IGNORED

Drawing/sketching

LilMissMetaphor

Disclaimer: I am not skilled (at all), but there is a school of thought that you can teach yourself to sketch reasonably well with a bit of time and effort.

A couple of years ago I bought Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards, and made my way through most of the exercises. I liked it, although it got a bit too mystical at times (get yourself into a trance, etc.) I did find some good tips and help in there.

Recently I just picked up Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson and though I've just started, I'm liking it better. It's very direct and practical.

Anyone else like to draw or sketch?

I like drawing, I would like to draw my own comic book but I am not that good at drawing, I still draw like I am about 10. My younger sister is amazing at drawing, both realistic and cartoon/anime style people and draws for her own webcomic. I wish I could draw that well.

I can draw things that are quite cute though, theres this one story me and my friend made which was hilarious, and I drew the pictures for it.

I just cant draw things as well as I would like to :(

I draw. I've had my work described as a cross between anime and realism. I've taken several art classes in the past and mostly do fashion plates and sci-fi works.

I'm an art student, but I'm taking a bit of a break to feel around art-wise and rediscover myself. Art school is LOADS more work than people think it is, and several combined stress factors were driving me nuts. :(

I seem to draw fish, dinosaurs, robots, and mermaids. I also enjoy painting flowers.

Ilovejellybeans, would you mind sharing your sister's comic with us?

Disclaimer: I am not skilled (at all), but there is a school of thought that you can teach yourself to sketch reasonably well with a bit of time and effort.

A couple of years ago I bought Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards, and made my way through most of the exercises. I liked it, although it got a bit too mystical at times (get yourself into a trance, etc.) I did find some good tips and help in there.

Recently I just picked up Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson and though I've just started, I'm liking it better. It's very direct and practical.

Anyone else like to draw or sketch?

Thanks for the book suggestions. My new books arrived in an Amazon.com box today. Drawing upside down pictures will be a new experience.

I'm not good enough to go first. :oops:

Aww, I'm sure your pictures are lovely. Everyone starts somewhere. I wish I could remember what the thread was called, but there was an ongoing art journal type thread on conceptart.org where a guy went from doing scribbles to having his stuff in art galleries. :)

I have a friend who is an artist and she agrees that ANYONE can learn to draw if they practice, practice, practice. Her work is beautiful. I am jellus! I would love to be able to draw and I have about a million drawing books. My problem is the practice, practice, practice thing. I never seem to have time to just sit and practice, which she says is important. Just making time to practice. One day I hope to. I mostly just do little cartoony doodley things right now.

Here is one I did a few years ago. It kind of looks like shit here because this is a picture vs a scan, so excuse the quality of the picture please.

post-132-14451996459977_thumb.jpg

I agree that with anything practice is the key. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't practice you're not going to get anywhere.

I think your drawing is good, Curious.

My friend requested a semi-specific drawing for her new daughter's nursery. I've got the specifics that she wants down in my work in progress. Let there be art nouveau I haven't got the slightest idea where I'm going with this...

post-3409-14451996509359_thumb.jpg

Curious, Claddagh, your pictures are lovely. :) I especially love the hair on the art nouveau figure. I actually did an art nouveau series at school last semester. I'm just going to link because there's nekkid mermaids and I'm not sure I'm allowed to post boobies here. :lol:

http://cloverstamps.tumblr.com/post/353 ... ass-theres

I also did two more : http://cloverstamps.tumblr.com/post/378 ... roject-for

but those ones I want to redo since I feel like the coloring was a bit ham-fisted. I am a master procrastinator and gave myself the same amount of time to do both of those as I did for the first one. :oops:

Keep posting pictures, everyone, I love to see what other people are drawing.

My drawings are more weird, with inanimate objects coming to life and given personalities, or just based on weird things.

quiveringuterus_zpsa1f97be7.png

Drew this while watching 19 Kids and Counting.

It is a sad uterus.

My drawings on paper are better though, I have drawn several cartoons based on me and my friend, and theyre adorable and so expressive, and I love them. I wish I could draw that well on the computer.

I wish I could draw on the computer too. I usually just do my drawing on paper and then color them digitally when I need do. Most of my friends draw almost exclusively on their computers and poop out great stuff but I've never really gotten the hang of it myself.

I wish I could draw on the computer too. I usually just do my drawing on paper and then color them digitally when I need do. Most of my friends draw almost exclusively on their computers and poop out great stuff but I've never really gotten the hang of it myself.

I can do coloring on the computer but not so much drawing. If I had a tablet or something like that I might be able to do better.

Some of the art people do on computers is just amazing. I'm blown away by the talent some folks have.

Another one I have to finish up and color in.

post-3409-1445199668339_thumb.jpg

Yeah, tablets are almost a necessity for digital coloring. There's people who do crazy complex drawings by mouse and I just don't see how they do it. Luckily there's a few decent cheaper brands out there these days for those who can't afford even a wacom bamboo.

I do pencil sketching. I need to draw everything realistic, can't do anything even remotely cartoon-like. Which is too bad because some of the nicest sketches are like that, I think.

I did a sketch that I'm kinda pleased with but my scanner, because the printer is out of ink, won't let me scan it. Which doesn't make sense.

I did a sketch that I'm kinda pleased with but my scanner, because the printer is out of ink, won't let me scan it. Which doesn't make sense.

What a very..... helpful machine.

what the? that makes no sense. You have to love technology :(

I can do coloring on the computer but not so much drawing. If I had a tablet or something like that I might be able to do better.

Some of the art people do on computers is just amazing. I'm blown away by the talent some folks have.

Another one I have to finish up and color in.

Both of your drawings are beautiful, Claddagh. I like your's too, Shoobydoo. I need more time in the day. We need to run on whatever it is the run on in MIB ;)

Here is one I did on the computer using my mouse. I have a tablet, but I'm just more comfortable with the mouse when on the computer, go figure. I really should use the tablet more.

post-132-1445199716959_thumb.jpg

Ha! I got it to work. What I did is access it through control panel, rather than pressing buttons on the printer (which, like I said, normally works).

This is an exercise from the Key to Drawing book I mentioned before. You're supposed to imitate Kathe Kollwitz's self-portrait:

2882fxh.gif

I couldn't get the mouth right on mine (and the nose is way wrong too, so is the line of her face, she looks like a monkey :lol: ) but It was my first time experimenting with shadows and highlights and that sort of thing.

2prv7o6.jpg

That's a great start, LMM. :) Faces are terribly hard to draw. I need to start doing some face practice myself.

http://www.jaimetreadwell.com/DCCC-Draw ... amples.htm

You might find it helpful to use lines and measurements to block out your image while you draw. That's how we did it in drawing 1 at school, and it's actually a lot more helpful than it looks. Start out with something small you can observe like a stack of books and measure out the angles with a pencil like that guy in the pic at the very top. The trick to consistency is to always make sure you're the same distance from the thing you're drawing and you always hold your measurer the same distance away from the body. You can also use this technique on printed pictures, like the face you're drawing, which I suppose is why I started typing all that out in the first place!

Archived