IGNORED

Toddlers and Tiaras

princessjo1988

Whilst being sick recently, I found some episodes on youtube.

And wow.

I was amazed at the actions of some of the mums, and how they can think it is ok to dress their daughters in some of the outfits and even go in the pageants to begin with! And the make-up! What are you doing to your beautiful child?!?

And I found out that they trying to bring them here to Australia! :shock::lol:

But it is like a train wreck and I can't look away. And I do like the gorgeous shoes and socks they wear. And their bedrooms are quite beautiful too (Why are they shooting some of the show in the bedroom I can't work out!).

But some of those Mamas need to take a long hard look at themselves and what they are doing to their daughters. :naughty:

I can't look away either. And it's not so much the mamas that get me; it's the kids! Some of the little girls are such brats - although sometimes I can understand how they got that way. I've seen episodes where the kids whine, and holler, and even smack their moms! And the moms just shrug and say "Well, she's a little diva!"

No, mom, she's an undisciplined hellspawn. And it's your fault.

And the money they spend on these pageants is insane.

Re: The money these pageants cost...I wonder if these mothers would be willing to fork out that sort of cash for college? Somehow, I don't see that happening.

I'm glad someone else shares my sick love for this show. I mean I know it's awful, yet I can't stop watching it?! It's horrible yet fascinating.

Is it almost exclusively a Southern thing? I never seen any Northerners so I wondered. Also the money is nuts! Just nuts! I mean, the dresses themselves cost upwards of a grand. Plus the hair, makeup, spray tan, other outfits, coaching etc. I'm guessing they charge at least a couple hundred to register/enroll in the pageant. Some of the prizes are only a thousand in cash. I think the biggest one I've seen is 5 grand. But that's only if you win the top prize. Eden Wood's mother said she has spent 15-20 grand on occasions. How does that even balance out? I mean you win next to nothing compared to what you spend.

Plus there's the stuff they do. I mean, on one I saw a mother getting her child (I think 7 or 8) highlights and a brow shaping and then she proceeded to shave her legs. Her leg hair was blonde! She hasn't even gone through puberty yet so dying her hair will cause damage. I mean it does to all hair, but I think there's a general rule that you don't dye until puberty because hormones change the hair. I'm not totally against doing kids eyebrows. I knew one girl who had really thick ones growing up that were bordering on a uni-brow so her mother let her get them waxed. I can see that. But this kid had normal eyebrows. It was just insane.

Not to mention it sexualizes little girls.

Has anyone seen the Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List Episode where she goes to judge/is in a toddler pageant? It's great!

And some of the judges (usually men) are just weird and I totally get a funny vibe off them. And I always think if they can be that sexualized, what is going on at home? How many people in that crowd are (and I hate to suggest it) pedophiles who haven't been caught? Ugh. Poor little darlings.

And yes some of the tantrums they get away with are amazing. I often wonder if they are putting them on for the cameras, or if the mamas are reluctant to discipline the way they usually would with the cameras around.

And a couple of episodes have shown girls who have grown up in the pageant world and are in their teens, 20's and 30's. I remember one who was in their "Mrs" division and her mother kept trying to give her pills (anti-anxiety etc)! WOW! And the way the kids are given pixie sticks and softdrinks (and one case, red bull) to keep them awake/pepped? You have to wonder how that will impact them later on with addictive behaviours etc. :S

It is like a trainwreck and I can't look away! And can I admit that I find some of the (more conservative) outfits really beautiful? :)

My favourite men are the ones who MC. One time the guy was in a Batman outfit. It was a giant gift from baby jesus with my name on it. I laughed until I couldn't breathe.

I love this show for the train wreckitude. I do love me some trashy TV. :)

Rarely there will be a family who's not so bad. A few episodes back there was a little boy named Brock who had a wonderfully supportive mother. She was helping him do exactly what he wanted with his life- dance lessons and pageants, WITHOUT trying to tell him it's wrong or make him be a manly man instead. He's going to have some tough times ahead of him as he grows up, but he'll have a great support network when the time comes.

For your viewing pleasure:

(not breaking the link because it's youtube)

It's a bit long, but you have to watch to the end.

I watch this show all the time too. I can't look away.

My absolute least favorite parents are the ones with more than one child, who outrageously favor one of their kids over the others. There was a recent one where they mom put both her son and her daughter in the pageant, and she wouldn't stop going on and on about how beautiful her son was and how he could beat all the girls because he wins all the time. Meanwhile both parents keep telling the little girl what a pain in the butt she is, and she was not even one of the most bratty. I remember another one where the mom finally had a girl after having 2 or 3 boys and she just kept going on and on about how depressed she would have been if she'd had another boy. I'd hate to be one of the sons in that family. I'm sure there's also some creative editing going on too, but some of the stuff they say is just horrible. And I get sick of hearing about how the kids have "so much personality", when what they really mean is that their kid is badly behaved to the point of violence and they can't control them at all.

There's a black lady (whose name I've forgotten) who is the director of the Universal Royalty pageants. She's been on the show several times, and I actually like her. I think she's the type to try and make sure the kids have fun and that everyone wins some sort of prize. I also think she knows which kids are actually sweet and well-behaved, and tries to see that they win some special prize for not being spoiled rotten brats.

Is it almost exclusively a Southern thing? I never seen any Northerners so I wondered.

There have been pageants featured in New York, Ohio and Indiana that I remember right off the top of my head, so not exclusively Southern. There are also child beauty pageants now in the UK and Australia.

There have been pageants featured in New York, Ohio and Indiana that I remember right off the top of my head, so not exclusively Southern. There are also child beauty pageants now in the UK and Australia.

Oh dear.

I have seen this quite often, and I just cannot get my head around dressing my kid up like a pinup and sending her out there to shake her booty and blow kisses and wink at the judges. Outrageous! I wonder how these moms don't fear they're raising little....sluts is the only word I can think of. My 12YO daughter has watched it once or twice with me and she is horrified by it. The amount of makeup they pile on is just so wrong.

I watch this show all the time too. I can't look away.

My absolute least favorite parents are the ones with more than one child, who outrageously favor one of their kids over the others. There was a recent one where they mom put both her son and her daughter in the pageant, and she wouldn't stop going on and on about how beautiful her son was and how he could beat all the girls because he wins all the time. Meanwhile both parents keep telling the little girl what a pain in the butt she is, and she was not even one of the most bratty. I remember another one where the mom finally had a girl after having 2 or 3 boys and she just kept going on and on about how depressed she would have been if she'd had another boy. I'd hate to be one of the sons in that family. I'm sure there's also some creative editing going on too, but some of the stuff they say is just horrible. And I get sick of hearing about how the kids have "so much personality", when what they really mean is that their kid is badly behaved to the point of violence and they can't control them at all.

There's a black lady (whose name I've forgotten) who is the director of the Universal Royalty pageants. She's been on the show several times, and I actually like her. I think she's the type to try and make sure the kids have fun and that everyone wins some sort of prize. I also think she knows which kids are actually sweet and well-behaved, and tries to see that they win some special prize for not being spoiled rotten brats.

Oh, this family broke my heart. I remember one scene in which stepdad was filling out some kind of entry or info form for the girl (who is not his bio-child). He read out "three words that describe her," and she immediately called out something like "pretty, playful, and friendly!" and he "joked" something like "obnoxious, annoying, pain in the ass." Then he read out "ambition in life," and the little girl called out "doctor!" and he "joked" something like "to make some man's life miserable." I just ached for that poor girl. I'm sure he would write it off as playful ribbing, but that kind of messaging on top of the way Mom appeared to favor the brother so heavily and the way stepchildren are often scapegoated....ugh. As much as I hate the whole idea of pageants, I was so happy when she managed to win a big title and her brother did not.

Whilst being sick recently, I found some episodes on youtube.

And wow.

I was amazed at the actions of some of the mums, and how they can think it is ok to dress their daughters in some of the outfits and even go in the pageants to begin with! And the make-up! What are you doing to your beautiful child?!?

And I found out that they trying to bring them here to Australia! :shock: :lol:

But it is like a train wreck and I can't look away. And I do like the gorgeous shoes and socks they wear. And their bedrooms are quite beautiful too (Why are they shooting some of the show in the bedroom I can't work out!).

But some of those Mamas need to take a long hard look at themselves and what they are doing to their daughters. :naughty:

My favourite episode was the one about "Sparkal Queenz.'

To me this phenomenon is child abuse.

I know that tends to be the TV edit for her, but in reality, she's a scam artist and gives prizezs based on who the child's coach is, and how much money the parent spends on entry fees. There has been a lot of discussion about her on another forum I am on that has a few pageant moms and former pageant moms from Texas.

Was this the same woman who, on one episode, took all the money for herself and canceled the pageant?

Was this the same woman who, on one episode, took all the money for herself and canceled the pageant?

Nope, that was a different woman. Her name was Lisa something, IIRC. Annette Hill is the director of Universal Royalty in Austin, and she and the pageant have been featured numerous times on the show. Everything Alecto said about her is true as far as I can tell, but she does actually give out the promised prizes (and it seems to me that EVERY kiddie pageant is run in the same manner...)

Seems Annette is really enjoying the added exposure of being on T&T every other week...UR's website, which I linked to above, is actually navigable these days....back when I first googled them, it was a hot Geocities mess.

I think a lot of children are quite right to shout at the mothers. I have seen a lot of children on the show who said the right thing (stop doing this to me, stop whatever) and if the mothers would just LISTEN, they might have a chance to not mess the children up. But they never listen. :evil:

My favourite episode was the one about "Sparkal Queenz.'

To me this phenomenon is child abuse.

OMG, I love that the one mom's defense of being a pageant mom is that it's "no worse than being a WELFARE mom".

Actually lady, it is.

Guest Anonymous

I can sew, and as a poor SAHM, i've been sorely tempted to make those G-d awful dresses and sell them for mad cash.

The icky factor is too much though.

I know that tends to be the TV edit for her, but in reality, she's a scam artist and gives prizezs based on who the child's coach is, and how much money the parent spends on entry fees. There has been a lot of discussion about her on another forum I am on that has a few pageant moms and former pageant moms from Texas.

Very interesting :think:

She stands out because she's been on it so many times...I'm sure she makes bank off the extra publicity.

Archived