'm a professional Ski & Snowboard instructor, so obviously I think that snow sports are pretty ace. :D

Most of my skiing has been in Washington state, USA, although I did get to ski at Les Gets in the Alps once, which was incredible and awesome and breathtaking, and the snow was soooooo fluffy. 

PSIA?

• 8 months later...

Sort of! I've been trained according to PSIAA principles/guidelines, but I haven't taken any of their Levels. My bosses say I could pass Lvls 1&2 in ski and snowboard fairly easily, but the pay boost isn't tempting enough for a part-time instructor like me to feel like it's worth the inconvenience (yearly fees to maintain it, traveling to another mountain to get it, the cost of taking the tests...).

Archived