IGNORED

Wine Bottle Candles

Buzzard

Well, I guess I better start this thread off right... a tale of booze and FIRE!

Once upon a time I went to my friend's house. She has a fucking clue and is all crafty and stuff. I should stick to what I do best and buy things at Costco. Have I learned my lesson? HELL NO!

Anyway, she had these lovely lavender candles. They looked a lot like this:

il_570xN.228428440.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70345936/re ... nQodiU4ALQ

(not hers but you get the idea)

They smelled purdy. The edges were smooth, the wax was even. "Its easy! Here's the youtube video!"

yHWYjMlYH50

Cool! Off I go to Michaels!

Step 1 - obtain wine bottle. Empty wine bottle. Check

Step 2 - Wrap cotton string around bottle, dip in nail polish remover. Check

Step 3 - set on fire... fucker wont burn

Step 3.5 - pour more nail polish remover... light on fire... nope.

Step 4 - Start over on another bottle.

Step 5 - Give up on nail polish remover. RUBBER CEMENT IS A MUCH BETTER IDEA!

Step 6 - Watch burn, dont light your fingers on fire. Plunge in ice water. WOO HOO!

Step 7 - Fuck - edges wont sand down. Try dog's nail dremmel... give up on sanding edges

Step 8 - I should make 2. I can do better the second time. Obtain another wine bottle... empty...

Step 9 - Decide to hot glue wick to the bottom of the bottle.

Step 10 - Microwave soy wax. Add random amount of lavender oil.

Step 11 - Pour wax into bottles, watch hot glued wicks float to the top. Curse loudly. Hold wicks down as best as you can without cutting yourself on the jagged bottle edge.

Step 12 - Knock bottle over, spill wax everywhere.

Step 13 - Call friend and tell her "Its easy" my ass

Step 14 - Post on FJ

candle2_zpsf3e34bf1.jpg

Straight cut, my ass!

candle1_zps12645618.jpg

I ran out of wax

They seriously look like bombs. There is a third that I actually trimmed the wick on, still looks like it was done by a third grader.

Wine + Rubber Cement + Fire + Glass = :doh:

Well, I guess I better start this thread off right... a tale of booze and FIRE!

Once upon a time I went to my friend's house. She has a fucking clue and is all crafty and stuff. I should stick to what I do best and buy things at Costco. Have I learned my lesson? HELL NO!

Anyway, she had these lovely lavender candles. They looked a lot like this:

il_570xN.228428440.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70345936/re ... nQodiU4ALQ

(not hers but you get the idea)

They smelled purdy. The edges were smooth, the wax was even. "Its easy! Here's the youtube video!"

yHWYjMlYH50

Cool! Off I go to Michaels!

Step 1 - obtain wine bottle. Empty wine bottle. Check

Step 2 - Wrap cotton string around bottle, dip in nail polish remover. Check

Step 3 - set on fire... fucker wont burn

Step 3.5 - pour more nail polish remover... light on fire... nope.

Step 4 - Start over on another bottle.

Step 5 - Give up on nail polish remover. RUBBER CEMENT IS A MUCH BETTER IDEA!

Step 6 - Watch burn, dont light your fingers on fire. Plunge in ice water. WOO HOO!

Step 7 - Fuck - edges wont sand down. Try dog's nail dremmel... give up on sanding edges

Step 8 - I should make 2. I can do better the second time. Obtain another wine bottle... empty...

Step 9 - Decide to hot glue wick to the bottom of the bottle.

Step 10 - Microwave soy wax. Add random amount of lavender oil.

Step 11 - Pour wax into bottles, watch hot glued wicks float to the top. Curse loudly. Hold wicks down as best as you can without cutting yourself on the jagged bottle edge.

Step 12 - Knock bottle over, spill wax everywhere.

Step 13 - Call friend and tell her "Its easy" my ass

Step 14 - Post on FJ

candle2_zpsf3e34bf1.jpg

Straight cut, my ass!

candle1_zps12645618.jpg

I ran out of wax

They seriously look like bombs. There is a third that I actually trimmed the wick on, still looks like it was done by a third grader.

Wine + Rubber Cement + Fire + Glass = :doh:

:D I'm glad your feathers weren't singed! I hope you try the candle making experiment again..with better results.

My husband makes stuff with wine bottles as well and let me tell you...you ain't alone in the making the cut department.

He is of the opinion that it is flaws in the glass. :)

We had about 30 bottles of different sizes/varieties and his ratio of "good" cuts was 1/6.

Yup, it's the glass!

Oh that is gold, I have some little tears in my eyes!

I have just bought a heap of beeswax, and will attempt some candle making. Not with wine bottles though, just old jars. Like these I saw on Pinterest.post-3772-14451996036044_thumb.jpg

I think the wine bottles are supposed to be empty BEFORE you start the project, not emptied as you go along ;)

I actually think the edge is not that bad, though. If I thought about it for a while, I could probably come up with something to dress it up a little and it wouldn't look as rough, but like it was meant to be that way.

Do they smell good? I love scented candles, but I've switched to using reed diffusers stuck in a bottle of scented oil, because it's less dangerous to knock over a bottle of oil than a flaming candle.

Hahahahahaha! Buzzard, first of all, I love that you have a section of your very own on here. I may be joining you. So many Pinterest crafts, so little talent.

I think cutting bottles HAS to be hard! But I also think you went awry right on step one ("empty bottle of wine"), lol! ;)

Do they smell good? I love scented candles, but I've switched to using reed diffusers stuck in a bottle of scented oil, because it's less dangerous to knock over a bottle of oil than a flaming candle.

One of them smells good, but the essential oil mixture wasnt done right. Shocked, I know. I think if I did it again I would make the cut higher and just shove an existing candle in there.

I wish I could do it better because I think it would be really cool to have a way to forever re use a special bottle of wine, but... I'm clearly not the one to set shit on fire.

I will now blame the failed project on a flaw in the glass!

One of them smells good, but the essential oil mixture wasnt done right. Shocked, I know. I think if I did it again I would make the cut higher and just shove an existing candle in there.

I wish I could do it better because I think it would be really cool to have a way to forever re use a special bottle of wine, but... I'm clearly not the one to set shit on fire.

I will now blame the failed project on a flaw in the glass!

Well, let me know if you need any more wine bottles. I'll empty some for the team.

For what it's worth, your wine bottle candles look about 1,000,000,000,000,000 better than mine did. :?

If that isn't a statement that begs a picture, I don't know what is ;)

If that isn't a statement that begs a picture, I don't know what is ;)

My "creations" entered the recycling stream unphotographed. If you can picture jagged-rimmed, wax-streaked glass jars filled with unevenly poured wax that smelled vaguely of an old Indonesian taxi (jasmin and clove smell wonderful on their own and awful combined), you get the gist of what I did.

I'll help empty a couple bottles. Maybe if we all help Buzzard will be able to cut a straight line next time ;)

Seriously though, I think I really need to try this. Although perhaps I will coerce my headship into playing with the fire - I don't see it ending well if I try that myself

I'll help empty a couple bottles. Maybe if we all help Buzzard will be able to cut a straight line next time ;)

Seriously though, I think I really need to try this. Although perhaps I will coerce my headship into playing with the fire - I don't see it ending well if I try that myself

I cant wait to see the pics!

I gotta say to all who attempt... rubber cement on fire will bring out the pyro in everyone!

I have done candles in mason jars. As a so creative teen, i took my mom's liquor bottles and dripped candle wax on them for decorations. A cut wine bottle would be stitches for everyone in my house. Mason jars are easy tho..no random pieces of glass in feet, at least.

Were you sober when you did this? I would be plastered if I drank 3 bottles of wine in one afternoon.

Drunken crafting is like a drunk one night stand. It looks good at the time but you will regret it when you wake next to that ugly project.

Edited to add I have had to frog or fix a few knitting projects because I knit on them while a few beers.

Buzzard, I'm laughing toward you, not at you. :lol: And, yeah, I'll help you empty some bottles if need be...

Were you sober when you did this? I would be plastered if I drank 3 bottles of wine in one afternoon.

Drunken crafting is like a drunk one night stand. It looks good at the time but you will regret it when you wake next to that ugly project.

Edited to add I have had to frog or fix a few knitting projects because I knit on them while a few beers.

I was stone cold sober when this project started. I had 2 friends over (I'm not allowed to be unsupervised while crafting since I'm accident prone). We poured ourselves large glasses of wine to empty bottle 1. I was tipsy by bottle 2. They finished off bottle 3 while I fucked up bottle 2 and laughed at me.

I have to say, there was something VERY satisfying about hearing the "crack" when the bottle hit the cold water and snapped. I just wish I could get it straight. Dr. Google suggests beer bottle candles are easier since the glass is thinner... hmmm.....

I think that the yarn is suppose to be wrapped evenly around the bottle, with one strand right above the other. If its not even then you wont get a clean break.

• 2 weeks later...

I can not offer advice on cutting the bottle, but candle making can be dangerous! You have to use thr right wicks with the right wax and right size for the container.

T

Google some candle making forums and browse for info. Here is a good one that is linked to a supplier, Brambleberry. http://www.teachsoap.com/forum/

I showed my husband the video and asked if he thought I should try and he said "Honey, I love you, but you are not crafty. You would catch the house on fire and probably cut yourself with the jagged glass." He has a point. I'll stick to my pitiful cross stitching. At least then the worst I can do is poke myself with a needle.

• 3 months later...

The only wine bottle candles that I have had a bit of success are the ones that used a bottle of Gallo Chianti and stuck candles that dripped. The melted wax kinda cascaded down the bottle. Those were the days, btw the wine was awful.

Archived