IGNORED

god made him a prophet the inmates will make him a bitch

The fool is so full of himself that he thinks go will be his lawyer. I wonder how his case will go without him there to defend himself? The guy deserves to get raped for the rest of his worthless life. He will be on the other end of the spectrum in jail and know what his wives went through.

Jeffs threatens court with Biblical repercussions

WILL WEISSERT

Published: Jul 29, 2011 3:49 PM

SAN ANGELO, Texas (AP) - A polygamist sect leader defending himself against sexual assault charges broke his silence Friday with a 55-minute sermon defending plural marriages as divine and later said God would visit "sickness and death" on those involved if his trial wasn't immediately stopped.

Warren Jeffs, 55, could face life in prison if he's convicted of sexually assaulting two underage girls. He has been representing himself since he fired his high-powered lawyers Thursday, but he made no opening statement and spent hours sitting alone at the defense table staring into space in silence while prosecutors made their case.

On Friday, however, the ecclesiastical head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints suddenly cried "I object!" as FBI agent John Broadway testified about seizing eight desktop computers and 120 boxes and large folders of documents from the church's remote compound in West Texas in 2008.

"There is sacred trust given to religious leadership not to be touched by government agencies," said Jeffs, who leads an offshoot of mainstream Mormonism that believes polygamy brings exaltation in heaven. The sect's 10,000 members see Jeffs as a prophet who speaks for God on Earth.

Jeffs then launched into a lengthy defense of polygamy, but Walther eventually overruled his objection. She said court rules prohibited him from testifying while objecting but she let him go on at length because he hadn't offered an opening statement.

Jeffs then said he had no choice but to read a statement from God. Walther dismissed the jury and allowed him to read it.

"I, the Lord God of heaven," Jeffs read, "call upon the court to cease this open prosecution against my pure, holy way."

If the trial continues, the statement said, "I will send a scourge upon the counties of prosecutorial zeal to make humbled by sickness and death."

Jeffs has frequently said the charges against him are the work of over-zealous prosecutors.

Walther responded to the statement by telling Jeffs he could not threaten the jury.

"If you call for their destruction," she said, "or in any way say that they will be injured or damaged because of their service, you will be removed from the courtroom."

During afternoon testimony from Broadway and other witnesses who detailed documents seized from the FLDS compound, Jeffs objected so much that Walther eventually had a bailiff remove his microphones.

It was a sharp contrast to his earlier silence and halting speech. When answering questions from Walther earlier in the week, Jeffs usually paused for a full minute or two and then spoke in slow, deliberate tones interrupted by long, awkward pauses. But his words flowed freely Friday.

Jeffs, who is schedule for trial on bigamy charges in October, said his church has practiced polygamy for five generations and believes it is the will of God, who is a higher power than courts, state legislatures and the U.S. Congress.

"We are not a fly-by-night religious society . . . We are a community of faith and principles and those principles are so sacred. They belong to God, not to man and the governments of man," Jeffs said. He also noted that polygamy "is not of a sudden happening, it is of a tradition in our lives. And how can we just throw it away and say 'God has not spoken?'"

Jeffs said FLDS members believe adhering to God's will, as stated by prophets like himself, is the only way to achieve eternal life in "Zion," or heaven.

"We do not seek your salvation," Jeffs told Walther and jurors, who watched and listened intently but made no visible reaction to his words. The judge turned down his repeated pleas for a separate hearing on freedom of religion.

Jeffs said Texas authorities had unfairly persecuted the FLDS just because its members are different from those of mainstream religions. Women in the sect wear prairie-style dresses and keep their hair tied up in tight buns that conjure images of frontier times.

"We are derided for how we dress, how we go about our laborers in a common society," he said. "The government of the United States had no right to infringe on the religious freedom of a peaceful people."

Jeffs said the courts and society are "not understanding our religious faith, yet judging it."

At the end of his speech, lead prosecutor Eric Nichols rose and said the Supreme Court ruled in the 1890s that religious freedom does not extend to polygamy.

The FLDS made headlines nationwide in 2008, when authorities raided its compound in tiny Eldorado, about 45 miles from San Angelo, after hearing allegations that young girls were being forced into polygamist marriages. More than 400 children were seized temporarily but eventually returned to their families.

Still, Jeffs and 11 other FLDS men were charged with crimes including sexual assault and bigamy.

All seven sect members prosecuted so far have been convicted and given prison terms of between six and 75 years.

Doggie- Just a note. You know we often comment on misspellings in blogs we talk about, but your posts often have misspellings in them and it makes me dismiss them. You might want to double check spelling before you post, since some of them do have stuff that could be interesting to discuss.

Doggie- Just a note. You know we often comment on misspellings in blogs we talk about, but your posts often have misspellings in them and it makes me dismiss them. You might want to double check spelling before you post, since some of them do have stuff that could be interesting to discuss.

ya caught that one. I know my fingers misspell the same words over and over and I tend to miss them.

ya caught that one. I know my fingers misspell the same words over and over and I tend to miss them.

I do the same thing, that's why I pointed it out. For years I always wanted to write friend as freind.

It's not his religion, or even his polygamist, isolationist, patriarchal lifestyle I mind so much as the fact that he married a girl who was freaking 12. And married other young girls to other men. 12-year-olds are CHILDREN. I don't care if they had their periods or God told you to marry them, it's sick and borders on pedophilia. What, were you trying to snatch them up early so another guy wouldn't beat you to it?

He's so deluded by his perception of his power that he's going to have to be in a segregated area in prison. He's a liar, schemer, and a child raper. Although I don't usually wish evil things to happen, perhaps this time karma will rebut Jeff's wish for retribution on the court back upon himself. Don't mess with the powers of the universe, they tend to come back and kick your ass. :naughty:

Prisoners who have harmed children are the lowest of the low in prison. He'll find that out soon enough... and he won't like it.

I know people who work in the prison system and as police officers and such. They have to keep pedophiles and anyone else who harms children away from the other prisoners, because no matter what the other prisoners did, hurting children registers as the basest of things on most of their scales, and they would seriously hurt/maim/injure/attempt to kill any of the child-harmers if they could. Or, so my friends tell me anyway.

The guy deserves to get raped for the rest of his worthless life. He will be on the other end of the spectrum in jail and know what his wives went through.

Not just his wives, unfortunately. I've got Brent Jeffs' book (I started a little FLDS related book collection) and he believes Warren and his brothers molested him as a little boy. A life sentence with a cellmate that loves to give anal wouldn't be enough payback for what Jeffs has done to others. Even after decades of rape as payback for those he raped, Jeffs would still need decades of torture for those he permitted to abuse others in his "church". Even when his congregants went to him with complaints of abuse, he allowed it to continue.

Prisoners who have harmed children are the lowest of the low in prison. He'll find that out soon enough... and he won't like it.

They have to kept in seperate cell blocks if not seperate prisons now. The other prisoners will kill them the first chance they get or will make a chance. Some prison riots are created just to kill the child abusers.

I grew up in a town with 9 prisons and everyone there had family who worked in the prisons my included. My sister still lives there and now is employed there herself even though she almost never sees a prisoner.

Quoted for Truth.

Saying someone deserves to be raped strikes me as extremely vile.

If you harm or rape a child you should die. Same goes for raping a woman.

Quoted for Truth.

Saying someone deserves to be raped strikes me as extremely vile.

Re-quoted for truth.

Guest Anonymous

"Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien via Gandalf the Grey

People make a joke of prison rape, but it's not funny. Rape is cruel and unusual punishment by any reasonable standard and as other posters have said, no one deserves to be raped. No one, ever. And as for the death penalty, I'm with Gandalf.

As I've said before, I hope he gets a fair trial that is not easily appealed. Because the prosecution has a very solid case, and I think he will be found guilty. I also hopes he doesn't receive any treatment in prison that makes him a martyr. Yes, I think some of the emotion behind the harsh punishments is valid, however it would only serve to make him a martyr and further isolate the FLDS from the world. There is a chance for a coup if he serves a long prison sentence.

lissar, you beat me to the quote! *edit* i hit 69 posts! *snigger*

the problem is that people like him violence would be the only thing that got through to him. no matter what he will think he is still the prophet god made.I see this with the people who let their children die . Even found guilty they don't think they did anything wrong and their church does not either.

Sadly, I don't think violence would get through to him, either. He'd probably love to feel martyred and persecuted.

I suspect the worst hell, for him, would be to be unimportant -- just another prisoner being put through day after dull, lonely day, by calm unimpressed prison staff.

And I dearly hope that's what he gets.

At the end of his speech, lead prosecutor Eric Nichols rose and said the Supreme Court ruled in the 1890s that religious freedom does not extend to polygamy.

Pointless. I wish the prosecutor had ignored the rantings about polygamy entirely, because this isn't a case about polygamy. It's a case about child abuse and sexual assault and I think the prosecution would have done better to point that out, rather than getting dragged into a moral and legal argument about whether polygamy is protected expression of religious beliefs under the 1st Amendment, or is a substantive right based on the implied right to privacy in marriages, or sexual relationships, or whatever. He didn't need to go there.

I have to agree with others -- No one deserves to be raped. We have the 8th amendment rule against cruel and unusual punishment specifically FOR the hard cases, where we would all emotionally like to see someone suffer in cruel ways for the cruelty they have done to others.

If you harm or rape a child you should die. Same goes for raping a woman.

But it's okay if a man rapes another man? Or, if a woman rapes a man? That doesn't deserve death by your standards?

Having seen the results of a man who was beaten to death and and sodomised violently with a metal pipe by his cellmate in jail (he refused his 'advances'), I think anyone who is enough of an animal to commit rape deserves equal punishment, whatever the gender of the abuser or the victim.

Archived