IGNORED

Scrapbooking

Lynn18

Actually, I gave up scrapbooking for Lent...about 8 years ago! :whistle:

I have so many books started, but not finished. I don't have the room to set everything up and then start working and leaving it out. Always was getting destroyed.

Hopefully, now that one has left the nest, so to speak, I can get back and finish those books!

Hi Lynn, I'm in the same boat re no space to scrap and just getting back into it! I've kind of made up kits for each album, each in a plastic box that I can pull out and work on when the table is clear. Will work a bit on one of my albums today.

I have my stuff all "organized" - mostly. I decided not to do a full album for each kid's life - just their school stuff. Those are almost finished as once they get past elementary school, not much to scrap. And they get yearbooks.

I did birthday albums, small ones. Those are cute. I'm also making them Scouting albums. I have one Eagle and one almost Eagle. Those I haven't even begun!

Oh and I have this bright idea to do an album of all Christmas pictures. We'll see once I find some room!

I have so many unfinished scrapbooks. We obviously need an AA type group, since I am not the only one who has done this. Hello my name is Alysee and I'm in the midst of doing 4 scrapbooks simultaneously some started in 2008 that I haven't finished :oops: .

I used to go on a scrapbooking retreat with my friends every year. I would get totally caught up in that time (with a few exceptions, like my wedding album, I just scrap things in chronological order, so once I was caught up (sometime in the 1990's) I had a years worth of photos to scrap every retreat.) I totally recommend this for anyone who needs to get a large amount of scrapping done or wants to get a bunch of projects finished; it really focuses me because I am not distracted by other stuff (although there is one company I don't recommend because of their shady business practices; they operate mostly on the East coast and may be out of business now. Google before you pay.)

But, sadly, I have moved to the other side of the country and 3000 miles makes it hard to go to those things. I currently live in a tiny place, but I have a table (temporarily) set up in my living room. I'm doing an 8x8 book for my grandmother (pictures of her birthday when the family was all together) and then, if I'm feeling it, I will go on to the piles of personal pictures (June 2012 +).

I have scrapbooked and really i will get past the birth of my 11 yr old. (In fairness we had fires, death, pestilence and a criminal in our lives for 5 years which was very time consuming.) I do like to make postcards and just joind swapbot to do more of it. I mailed out five on Saturday! I really like doing quote postcards.com

Wow! Scrapper's forum! I love to scrap but find that when I am going thru funky stuff (dog's sickness, loss in my life) I am very unlikely to scrap so haven't done much at ALL in the last 10 months or so. I always find it so relaxing, though. I love looking through TwoPeasinaBucket.com for inspiration. Never scrap "chronologically," just scrap "as the spirit moves" and when I find a page that I want to copy. I just got a giant box of stuff from my mom's that had childhood pics in it so I am hoping to get back to it soonish....

I have scrapbooked and really i will get past the birth of my 11 yr old. (In fairness we had fires, death, pestilence and a criminal in our lives for 5 years which was very time consuming.) I do like to make postcards and just joind swapbot to do more of it. I mailed out five on Saturday! I really like doing quote postcards.com
Oh, could I get to see some of your cards? Pleaseee. :)

I don't put them in books, but I do make cards with pressed flowers from my garden, and a touch of silver ink. A few years ago I did about 130 for my niece's wedding invites, with the info printed on the inside.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o9YHwN8EiiE/TexSzxtXDuI/AAAAAAAAAtc/ZG4S-6I4QNM/s1600/030.JPG

I have a stone press that comes with two wool pads, and goes into the microwave. Little collections of flowers and leaves get stacked up on coffee filters, and they are preserved in about a minute. No color fade like slower pressing methods.

Maybe someday I will do a scrap book with them.

Wow, seems like I am in good company - I'm several years behind on our scrapbooks.

I've bought so many supplies over the years but just cant seem to find the time to sit down and actually do it.... Not having space to do it is an issue for me as well.

It's really weighing on me.... I lost a family member last year who was the keeper of our (extended) family's photos. So much history lost - who are these people? when and where was this taken?

I've decided to at least get all the pictures in regular albums (the kind where you can make notes on the sides) so they are at least organized.

• 3 months later...

I got seriously behind with scrapping, too. Then, I discovered mini-books, and realized they were a whole lot of fun! I love the challenge of a four-inch square, or six-inch. Much easier to choose a focus, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I apologize for replying on an older thread (I do admit that I'm trying to get my post count up :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: )

I'm from Europe, and every time I've seen an american movie (esp with teenagers) someone was making a scrapbook. With all seriousness, what it really is?

Is it (as I imagine) a book where you put important pics, locks of hair, draw something that at the time is important? I imagine it would be like a memory box, if you will? Or maybe as a ''what I want in my future'' book?

It really does sound like something I could enjoy, I keep a lot of momentos in a box ...

• 1 year later...

Since I'm new here too, I'll boost my postings by answer this older thread.

Scrapbooking is a sickness for some of us. We put pictures on decorated pages to document a life story. I take pictures of my family and put them in albums to have the stories recorded. I write down stories related to them.

The books are great to look back on to see how kids have grown.

I apologize for replying on an older thread (I do admit that I'm trying to get my post count up :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: )

I'm from Europe, and every time I've seen an american movie (esp with teenagers) someone was making a scrapbook. With all seriousness, what it really is?

Is it (as I imagine) a book where you put important pics, locks of hair, draw something that at the time is important? I imagine it would be like a memory box, if you will? Or maybe as a ''what I want in my future'' book?

It really does sound like something I could enjoy, I keep a lot of momentos in a box ...

• 1 year later...

So I'm really trying to pair down my clutter this year and I'm starting a cleaning out process.

Several years ago I was attempting to scrapbook.  I spent a shit ton of $$ and made all of one book.  I doubt I will ever do it again (although I'm holding onto the book).   I've (so far) put my supplies in a bankers box and I'm hoping to sell it on Craigslist.   

My question is does the stuff still have value?  In the mid-late 2000s, it was a trend du jour.  Do people still want scrapbooking supplies or has it all gone digital?   

20 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

So I'm really trying to pair down my clutter this year and I'm starting a cleaning out process.

Several years ago I was attempting to scrapbook.  I spent a shit ton of $$ and made all of one book.  I doubt I will ever do it again (although I'm holding onto the book).   I've (so far) put my supplies in a bankers box and I'm hoping to sell it on Craigslist.   

My question is does the stuff still have value?  In the mid-late 2000s, it was a trend du jour.  Do people still want scrapbooking supplies or has it all gone digital?   

Go to ebay and type in Scrapbook Lot with any key words of whatever you have the most of like punches, stickers, stamps, embellishments etc. Look at what comes up and also look on the left side and click on what's "Sold Listings." This will give you an idea if there is still any interest. I need to do the same thing and will probably do Craigslist too. Crafting is coming back in style again so there's hope!

My main hobby is traditional scrapbooking, but a lot has changed in the last 5-10 years.  

Sometimes that works in your favor (people need or want outdated things), sometimes working against you. 

Good luck in selling it all.  I know I've bought things at garage sales, so there's certainly a second hand market for supplies.  

(PS, if you get to the point where you don't want to bother, I've donated stuff to private schools, with great appreciation.  Public schools were leery and hospitals need unused items.) 

I went digital about five years ago and finally cleared out my scrapbook closet. I donated it to a local domestic abuse shelter.  They loved having some crafting supplies for the kids to play with.  It takes some effort to set it up as you can't actually go to the shelter and need to meet a representative off-site to hand over the stuff. 

I gave a box of cardstock and fancy scissors to my daughters' Girl Scout Troop (back before we un-girlscouted). They were happy for the donation, and used it for crafts and projects.

I gave a ton of my paper crafting supplies to the local Boys and Girls Club when I decluttered my house.  They were very glad for the donation.  

Shelters for indigent and low income women often have arts and crafts programs and likely would be very grateful for any donation.  I realize there are many other worthy causes if you do wind up donating - just throwing it out there.

I think you have to weigh how much you want to get rid of things versus how much you want to make money off it, and how long you are willing to sit on it. I don't  know if your community does this but we have several local garage sale FB pages. Pretty easy to post it and have people pick it up.

Archived