duplessis3

This is a documentary on Netflix. Despite the streaming issues (curse you interwebs) this is a fascinating look at contemporary Navajo culture through the window of this one contest, which includes butchering a sheep as one of the skills that has to be mastered! Plus snippets of religion, daily life on some reservations (I am sure some have running water) as well as the history of the contest and its importance.

(totally off topic, but I am slayed that Aidan Turner is now secretly Bill Gothard.)

I will be looking into this, since I am interested in Native American culture, but as a vegan and animal lover it will be hard for me to sit through the sheep butchering.

Well, it is a very important part of the culture - one of the former Miss Navajos explains why, and what it is a symbol for. (Don't think one could be a very successful vegan out there either...)

Glad to hear its on Netflix, since I saw it in school a few years ago as part of an anthropology class, and wanted to show it to my daughter and husband.

It's an awesome documentary. I love a pageant that includes slaughtering and butchering a sheep. They don't show much of it, iirc, for the Squamish out there.

Archived