IGNORED

Former Child Bride Escapes FLDS - on 20/20

The FLDS were my gateway fundies as well, after watching a documentary on Flora Jessop, I immediately got sucked into the whole thing. My heart breaks for those who are trapped against their own will. It takes a lot to escape, and I am so glad that Ruby and her kids were able to make it out!

Every time I travel to SLC, I think of the FLDS. Their huge temple gives me the creeps, and Sevy hates going there for tours. Grandma had to bribe her with hot chocolate to keep her quiet (she is a free jingerite in the making! Always asking good questions).

I am totally fascinated with the FLDS since reading Carolyn Jessop's book. Thank goodness Ruby was able to get out, and with her children!

Lots of photos with the UK copy of this story. Ruby has aged a lot.

http://bit.ly/117rj9l

She's 26, but her face tells a different story. I'm 13 years older than she is, and I don't have half the lines she does. Poor woman.

In Carolyn Jessop's book, Escape, she mentions that women in the FLDS age quickly due to the hard life and so many childbirths. I think she said they look okay through their 30s and then age rapidly in their 40s.

In Carolyn Jessop's book, Escape, she mentions that women in the FLDS age quickly due to the hard life and so many childbirths. I think she said they look okay through their 30s and then age rapidly in their 40s.

Didn't she also write that a great number of them are on anti-depressants because of the hard living conditions?

I'm not sure why after reading about all the abuses going on there a million times, I'm still so disturbed by something like only feeding young growing children beans...

The Prophet's Prey by Sam Brower is a really great book that gives a really comprehensive view on these issues.

http://www.prophetsprey.com/

I agree about Prophets Prey. That one an Triumph, Carolyn Jessops second book, really bring to light how CPS ddopped the ball on protecting 300+ children.

This is a.wee bit off topic, but a very good book about traumatized children is The Boy Who.Was Raised by a Dog. It is by a child psychiatrist who treated the children of Waco and other cults. It is fascinating and heartbreaking. The FLDS children will be needing such help.

What I do not get is how Warren Jeffs is still able to control people from inside prison. Why is this? Other prisoners don't have this much leeway.

I'm not sure why after reading about all the abuses going on there a million times, I'm still so disturbed by something like only feeding young growing children beans...

The Prophet's Prey by Sam Brower is a really great book that gives a really comprehensive view on these issues.

http://www.prophetsprey.com/

Stolen Innocence is actually my favorite FLDS book (and I've gradually read them all) because Elissa has sass. You ever read a book and at the end you're like, "damn, I wish she could be my friend?" She's just unbreakable. Very inspiring. Sadly, her mother and sisters are still lost in FLDS.

Stolen Innocence is actually my favorite FLDS book (and I've gradually read them all) because Elissa has sass. You ever read a book and at the end you're like, "damn, I wish she could be my friend?" She's just unbreakable. Very inspiring. Sadly, her mother and sisters are still lost in FLDS.

I didn't enjoy Stolen Innocence that much because I felt like Elissa's coauthor overpowered her voice a bit. Still an interesting read, though, and I agree that Elissa's sass and moxie showed through. I just finished Lost Boy by Brent Jeffs, which was heartbreaking.

What I do not get is how Warren Jeffs is still able to control people from inside prison. Why is this? Other prisoners don't have this much leeway.

I don't understand this either. First of all, I can understand a few sheeple following his crap, but he literally has communities of people who obey him. But I must remember that most were raised in the faith and really don't know anything else. So when the man (use the term loosely) who they think is the closest thing on earth to God issues some dumbass statement from prison, they are too afraid to not obey. So very sad. I'm frankly shocked that some prison guards haven't "looked the other way" some time to allow the other inmates to deal with Jeffs in their own way. Pedophiles are usually not too popular in prison.

As I understand it, Jeffs has substantial resources so if I were a prison guard I'd make sure to follow the rules to the letter so that he couldn't get out or get moved to a more relaxed facility on a technicality. I also wonder if his cult of personality hasn't given him the transferable skills necessary to woo the prison population. I seriously hope not.

I remember watching "Child Bride of Short Creek" or something like that, with fascination when I was younger. I also recall being appalled that it was based on a true story! And in my neck of the woods! At least the neck of the woods where I grew up. I don't claim that state anymore.

I remember watching "Child Bride of Short Creek" or something like that, with fascination when I was younger. I also recall being appalled that it was based on a true story! And in my neck of the woods! At least the neck of the woods where I grew up. I don't claim that state anymore.

Loved that movie too! With the young Helen Hunt as the heroine's friend who is forced into marriage....

Didn't she also write that a great number of them are on anti-depressants because of the hard living conditions?

Yes, I think she said the number of antidepressant prescriptions in the community rose drastically after Warren Jeffs started regulating their sex lives, like saying sex could only happen for procreation purposes.

From what I've heard recently, he's said that no one can have sex at all because he doesn't want any child born in this wicked generation.

Loved that movie too! With the young Helen Hunt as the heroine's friend who is forced into marriage....

I think the late Conrad Bain was in it as well. It's hard to reconcile Mr. Drummond as the bad guy.

Archived