IGNORED

The Little Couple

Lillybee

I watch too much reality TV especially in the summer. That being said, this show is sweet.

There is nothing to snark about. They are a married couple who are doing well despite their disabilities. She is a neo-natal doctor. He runs a few businesses.

They want to get pregnant but due to her health problems are trying to use her eggs and his sperm but will require a surrogate. They are not bitchy, or snarky and live their lives with a lot of dignity. I love them.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a few episodes of that show once(where she was getting tests to see of she could carry a baby) and that was it because I don't have cable. So, can she carry a baby or is she too small? I wondered about that. I hope they get pregnant.They seemed like an adorable couple and I like that they are had successful people and not just reality stars.

I have watched several episodes. I like Bill and Jenn. I sometimes find the show a bit boring but I think it is getting interesting now they are starting the process to have a baby via surrogate.

I love this show! It's about the only show on TLC (or anywhere?) that features intelligent, likable people who are doing positive things in their lives. Dr. Jen Arnold is such an admirable woman. The things she's had to overcome to have the accomplishments she has today is remarkable. And her husband Bill is just a nice guy who adores his wife, and he's pretty funny too. I like that they never sink to bickering and putting each other down, but support each other in all they do. I really do hope they are able to have a baby via surrogate, but they seem to be ok if that doesn't happen.

I guess people might find it to be boring for the very reasons I like it. The absence of shrieking drama is refreshing, and I don't feel like I've lost several IQ points after watching this show.

I saw a few episodes of that show once(where she was getting tests to see of she could carry a baby) and that was it because I don't have cable. So, can she carry a baby or is she too small? I wondered about that. I hope they get pregnant.They seemed like an adorable couple and I like that they are had successful people and not just reality stars.

If I recall, it wasn't an absolute "no" on Jenn carrying a baby but her husband was not in favor of taking a risk with her life.

Love them!

If I recall, it wasn't an absolute "no" on Jenn carrying a baby but her husband was not in favor of taking a risk with her life.

Love them!

You're right. AFAIK it depends on what type of dwarfism the woman has. Jen is a little person, but does not have the kind of dwarfism where the torso is a average size. Her torso is little as well, which means if she were to get pregnant and carry the child, it would press up on her lungs and other organs and create serious problems. Amy Roloff had a different type of dwarfism where her limbs were smaller but her torso was average size so she was able to carry the babies to term and then have a c section.

As a disabled person, I really like the Little Couple show. Jen and Bill are both successful and they have positive attitudes about life. It bothers me how scripted TV usually portrays disabled people as men who weren't born that way, but got into some kind of accident which resulted in a disability. It's nice to see an example of a successful woman who has a regular job and a "regular" life for lack of a better word.

They seem very nice but I rarely catch the show. I mostly watch reality tv for snarking and I come up empty with this couple. Good luck to them they'll make great parents.

I adore her, him I can live with. I really enjoy this show because it's filmed in Houston & the Arnolds seem to live very near me, judging by some of the places they eat, shop, etc. I'm simple; it's fun to see the place you live on TV. Still waiting to run into them one day. :dance:

I love The Little Couple. I was in the NICU at the same hospital where Jen works. I wish I would have had a doctor like her. It's a great hospital. They saved my life.

• 2 months later...

The new season is on and there is absolutely no snark factor there. I do love them. It is nice to see a reality show that isn't nasty and the people in it are intelligent.

Guest Anonymous

I was able to catch a couple of the shows where they were evaluating her health vis a vis pregnancy. Lovely balance people, unlike most of the train wrecks on TLC.

Just want to say, although we don't watch it regularly, my 13yo daughter, who has wanted to be an OB/GYN since she was 3, loves Jen!!! She said to me a few weeks ago while watching an episode, "She is such an inspiration to me because she is doing exactly what I want to do, and her dedication and compassion is so obvious...the fact that she's a little person is nice, but she would inspire me even if she were 'normal' size!"

Funny, because she has also said that Jen's husband gets on her nerves. She thinks he's a control freak.

• 4 weeks later...

I love this show too. I find them really genuine and likeable people who really seem to be in love. I am really hoping everything goes well for the pregnancy with the surregote, I think they'll make wonderful parents.

The surrogate had a miscarriage. I feel so bad for them. I wish the Duggars could give them Jordyn since they don't seem to care much about her. Seriously, I hope that they think about adoption because they would be such great parents.

We love Jenn and Bill. No snarking allowed. THey are real people just living their lives together.

He's just a gem for a hubby. You can see that he really cares for her.

She's awesome all-round.

• 4 months later...

I watched the new episodes this past week and I really felt bad for Bill and Jenn when I watched the episode with the surrogate announcing her pregnancy. I heard about the miscarriage months ago but I felt bad seeing Bill and Jenn talk about it.

The surrogate had a miscarriage. I feel so bad for them. I wish the Duggars could give them Jordyn since they don't seem to care much about her. Seriously, I hope that they think about adoption because they would be such great parents.

Give them all the Howlerettes. Maybe Josie the Miracle Baby would get the help that she needs with Jenny and Jordyn getting the attention they deserve. Jen and Bill would appreciate those girls so much more.

Yup...Love Bill & Jen! Unlike so many others on TLC, they seem to be a geniunely sweet, loving, intellegent, level-headed couple. And, being only 4'10" myself, I tend to enjoy shows about little people since I can relate to some degree. And I think it's cool that they only live a couple hours from me, & that Jen works at the hospital where I spent a decent amount of time as a kid, too (Although that was long before she got the job there around the time she & Bill got married, & I wasn't an infant at the time, so I wouldn't have had any contact with the NICU.). But like y'all said, I can't think of one snarky thing to say about them. Broke my heart when I saw they had the miscarriage. But I thought the way they handled it & presented it on the show was so classy. Such a stark contrast to what we're seeing now with a certain other family! And I was happy to see they kept a good relationship going with the surrogate & that she was so ready to help them again & that Bill & Jen are also looking into adoption. I guess that's the closest thing to a criticism I have for them...That with all the trouble they had with ovulation, egg retrieval, etc., I wish they'd have looked into adopting sooner.

• 3 weeks later...
Yup...Love Bill & Jen! Unlike so many others on TLC, they seem to be a geniunely sweet, loving, intellegent, level-headed couple. And, being only 4'10" myself, I tend to enjoy shows about little people since I can relate to some degree. And I think it's cool that they only live a couple hours from me, & that Jen works at the hospital where I spent a decent amount of time as a kid, too (Although that was long before she got the job there around the time she & Bill got married, & I wasn't an infant at the time, so I wouldn't have had any contact with the NICU.). But like y'all said, I can't think of one snarky thing to say about them. Broke my heart when I saw they had the miscarriage. But I thought the way they handled it & presented it on the show was so classy. Such a stark contrast to what we're seeing now with a certain other family! And I was happy to see they kept a good relationship going with the surrogate & that she was so ready to help them again & that Bill & Jen are also looking into adoption. I guess that's the closest thing to a criticism I have for them...That with all the trouble they had with ovulation, egg retrieval, etc., I wish they'd have looked into adopting sooner.

I'm 4'11" so I relate to little people just a little too.

Maybe they just needed to go through the ovulation and egg retrieval to have peace that it wasn't for them after all. Wish we could see the future, but we can't (well, unless you're clibbyjo), so sometimes we just have to try.

• 1 year later...

I am starting this topic because Jen and Bill are so nice and kind. They are adopting a little child from China and their approach to adoption is so different than the fundies we snark on. They are studying Mandarin because they do not expect their adoptive child to understand much English. Since Jen is a doctor, I expect that they will address the issues that their child may have. I think that this adoption may be a positive thing for both the couple and the child. I hope that all will be happy.

I watched them last night. I've read a few blogs of people who have adopted from a foreign county and I don't think any of them tried to learn the language. (granted a few blogs is a very small sample). I think it is really great that they are trying to learn mandarin. Bill and Jen come across as very genuine and seem like they will be great parents. I wish them every happiness and look forward to watching their adoption journey.

*Slightly off topic* They bought a bunk bed with a trundle underneath for their son's room. All I could think of was the "How to put as many kids as possible in a room" thread.

Jen is the coolest person I've ever seen on any reality show. I'm in awe of her.

I am so excited for Jen and Bill on the adoptions of Will and Zoey. They will be wonderful parents. Will is so cute. I can't wait to see Zoey.

Archived