IGNORED

What the Heck Are You People Talking About?

happy atheist

This question is sort of OT for this thread but I don't want to start a whole new topic just for this soooo...Is there a general feeling here for or against thread necromancy?

There's no official policy.

My personal feeling is that if you know of an old thread on the topic and can find it relatively easily, then you should go ahead and revive it.

For Alectogate, you'll want to read the transition archive- viewforum.php?f=22

I can't access this thread/archive. What are the settings for users who can look at the Transition Archive? I also can't find a link to the Transition Archive on the board index...apologies if it's in a really obvious spot and I'm just being a doinkus.

There's no official policy.

My personal feeling is that if you know of an old thread on the topic and can find it relatively easily, then you should go ahead and revive it.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure about bringing threads back from the dead here because I don't see it too often, but that could be because it's more common to just open another thread about a new blogpost or other fundie-related topic.

Also, on a lot of older threads, I've noticed some of the smilies not showing up, but I'm able to see all the smilies used in new threads (by "new" I mean ones active after the transition). Not sure if it's my browser or something with the board. And the embarrassed/blushing smiley always appears as this one :oops: for some reason.

I can't access this thread/archive. What are the settings for users who can look at the Transition Archive? I also can't find a link to the Transition Archive on the board index...apologies if it's in a really obvious spot and I'm just being a doinkus.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure about bringing threads back from the dead here because I don't see it too often, but that could be because it's more common to just open another thread about a new blogpost or other fundie-related topic.

Also, on a lot of older threads, I've noticed some of the smilies not showing up, but I'm able to see all the smilies used in new threads (by "new" I mean ones active after the transition). Not sure if it's my browser or something with the board. And the embarrassed/blushing smiley always appears as this one :oops: for some reason.

I'm not sure why you can't access the transition archive, but the list of available smilies was changed recently.

This question is sort of OT for this thread but I don't want to start a whole new topic just for this soooo...Is there a general feeling here for or against thread necromancy?

If you ask 10 people you will probably get 10 answers :) We don't have an official policy, but like HA, I prefer necroposting if you know there is a prior thread and can easily find it. Some people may ask why you have necroed a post, but when you don't necro just as many people will ask what you are talking about and you have to go find the original thread anyway.

So basically you can't win either way :) Hence, I prefer the necroing.

Permissions are the bane of my existence. I'll have to take a look at them. The Transition Archive is in the Forum section called Board Business Archives.

I broke some smilies when I added new ones. We had duplicate and triplicate copies of the same smilies that were just different "codes" (ie: ;) :wink: etc), since there is a limit to the number of smilies you can have, I removed all the duplicates and triplicates so we could add more new ones. Unfortunately, this broke some of the older smilies. I've been trying to fix them when I notice them in older threads, but it's an ongoing process since our community loves their smilies :wink-penguin: It's the board, not you :)

What does "yah-some" mean/where did it come from?

Someone else can probably explain this better than I can, but I'll take a stab at it. It comes from Lina. She used to refer to Jesus as Yah a lot and someone here made a play on awesome with Yah-some in one of the Lina threads and it stuck.

@GodsKnickers (great handle, btw!): QFT stands for Quoted for Truth.

Permissions are the bane of my existence. I'll have to take a look at them. The Transition Archive is in the Forum section called Board Business Archives.

Hmmm, I only see four archives under that section: Community Action, News & Updates, Maintenance, and Financial Information.

I broke some smilies when I added new ones. We had duplicate and triplicate copies of the same smilies that were just different "codes" (ie: ;) :wink: etc), since there is a limit to the number of smilies you can have, I removed all the duplicates and triplicates so we could add more new ones. Unfortunately, this broke some of the older smilies. I've been trying to fix them when I notice them in older threads, but it's an ongoing process since our community loves their smilies :wink-penguin: It's the board, not you :)
Good to know. :) Thanks for answering more of my questions.

Someone else can probably explain this better than I can, but I'll take a stab at it. It comes from Lina. She used to refer to Jesus as Yah a lot and someone here made a play on awesome with Yah-some in one of the Lina threads and it stuck.

Thanks ^_^

I could be getting it wrong, but people would say that they want fundies to show up on Friday because they would have more time to read the threads.

I could be getting it wrong, but people would say that they want fundies to show up on Friday because they would have more time to read the threads.

I thought it kind of started with KISA (for newbies he was a fundie VF guy who showed up to dish dirt) who came on a Friday night. Then in short succession after that we had a string of fundies that showed up to learn us heathens some godly manners, and interestingly enough they always seemed to come on Fridays.

Where is the fabled thread about wearing black to a wedding?

What's the deal with the Prayer Closet? All I know about it is the user gets their name in gray type. What kind of forum behavior gets you put in there, and how do you get out again? I read something about it being put up for a vote, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

Where is the fabled thread about wearing black to a wedding?

What's the deal with the Prayer Closet? All I know about it is the user gets their name in gray type. What kind of forum behavior gets you put in there, and how do you get out again? I read something about it being put up for a vote, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

I don't know about the black to a wedding thread, at least off the top of my head, so someone else is going to have to handle that one.

The Prayer Closet, was formerly known as The Naughty Step by the prior administration. When I took over, someone I think it might have been, formergothardite said it should be called the Prayer Closet and I like that, so I changed it.

I'm not sure anyone really knows exactly how people get put on the naughty step, to be honest. I do think some people may have been voted on, if not formally, but kind of a raise your hand (ie: post here) type thing and the majority of people wanted those people to have their posts restricted for being disruptive.

We actually now have 2 levels of restriction, Journey to the Heart, is what the old Naughty Step was which is the more restrictive one and doesn't allow people to see/post in Chatter or AMA (even if they have enough posts to do so) and uh some other stuff, which escapes me atm. The Prayer Closet is strictly being on moderation and nothing else. If you could see/post in Chatter before, you still can, your posts just have to be approved first.

To my knowledge no one has ever gotten out. The Prayer Closet is meant to be temporary and folks in there will be released back into the wild. The Journey to the Heart people, will be voted on, I think. Most of them were fairly disruptive before they were put in there.

When I first took over, we did have a vote on several people that we were unsure why they were in there in the first place and it was voted they should stay until the transition was over and revisit it at that point.

Thanks for the explanation of the Prayer Closet, Curious!

Is there a designated place to request new smilies? I have a few ideas but don't want to drop them in a thread that might not get read by an admin. I guess here is a decent spot to post them...

-A circlejerk smiley, or a wanking one. (Just the hand motion. I've seen smilies that are actually ejaculating and just...no. :shock: No thanks.) So many of the fundies we follow are enormous wankers. It might be too NSFW, though. Also, though I doubt the board would be against those terms "codified" in a smiley or smilies, but I've encountered criticism of the words as being masturbation-shaming. Something I keep mulling over when I think about whether I want to keep the words in my active vocabulary.

-A little strawman. :D

-Some magical, mystical, mythical...a unicorn, maybe?

This has very little to do with my post but I've always wanted to use this smiley and never had the chance, so I'm ending the post with a baby. :teasing-binkybaby:

ETA unicorn.

Thanks for the explanation of the Prayer Closet, Curious!

Is there a designated place to request new smilies? I have a few ideas but don't want to drop them in a thread that might not get read by an admin. I guess here is a decent spot to post them...

-A circlejerk smiley, or a wanking one. (Just the hand motion. I've seen smilies that are actually ejaculating and just...no. :shock: No thanks.) So many of the fundies we follow are enormous wankers. It might be too NSFW, though. Also, though I doubt the board would be against those terms "codified" in a smiley or smilies, but I've encountered criticism of the words as being masturbation-shaming. Something I keep mulling over when I think about whether I want to keep the words in my active vocabulary.

-A little strawman. :D

-Some magical, mystical, mythical...a unicorn, maybe?

This has very little to do with my post but I've always wanted to use this smiley and never had the chance, so I'm ending the post with a baby. :teasing-binkybaby:

ETA unicorn.

There isn't one, but I'm happy to start one in the Suggestion Box. It houses other similar request topics like User titles and designs for the FJ store(s), so it will fit just fine in there. Great idea, btw. Usually I just poke around and look for stuff that is board related or amuses me. I have to say, I find looking for these little boogers a bit addictive ;)

I thought it kind of started with KISA (for newbies he was a fundie VF guy who showed up to dish dirt) who came on a Friday night. Then in short succession after that we had a string of fundies that showed up to learn us heathens some godly manners, and interestingly enough they always seemed to come on Fridays.

Does anyone know whatever happened to KISA? I vaguely recall that when he showed up, there was some discussion as to whether or not he was the real deal. Did we ever find out? I do remember thinking that it was weird that he seemed to post quite a bit over a few days, and obviously enjoyed the attention, and then seemingly disappeared without so much as a goodbye, or maybe I'm just mixing my fundies up.

Edited to add: Correct punctuation.

Does anyone know whatever happened to KISA? I vaguely recall that when he showed up, there was some discussion as to whether or not he was the real deal. Did we ever find out? I do remember thinking that it was weird that he seemed to post quite a bit over a few days, and obviously enjoyed the attention, and then seemingly disappeared without so much as a goodbye, or maybe I'm just mixing my fundies up.

Edited to add: Correct punctuation.

I might be remembering wrong, so someone correct me if I am, but I think Alecto vetted him as someone who would have insider knowledge of VF circles. He left to go watch Grey's Anatomy. I think he is still watching ;)

He said something about us little women learning to be nice and then he would come back and talk to us. Plus he had Grey's Anatomy to watch.