IGNORED

Rabid Genealogists Unite!

crazyforkate

My family has been in Texas since before 1830. I am a 10th generation Texan, Daughter of the Confederacy, and Daughter of the American Republic. I can't wait for my daughter to start filling out scholarship forms. She's biracial and that should put some of their knickers in a twist. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a genealogical freak! I'm working on mine, but we have a bunch of really common surnames, so it gets confusing. Add in disappearing and appearing relatives, and it's a mess! I do know that one ancestor had a large number of slaves, almost all young women and girls, which makes me very nervous, and there were soldiers on both sides of the Civil War; not surprising since Missouri was split between Union/Confederate, and that's where they were from. I was a member of Ancestry, but quit in frustration over the mess that's my tree so far. GenWeb has also been very good to me, but other than that, nothing else seems to be working.

• 3 months later...

Another genealogy freak here too. I have traced different branches of my mother's tree to the early 1600's and late 1100s. Some were easy since I am a Mayflower Descendant and that is documented. Once the line that goes back to 1175 got to England it was quite easy since many were Lords, Ladies and Knights and their history is documented. Sir Thomas Cooke, Mayor of London is my 22nd great grandfather. I have two 2nd great uncles that died in the Civil War and my 2nd great grandpa was wounded at Gettysburg and taken prisoner by the Rebels. I also have two direct descendants that fought in The Revolutionary War. It gets quite addictive the further you go back.

My family has been in Texas since before 1830. I am a 10th generation Texan, Daughter of the Confederacy, and Daughter of the American Republic. I can't wait for my daughter to start filling out scholarship forms. She's biracial and that should put some of their knickers in a twist. :)

I too have deep roots in Texas. One of my ancestors fought at the Alamo, and with all the documentation I'm eligible to be a member of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas lol. However I do believe they don't have someone like me in mind when they think of DRT lol (as in, short haired, tattooed feminist) :lol:

• 1 month later...

Haha, I had no idea that this forum was here until now. I didn't realize there were other genealogists / people into DNA testing on FJ. I've been into genealogy since I was a kid, and within the past couple years got into DNA testing because we wanted to find out more about my grandpa, who was adopted, and maybe connect with some of his biological relatives.

So far it's been great, but these shenanigans with 23&Me are driving me up the wall. My dad recently decided to do a DNA test. He chose 23&Me. He got in before the FDA cut-off so he should get health results, but now I'm hearing stuff about this new V4 chip and how it won't be transferable to Gedmatch or Family Tree DNA. The whole reason he chose 23&Me was so that he could get health results but also transfer his raw data elsewhere. He's still sitting at Step 3 'in the queue'. I'm going to be so pissed off if he can't transfer his results. He couldn't test at Ancestry because we're in Canada.

Ugh. I'm still looking forward to seeing his results, though, even though I've tested myself so I know there won't be any huge surprises. But I want to see what his paternal and maternal haplogroups are. Fun times.

• 2 weeks later...
Haha, I had no idea that this forum was here until now. I didn't realize there were other genealogists / people into DNA testing on FJ. I've been into genealogy since I was a kid, and within the past couple years got into DNA testing because we wanted to find out more about my grandpa, who was adopted, and maybe connect with some of his biological relatives.

So far it's been great, but these shenanigans with 23&Me are driving me up the wall. My dad recently decided to do a DNA test. He chose 23&Me. He got in before the FDA cut-off so he should get health results, but now I'm hearing stuff about this new V4 chip and how it won't be transferable to Gedmatch or Family Tree DNA. The whole reason he chose 23&Me was so that he could get health results but also transfer his raw data elsewhere. He's still sitting at Step 3 'in the queue'. I'm going to be so pissed off if he can't transfer his results. He couldn't test at Ancestry because we're in Canada.

Ugh. I'm still looking forward to seeing his results, though, even though I've tested myself so I know there won't be any huge surprises. But I want to see what his paternal and maternal haplogroups are. Fun times.

I'm in the same spot...they received my test kit on November 30th so I squeaked in before the deadline too. However, I haven't even received a confirmation that they have my test kit and it's been about 3 weeks. I just want to know it's in the queue :x

Oh, that sucks! My dad's just moved to step 4 finally the other day. Hope yours moves along soon, too.

Oh, that sucks! My dad's just moved to step 4 finally the other day. Hope yours moves along soon, too.

I got an email on Christmas Eve that the lab is now processing...yay!!! It will be interesting what comes back. I'm pretty sure the genealogy one will come back confirming what I believe to be true - that I'm an All-American Mutt!

Archived